Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else started reading it yet? I assume they are sending it out to all new students, me and my friend were both sent copies this morning. I must say it is shaping up to be a really good read!

Thought this was a really good idea on Richardson's part, might read it myself.

ReputationRep:
    Not heard of this, whats going on?

terpineol,

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/news/stories/1232

(Original post by Man Booker Prize)
    Mohsin Hamid's acclaimed novel The Reluctant Fundamentalist is to be required summer reading for all new students at one of Britain's leading universities.

The University of St Andrews is gifting a copy of the 2007 Man Booker Prize-shortlisted work to every one of its 1500 new undergraduates in a new initiative designed to offer students a common topic for discussion and focus energies on reading and intellectual debate.

The scheme was conceived by University Principal Dr Louise Richardson and Jonathan Taylor, chair of the Booker Prize Foundation who are generously supporting the project. Each year a different work from the prize shortlist will be chosen to send to all St Andrews intending undergraduates.

Jonathan Taylor said: "St Andrews is to be congratulated on launching this exciting initiative which is unique amongst universities in the UK."

Mohsin Hamid has agreed to visit St Andrews for two days in October 2009 to give a lecture, read from his works and sign copies of his book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebotron)
    Has anyone else started reading it yet? I assume they are sending it out to all new students, me and my friend were both sent copies this morning. I must say it is shaping up to be a really good read!
    I loved that book, so easy to read

ReputationRep:
    The joys of international post. I'll probably be out of the country by the time it gets here.

ReputationRep:
    I want one!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, loved this. Apt narrative style combines with fascinating characterisation to give one of the most engaging books I've read in a long while. Hamid is a brilliantly keen observer of humanity, an almost unique blend of psychologist and satirist. All the elements of a future classic IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    terpineol,

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/news/stories/1232
    *******s, I want one.

Thanks for explaining though.

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    It's here! Only 11 days after my post!

ReputationRep:
    What? I haven't received any package yet, and I'm just across the channel.

ReputationRep:
    Me neither. And as far as I know, there aren't many other new undegraduates from the eastern mediterenean region, so I guess it will take long to receive my copy. I'm waiting for the postman every morning!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't gotten it either. Their probably using the cheapest way to send it overseas, so it'll probably be a while. I can't wait to read it though!

ReputationRep:
    Must be sending it in batches, say "UK, America and then Europe". It's impossible, if they sent it at the same time, that I got it earlier here in Peru than you guys in Europe.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm surprised no-one else thinks this is a total waste of money. While I can see some people reading and enjoying the book, most people are going to take one look at it then throw it in an oxfam bag. The university could have spent this money on much more worthwhile things; instead they've started hitting up all the alumni for donations to waste on rubbish like this.

ReputationRep:
    I still have not received the book. Am I the only one, or are others awaiting theirs as well?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea. But probably not to everyone's tastes. A choice of books would defeat the object though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaandreaaa)
    I still have not received the book. Am I the only one, or are others awaiting theirs as well?
    Nah, I haven't gotten my copy either.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have it yet either :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.