Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just booked it and its practically free at five quid :woo: but I'm reading horror stories on review sites about the big training schools, has anyone been? The girl said I need to have at least 2 or 3 inches cut off since I have long hair, which is all right, I mean I'm cutting it to improve the condition of it anyway so...

Tell me of your experiences!

ReputationRep:
    I'd have a look on gumtree for hairdressers who need models for exams this week. That way you don't risk having a newbie mess things up, you get someone with experience (and it's still free.)

Thats what I've always done and have never had a bad experience. Although you dont get to chose the time usually and they could cancel on you i guess.

I read the horror stories too and I think it's a matter of luck with the T&G academy. You might get someone whos doing their first ever haircut or you might get someones whos just about to qualify.

ReputationRep:
    The T&G academy is good...if you don't get rank new hairdressing students on your hair. :p:

Seriously, if you get a decent person on your hair - no one would ever believe you have a £5 haircut, expecially if your hair gets cut by a retraining professional. (It could happen as they do some masterclasses.)

It will take some time to get your hair cut - from my experiences at the academy, you could read a book in the time it takes to get your hair cut, have the instructors come and look etc. (Not that I ever read a book in that time.) By the time one of my haircuts was finished, I was just glad to get out of there, even though I hated the haircut I said I liked it so I could leave sooner. The T&G academy toilets weren't working that day and I had to rush out of there to the nearest McDonalds to use their restroom.

Sometimes you get offered the chance of having colour put into your hair. Yes, you might have to do a swab test beforehand but there have been times when I've seen others get colour put on then and there. Mind you, that was years ago so I don't know if they do that still - I haven't been back to the academy since 2005.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.