Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to read PPE in Oxford, and the official website states that roughly 20% of applicants get an offer.

Is this ratio equal across all colleges? And if not, is there anywhere that I can check how many applicants per place does each college usually get?

ReputationRep:
    There is a system in place to ensure that no college is easier to get into than another. (Edit, to ensure the university is no easier to get into by applying to certain colleges - what I said before didn't really make sense.) If one college has more good applicants than places, these applicants will be a alotted places in less popular colleges. Is this what you meant?

And I don't think (not 100% certain) that there is anywhere you can check college success rates in order to avoid the situation of people second guessing which colleges are easier to get into. An Oxford tutor also told me that the number of applications to different colleges for no real reason varies wildly each year anyway.

(Original post by JW92)
    There is a system in place to ensure that no college is easier to get into than another. If one college has more good applicants than places, these applicants will be a alotted places in less popular colleges. Is this what you meant?
    Well not quite.

ReputationRep:
    Don't plan your application on this kind of information... sometimes what seems like 'popular colleges' can even get fewer applicants per place than other colleges because they seem to popular, whilst 'less popular' colleges could be more competitive because everyone started thinking like you and applied there.... and as JW92 said, they try to balance it out anyways.

So I guess what I'm trying to get across is, just apply to whatever college you genuinely like. There is no point in trying to analyze any numbers.

From what I do understand, the ratios vary greatly for year to year and as far as I know they do not publish individual college applicant-to-place ratio because people try otherwise (wrongly) to use the information when deciding where to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Well not quite.
    Are some colleges easier to get into than others?

ReputationRep:
    some colleges are easier to get into than others.
    however, your probability of getting an offer from *oxford* isn't contingent on the college you apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Yes, but that doesn't mean that it's easier overall to get into Oxford by applying to a particular college. They try to balance it out by reallocating applicants from the hugely oversubscribed colleges. Obviously if one college gets a huge number of applicants one year than that college will be harder to get into, as the tutors will pick the best of that bunch. But that doesn't make it easier for people in other colleges to get into Oxford overall, as a lot of the applicants will be reallocated.

So if you apply to a heavily oversubscribed college, you will have less of a chance of getting into your chosen college, but (in theory - this is debated) the same chance of getting into Oxford overall.

Conclusion: just apply to the college you like best.

ReputationRep:
    some will be one year but not the next, so you might get lucky but you might not, its best to choose the one you want for other reasons. If you really want to play the system like that then those at the top of the Norrington table tend to be seen as more competitive and the newer colleges tend to be seen as less so. Whether these stereotypes are justified, i dont know.

ReputationRep:
    more specifically:

http://search1.ucas.co.uk/fandf00/index9.html

Go 'start a new query'
    choose UK
    choose 2008
    choose Institution name
    choose ALL and 'Get Results Now'
    Choose 'Degree applications' and 'Degree accepts'

i think this is what you're looking for

ReputationRep:
    Unlike Cambridge, oxford don't release statistics on applications to particular colleges.

It is known, however, that certain colleges are more popular than others.

If you apply by open application, for example, you'll probably get put into Hilda's, because it's less popular.

ReputationRep:
    No, he wants info on specific colleges within the University of Oxford

(Original post by JW92)
    Sorry that was horrendously pedantic of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woeykitt)
    more specifically:

http://search1.ucas.co.uk/fandf00/index9.html

Go 'start a new query'
    choose UK
    choose 2008
    choose Institution name
    choose ALL and 'Get Results Now'
    Choose 'Degree applications' and 'Degree accepts'

i think this is what you're looking for
    No, he wants info on specific colleges within the University of Oxford

I have applicants per place data per college. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Yes. You are more likely to get into St Hugh's than Merton or ChCh, for example.

ReputationRep:
    I have applicants per place data per college. :p:
    How much do you want?

(Original post by bodybuilder22)
    How much do you want?
    This is from when I was in L6, which is old

ReputationRep:
    This is from when I was in L6, which is old
    But probably still relevant; although applications fluctuate, it would at least give us some idea of colleges' popularity.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that was horrendously pedantic of me.
    It was also pretty dense of me, don't worry.

(Original post by bodybuilder22)
    But probably still relevant; although applications fluctuate, it would at least give us some idea of colleges' popularity.
    I cant find it. Swear I still had it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.