Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily think that the spectrum of 'teaching quality' has 'spoonfeeding' at one extreme and 'not doing anything' at the other.

Teaching quality is more about the clarity and lucidity of explanations, rather than how much of an explanation there is.

For me, the bottom end of the 'teaching quality' scale, is a teacher who attempts to teach, but does so in an incoherent way, making relatively simple concepts difficult to comprehend, when they are lost in an unstructured mess of an explanation. And at the high end, there is that lucidity and clarity I mentioned earlier.

Perhaps it is not that Manchester just don't teach, leaving the students to do it themselves, but instead, they do teach, but in a manner that makes it difficult for the students to do their part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    althought I did do the homework and the teacher said that would be an advantage at uni.
    I learnt about 90 percent of A levels on my own not including Psychology.
    Good for you?

Even then when it came to revision people wanted the teacher to talk instead of doing question, lazy idiots
    Perhaps they learn best like that?

A-levels are what you make of them. If a teacher gives you information because all you want to do is pass the exam, then ****ing great.
    If a teacher gives you information in addition to you wanting to learn then ****ing great, the fact that you've been given the information rather than found it out for yourself should be irrelevant to your passion for the subject. You can now go that extra mile beyond what you've been taught on your own.

I dont really see what you're saying. Forcing non-independant learners to be independant undermines the whole concept of being independant. If people want to learn about the subject they'll do it, irrespective of A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Surely most people are asking for a starting point? I know I was (and never got it) when I was doing programming - which I'd never done before and needed a bit of a push...

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that alot of people moan about teaching quality. Espically, at uni as I looked at a league table that said Manchester is pretty poor for teaching quality. But, the problem is when at uni wouldn't you expect the spoonfeeding to end.

Certainly, some maths students in the big thread in the mathematics section kept on moaning that they had to self teach further maths. But, at the end of the day isn't that better in the long run then spoon feeding.

Anyway, moaning about teaching is stupid. At the end of the day you should be self studying. Its just annoying. For example, in FM I had to do D2 and nobody did homework as they had to read half a chapter to do question, althought I did do the homework and the teacher said that would be an advantage at uni.

I think the big problem with education is that you need people to become more active and less passive. But, then through primary school and secondary school your spoon-fed to a large degree.

P.S. Think for yourself. Learn by yourself. Stop being spoon-fed.
    P.P.S. Ironically, I learnt about 90 percent of A levels on my own not including Psychology. Even then when it came to revision people wanted the teacher to talk instead of doing question, lazy idiots
    Well done, do you want a medal? I had to teach FM basically all to myself (literally the whole of D2 to myself). It's called being able to adapt :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Well done, do you want a medal? I had to teach FM basically all to myself (literally the whole of D2 to myself). It's called being able to adapt
    No. That wasen't the point of this thread.

(Original post by LearningMath)
    I dont really see what you're saying. Forcing non-independant learners to be independant undermines the whole concept of being independant. If people want to learn about the subject they'll do it, irrespective of A-levels.
    I don't think there is such a thing as a independant learner or non independant learner. Surely, forcing people to become independant is the best thing.

(Original post by Phugoid)
    Teaching quality is more about the clarity and lucidity of explanations, rather than how much of an explanation there is.

For me, the bottom end of the 'teaching quality' scale, is a teacher who attempts to teach, but does so in an incoherent way, making relatively simple concepts difficult to comprehend, when they are lost in an unstructured mess of an explanation. And at the high end, there is that lucidity and clarity I mentioned earlier.
    I don't know. I think most people want to get spoon-fed. For example, in maths class my maths teacher basically had to spoon feed how to use pdf every lesson. I was talking with him after maths class and he asked me if what he said made sense because it took the class about ages to understand it over a couple of lessons.

I still think the problem was largely students and not teachers.

(Original post by llys)
    Well, spoonfeeding is obviously stupid. But not all teaching = spoonfeeding.

What do you think you pay tuition fees for btw? Just the degree?
    Actually, yeah I only want the degree as I need a degree in the subject I'm doing to do a phd in the subject then become a researcher in university.

P.S. Grothendieck is a good example of what people should be aiming for.

ReputationRep:
    whats the best way to do independent study/self learning/teaching?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.