Let the spoonfeeding begin. Watch

Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have noticed that alot of people moan about teaching quality. Espically, at uni as I looked at a league table that said Manchester is pretty poor for teaching quality. But, the problem is when at uni wouldn't you expect the spoonfeeding to end.

Certainly, some maths students in the big thread in the mathematics section kept on moaning that they had to self teach further maths. But, at the end of the day isn't that better in the long run then spoon feeding.

Anyway, moaning about teaching is stupid. At the end of the day you should be self studying. Its just annoying. For example, in FM I had to do D2 and nobody did homework as they had to read half a chapter to do question, althought I did do the homework and the teacher said that would be an advantage at uni.

I think the big problem with education is that you need people to become more active and less passive. But, then through primary school and secondary school your spoon-fed to a large degree.

P.S. Think for yourself. Learn by yourself. Stop being spoon-fed.
P.P.S. Ironically, I learnt about 90 percent of A levels on my own not including Psychology. Even then when it came to revision people wanted the teacher to talk instead of doing question, lazy idiots
mipegg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, having someone else talk you through complex problems is much easier than trying to figure them out purely on your own. Iv done FM too and lets face it, the text books are completely useless. Someone could get a degree purely off being able to understand that damn thing.

I do agree with you though that self teaching is required, for A-levels I would say this is more likely to be done in between lessons for your own grades. You would think that the whole new A* thing will be a good way to tell whos using their resources well and who isnt...
CertifiedAngel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I do agree with you that students are spoon fed way too much especilly in secondary school and that if they did it less it would be better preparation for uni.

However, like someone else pointed out some subjects/topics are harder to self-teach and sometimes you do need a teacher to explain and give you lots of help otherwise you will struggle.
Thatcher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had to teach myself AS economics this year because the teacher was that bad, i was not the only one.
blueJ-
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"Self-Teaching" and teaching yourself because you convinced yourself the teacher was so bad are two different things. Yes, self-study is better & more rewarding, yes it's harder, and?
Deadly Lightshade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What's the point of paying to go to university to self-teach?
Nouvelle vague
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Spoonfeeding ftw!

And awwww, I'm going to Manchester.....ahahah

EDIT: And plus, I had a teacher in A2 Maths would keep banging on about 'independant learning' and preparing for university. Problem was, we actually need to get a good grade in order to go to university. The fact that those predicted A's got E's in the mock was very amusing not to say to least.

But there were some laughs, law - "I have to stop doing things for you, I'm slowly becoming your *****". What a legend.
The Tingler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember, an anthopoloy professor always wanted us to tell her what we really thought.

Once she told a student to shut the **** up because she kept saying what her boyfriend had told her. "I don't give a **** what your boyfriend thinks!!" Lol

Sadly teachers like her are not the norm.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, spoonfeeding is obviously stupid. But not all teaching = spoonfeeding.

What do you think you pay tuition fees for btw? Just the degree?
nouvelle_vague
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Thatcher)
I had to teach myself AS economics this year because the teacher was that bad, i was not the only one.
Did you not make a formal complaint? My boyfriend's student rep made a complaint against one of his modules because the lecturer was either never there, or talking about being up all night because he had a new born daughter or something - as a result the majority of the class were going to fail their exams, and kept failing their essays because they didn't know what they were doing.

They wrote a complaint to the dean and passed the module with a basic 40%. They're pushing hard to get some of their student finance back too which will be about £1000, it's not really fair paying to be taught and then getting nothing.

I do agree that we should be teaching ourselves, but I disagree that we are being spoon fed at uni. My lecturers are excellent, they put things online so I can study from home, but their lectures are all incredibly in depth so I can divulge their knowledge and learn from them...surely if we were all supposed to self learn, there'd be no point in lecturers...or even having to go to uni,w e could do it online -.-
gez_09*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
I have noticed that alot of people moan about teaching quality. Espically, at uni as I looked at a league table that said Manchester is pretty poor for teaching quality. But, the problem is when at uni wouldn't you expect the spoonfeeding to end.

Certainly, some maths students in the big thread in the mathematics section kept on moaning that they had to self teach further maths. But, at the end of the day isn't that better in the long run then spoon feeding.

Anyway, moaning about teaching is stupid. At the end of the day you should be self studying. Its just annoying. For example, in FM I had to do D2 and nobody did homework as they had to read half a chapter to do question, althought I did do the homework and the teacher said that would be an advantage at uni.

I think the big problem with education is that you need people to become more active and less passive. But, then through primary school and secondary school your spoon-fed to a large degree.

P.S. Think for yourself. Learn by yourself. Stop being spoon-fed.
P.P.S. Ironically, I learnt about 90 percent of A levels on my own not including Psychology. Even then when it came to revision people wanted the teacher to talk instead of doing question, lazy idiots
I agree. I know of loads of people who found uni such a shock, and has no idea that they had to do A LOT of self study and research. I'm not at uni til next year (hopefully!), but my college is really harsh on the students because they are preparing us for uni. Most of the stuff my class has learnt has been through our own research and assignment (partly because the tutors are useless). It annoys me when people think that higher/further education is as easy as school. Welcome to the real world I say!
IGX_RSV2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
P.P.S. Ironically, I learnt about 90 percent of A levels on my own not including Psychology.
Pic or it didnt happen
GazzyG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I do agree that students shouldn't be 'spoonfed.' Nothing worse than someone not bothering to do something simply because it required a little bit of thinking for themselves and getting off their ass.

However, it's unreasonable to expect an undergrad to do everything by themselves, all of the time. What's the point of the £3225 or whatever they're paying if they're doing all the work themselves?

There has to be a balance.
Ijustdon'treallyknow
Badges: 9
Report 9 years ago
What's the point of classes if you should self-teach then anyway? Although I do agree with the whole 'spoon feeding' thing...
weet_ABI_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In A Levels I had awful lesson attendance and when I went barely ever paid attention, and at the end taught it all to myself from the books and got straight A's. But that's just the way I learn. Some people learn from being shown by someone else, and if that's the way that works best for them and teaches them the most why should they be attacked for it?
Jelkin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is a difference between teaching and spoon-feeding, and I'm sure as hell not paying £3k a year to use a library. (Actually, apparently I am ...)

I do think A levels should be preparing students for uni far more than they do, though.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
What's the point of paying to go to university to self-teach?

in some degrees you're just paying to take the exams, attend lectures/use equipment/libary
mcp2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I personally prefer to self teach as the teacher goes too slow for me, but it's extremely helpful to have someone there that can help you with whatever you're doing. E.g. I'm teaching myself further maths, with another 3 pupils but whenever we're stuck, we can just ask our maths teacher. I do believe that it's good to learn how to self-teach now before it be a big shock when arriving at uni.
james_dow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i do this mainly near exam time when no one seems to use lesson time to revise for some reason, guess it depends on the complexity of the subject though.
Grapevine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In order to get the grades I have done, I had to do a lot of self-teaching from GCSE onwards.

Quite a few of the teachers I had weren't that great and other students made it hard to learn so I just gradually started to teach myself the topics (usually < 1 month before the exams).

I don't really see why good teaching quality matters at university for the majority of courses. It's all about teaching yourself and reading things in your own time (so I understand)...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads