Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't really drink, even when i'm down the pub, out an about, house parties, clubs and raves. I prefer house parties and the pub to clubs/raves and it's cool to go to a house party and not drink as drinks are free and in the pub i dont feel the need to drink as i'm not there for drink up just to hang out. and all the people i know in uni go out drinking nearlly every night, so do you feel pressure to drink/get drunk when your at clubs?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I just decide how much I want to drink before I go out and stick to that.

I guess the thing is to drink enough so that you're not conspicuously not drinking but just avoid drinking more than you want to. It shouldn't stop you from going out with your friends if they're worth your time. (I mean they're not real friends if they put pressure on you)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Nope. I just decide how much I want to drink before I go out and stick to that.

I guess the thing is to drink enough so that you're not conspicuously not drinking but just avoid drinking more than you want to. It shouldn't stop you from going out with your friends if they're worth your time. (I mean they're not real friends if they put pressure on you)

nah none of my mates put pressure on me to drink their cool with the fact that i choose not to, i was just wondering wether it was different when your at a uni bar, as it seems that is one of the main things about uni, going out at night and drinking

ReputationRep:
    No. I just drink a lot anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I have some friends at uni that don't drink at all and some that barely drink, that I have only seen drunk like twice. Of course most of my friends are drunk several times a week, but that doesn't make my other friends any more left out, as long as you're willing to be around drunk people that is.

ReputationRep:
    There are probably a few people which will directly pressure others into drinking at uni, but those people are complete tossers and you just need to avoid those sorts.

The problem will be that you may find yourself indirectly pressured into drinking. By this, I mean that you may feel pressurised to 'get drunk' simply because that's what the majority of other students will be doing, and therefore, you won't want to be left out or you may feel obliged to join in so you're not perceived as being boring.

When you say you don't really drink what do you mean by this though? If you mean that you are happy to get quite drunk but don't go over the top like a lot of people then you will be fine. If you mean that you literally drink nothing at all, then, sadly, you may find yourself in a few problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grapevine)
    There are probably a few people which will directly pressure others into drinking at uni, but those people are complete tossers and you just need to avoid those sorts.

The problem will be that you may find yourself indirectly pressured into drinking. By this, I mean that you may feel pressurised to 'get drunk' simply because that's what the majority of other students will be doing, and therefore, you won't want to be left out or you may feel obliged to join in so you're not perceived as being boring.

When you say you don't really drink what do you mean by this though? If you mean that you are happy to get quite drunk but don't go over the top like a lot of people then you will be fine. If you mean that you literally drink nothing at all, then, sadly, you may find yourself in a few problems.
    well i dont go out to specifically to have a drink,i normally only get drunk at some ones 18th or at a club. to be honest it's not my cup of tea and i basically grew up in a pub so iv'e seen what is does to people and its a ******* drain on money. i'm not 100% against drinking i just enjoy my nights more when i'm sobre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellingham)
    well i dont go out to specifically to have a drink,i normally only get drunk at some ones 18th or at a club. to be honest it's not my cup of tea and i basically grew up in a pub so iv'e seen what is does to people and its a ******* drain on money. i'm not 100% against drinking i just enjoy my nights more when i'm sobre
    I'm enjoying the new mature serious post making ellingham. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    I'm enjoying the new mature serious post making ellingham. :p:
    yeah i thought i'd made a few about licking out girls and penises, so thought i'd take a more mature route. bet ya wern't expecting that was ya?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i thought i'd made a few about licking out girls and penises, so thought i'd take a more mature route. bet ya wern't expecting that was ya?
    I think it shows progression :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Meh i enjoy drinking, maybe not to get completely wasted but i will always have a few. Never felt under pressure to drink though atm and i doubt that will change when i go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    lol i enjoyed some of your other posts though

ReputationRep:
    I think it shows progression :yep:
    one day i may be as mature as you and actually be helpful to the TSR community :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    lol i enjoyed some of your other posts though
    thank you, glad that not everyone thinks my immature posts are pointless, i do actually put some thought into them :yep:

ReputationRep:
    one day i may be as mature as you and actually be helpful to the TSR community :p:
    I think you're as mature as any 10 year old would be. Your parents should be proud.

ReputationRep:
    Its good to have a dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeee)
    I think you're as mature as any 10 year old would be. Your parents should be proud.
    sad little man, sad sad little man.

*watch out theres a macho man behind his computer screen about*

ReputationRep:
    Its good to have a dream.
    it will probably stay just a dream

ReputationRep:
    sad little man, sad sad little man.

*watch out theres a macho man behind his computer screen about*
    don't call yourself a sad little man. you might be little but you're not a man yet. sad little boy would be more adequate.

ReputationRep:
    it will probably stay just a dream
    Never give up hope!
    (sorry for hijacking your thread btw)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.