Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an Irish passport as well as a British one but have never lived in Ireland or outside the UK.

I was wondering if at a Scottish university i can qualify to not pay fees as a european student?

ReputationRep:
    I think once you have dual nationality, you do not have to declare your other country of citizenship, so in theory you could say that you are Irish, and use your Irish passport/documents. But I'm not too sure. Just ring up SAAS and ask, I'm sure they would know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StabiloBoss)
    I have an Irish passport as well as a British one but have never lived in Ireland or outside the UK.

I was wondering if at a Scottish university i can qualify to not pay fees as a european student?
    Where have you been living for the past three years? That is what determines your fee status.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim131)
    I think once you have dual nationality, you do not have to declare your other country of citizenship, so in theory you could say that you are Irish, and use your Irish passport/documents. But I'm not too sure. Just ring up SAAS and ask, I'm sure they would know.
    Well no, because as theonewho has just pointed out, it is based upon where you have been living and not what passport you hold. The OP said that they'd never lived outside of the UK, so unless they've been living in Scotland for the last 3 years they will be required to pay fees to study here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    Where have you been living for the past three years? That is what determines your fee status.

(Original post by oxymoronic)
    Well no, because as theonewho has just pointed out, it is based upon where you have been living and not what passport you hold. The OP said that they'd never lived outside of the UK, so unless they've been living in Scotland for the last 3 years they will be required to pay fees to study here.
    Oh ok that make senses. I thought there may be a residency requirement, no sadly I'm in the South East not Scotland. Thanks for clearly it up. Bye bye £3000 a year :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok that make senses. I thought there may be a residency requirement, no sadly I'm in the South East not Scotland. Thanks for clearly it up. Bye bye £3000 a year :rolleyes:
    And again, no.
    Scottish universities charge cerca £1800 a year to UK students.

ReputationRep:
    It'll only be around £1,800 per year, and your final year is free (the Scottish government pay it for you).

ReputationRep:
    It'll only be around £1,800 per year, and your final year is free (the Scottish government pay it for you).
    That's no longer the case, sadly. Since the introduction of top up fees in England it's now cheaper to study in Scotland even though there is an extra year to the degree, so the government doesn't have to offset the cost of getting a degree from Scotland rather than England. My year, going into 4th year now, are the first ones under the new rules and we'll be paying fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    That's no longer the case, sadly. Since the introduction of top up fees in England it's now cheaper to study in Scotland even though there is an extra year to the degree, so the government doesn't have to offset the cost of getting a degree from Scotland rather than England. My year, going into 4th year now, are the first ones under the new rules and we'll be paying fees.
    Ah, OK, sorry. I thought this was still in operation since you've chosen a four year course instead of three. Thought the SNP were keeping it up.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, OK, sorry. I thought this was still in operation since you've chosen a four year course instead of three. Thought the SNP were keeping it up.
    Nah... I wish though!
    I can see why they don't have it anymore though - 4 years in Scotland will cost a little over £7000 whereas in England it's about £2000 more for a year less. So they don't really need to "persuade" people to come now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.