Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    Yes. You are more likely to get into St Hugh's than Merton or ChCh, for example.
    I know someone who applied to Merton and ended up at Christ Church bizarrely. I don't think you can second guess the popularity of colleges that much.

ReputationRep:
    But probably still relevant; although applications fluctuate, it would at least give us some idea of colleges' popularity.
    Which subject(s) are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I don't know about Oxford - but here's one for cambridge if anybody's interested:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoo...siest-col.html

I thought it was pretty useful!

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about the number of applicants either, don't forget. A college can get absolutely loads of applicants and find that virtually all of them aren't good enough to get into Oxford and end up taking people who are pooled, whereas another college could have fewer applicants per place but find they're of a higher standard.

ReputationRep:
    Haha stupid question, do you specify your second choice or is it randomly allocated? Can you state a 1st choice preference then leave your second choice as like an "open applicantion"?

ReputationRep:
    randomly allocated, you don't get to specify

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Which subject(s) are you interested in?
    English

ReputationRep:
    The numbers game is a bit iffy.

I applied to Hildas (a low college), and then got into Corpus, which is smaller and higher in the Norrington. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    English
    These are the average figures for 2003-2005. Note that St Hilda's was an all-female college at this point, so it received significantly fewer applicants than it now will. Make what you will of these numbers.

Balliol 5.0
    Brasenose 4.9
    Christ Church 3.6
    Corpus Christi 4.6
    Exeter 4.9
    Hertford 4.5
    Jesus 4.5
    Keble 3.4
    LMH 3.4
    Lincoln 4.3
    Magdalen 7.5
    Mansfield 2.8
    Merton 4.0
    New College 5.5
    Oriel 7.1
    Pembroke 3.9
    Queen's -
    St Anne's 2.4
    St Catharine's 2.9
    Teddy Hall 4.2
    St Hilda's 1.7
    St Hugh's 2.3
    St John's 4.1
    St Peter's 2.7
    Somerville 2.8
    Trinity 4.5
    University 3.5
    Wadham 5.0
    Worcester 5.3
    University Average 3.8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Oriel 7.1
    University Average 3.8
    :gasp:

Really? Good taste, though. :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by BJack)
    These are the average figures for 2003-2005. Note that St Hilda's was an all-female college at this point, so it received significantly fewer applicants than it now will. Make what you will of these numbers.
    Another thing which needs to be added to those figures is that those are only direct applications, i.e. pooling isn't taken into account at all. It's pretty much a given that quite a few of the people who applied to Oriel would have ended up elsewhere, while St Anne's would have taken quite a few candidates who were pooled by other colleges. So the actual 'success rates' weren't really as dire/favourable as that list would suggest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that as well. These figures are potentially useful for deciding which college to apply to — you're more likely to get into the college you apply to if you apply to a college with fewer applicants, though your chance of getting in to Oxford is (hopefully) unaffected by your choice of college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)

Balliol 5.0
    Brasenose 4.9
    Christ Church 3.6
    Corpus Christi 4.6
    Exeter 4.9
    Hertford 4.5
    Jesus 4.5
    Keble 3.4
    LMH 3.4
    Lincoln 4.3
    Magdalen 7.5
    Mansfield 2.8
    Merton 4.0
    New College 5.5
    Oriel 7.1
    Pembroke 3.9
    Queen's -
    St Anne's 2.4
    St Catharine's 2.9
    Teddy Hall 4.2
    St Hilda's 1.7
    St Hugh's 2.3
    St John's 4.1
    St Peter's 2.7
    Somerville 2.8
    Trinity 4.5
    University 3.5
    Wadham 5.0
    Worcester 5.3
    University Average 3.8
    So is this applications per place?

ReputationRep:
    So is this applications per place?
    Yes. This is the number of people that applied per place per year to each college, in the period 2003-2005.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get that infomation from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyboy)
    Where did you get that infomation from?
    It's in the 2007/8 prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    It's in the 2007/8 prospectus.
    Ahh thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can find all this info online. I have the application/place info by subject for last year as its my job on our college JCR, but what I would say is it really doesn't make a difference to your personal success rate and you'd be well advised not to base your college choice on it. The admissions person at lmh told me that college applications vary from one year to the next, so a college looks undersubscribed and then next year everyone applies there. I imagine its the same with subjects.

At the end of the day some 20% of applicants get pooled anyway and they really do try to make sure everyone who should get a place does. Your best off picking a college that you like, come to an openday if you've still got time, and just seeing where you end up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owenj)
    I think you can find all this info online.
    Right here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/univstats/

DtS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    Right here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/univstats/

DtS
    that doesn't give applicants/place for each college like they used to though, mainly i think to stop people playing the numbers game. the number of applicants per place fluctuated each year because people were put off applying to the popular ones of the year before and so instead applied to the less popular ones which obviously became more popular.
    basically don't let it affect your decision of which college to apply to. yes you may have different chances of getting into different colleges but there's no way of knowing.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.