Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for RAF Regiment, but it as only just occured to me that there may be some form of eye sight requirements?

Currently, I am supposed to wear glasses for things such as reading off the board at college, watching TV from a distance etc. but I have quite a weak lense thing...

The thing is, I never actually wear them, I get on in day-to-day life without a problem (although sometimes things such as reading the score on the little box in the top of the TV screen on a rugby match can be an issue)

Will this hold me back?

I have stated that I wear glasses on my application and if joining the RAF Regiment means I will HAVE to wear them, I will!

Thanks
    Ollie

ReputationRep:
    You cant become a pilot if thats what job youwant to do in the RAF unless you have perfect 20/20 vision. I think you can get lasser eye surgery and then be a pilot though. Other jobs in the RAF you dont need perfect vision though.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Do a search. The eyesight requirements are uploaded into here at least once a month. There is a thread just half way down the front page of the forum that contains them.

ReputationRep:
    I have found out that it can be +8.00 for RAF Regiment...

Not sure what mine is at the moment, but I have a feeling that +8.00 is quite bad eyes isnt it?

Also, say that I do the test and they tell me that I will need glasses, im guessing I will have to wear them throughout my RAF career?

As the only reason I dont wear them at the moment is that the hassle of wearing them outweighs the benefit I get from wearing them, so they generally get left in the draw! So in training could I just go on as I am now? i.e technically having to wear glasses...but never do?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You could, but you are damaging your eyes, risking your long term optical health and could end up being quite dangerous. You have been given glasses to wear and told when to wear them by a professional. By not wearing them you are straining your eyes and probably making them worse. The 'hassle' of wearing them doesn't outweigh the benefits - when you come to things like driving you could be putting others at risk. Oh - firing a rifle usually requires a lack of blurred vision.

ReputationRep:
    How is it hassle to wear glasses? I've been doing so since I was 11, it's hardly tricky to wake up in the morning and put them on. Contacts, admittedly, makes things a bit more troublesome, but still provide no more than a minute's faff time twice a day. If you can't put up with that... well.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do agree and take that on-board ProStacker....as I say....I am willing to wear the glasses if the benefit is a career in the RAF (oh..and being able to see better!)

As for the driving - I asked the optician if I had to wear them for driving and he told me that I should be OK without them, but if I want to wear them thats fine..plus I did the little vision test thing on the driving test (looking at a car number plate from 25m or some distance like that) and I could read it fine.

Yes, it would not be a good idea to fire a weapon with blurred vision, but I wouldnt really class myself to have 'blurred vision' as when I do wear my glasses, there is an improvement but when I take them off things dont seem blurry.

I am due an opticians appointment soon, so I will ask what their opinion is on the situation...plus the outcome of not wearing them over a long period of time. I have 'worn' them for about 7-8 years (probably about 24hrs of actual time the glasses have been in use) and my eyes have not got any worse...but I suppose this could change over say 30-40 years!

ReputationRep:
    Drewski, I was instructed not to wear the glasses all the time...only to wear them as and when required, as wearing them all day was not really necessary. So the hassle side of things comes when I would have to keep them with me, in a bag or pocket...then when I do need them, I had to clean them then put them on, then half an hour later take them off etc.

Plus I had some form of OCD about scratches on them...as I couldnt hack it if there were smudges, as I would not be able to wear them happily if parts of my vision were blurred out my a chocolate fingerprint or something!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You have a skewed opinion of whether your vision is good or not - as you have allowed the unaided vision to become normal to you for the majority of the time. If you wore your glasses all the time you are supposed to, then you'd notice it more. I went through this myself and have seen many others do the same. Specs are not an issue and at some point in the future your life and that of a friend / comrade might depend on this.

You can get cases for glasses these days too!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.