Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering why do people have open relationships?

Really it should not be open relationship, more like someonee I have to an emergancy f*** with and someone to have passion with.

I dont know about you, but I dont think I could handle an open relationship, I do not like the idea of someone I love s***ing some woman across the road and going out with her.

I dont think they will work out because when you get marries espically you get emotionally attached to the person ....

What do you think about open relationships?

Give me your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiichands)

I dont know about you, but I dont think I could handle an open relationship, I do not like the idea of someone I love s***ing some woman across the road and going out with her.

Surely the point is that you dont love them or it wont work :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think very few people can truly pull them off, usually it tends to be one person exploiting the other becuase they have commitment issues or something, they want the safety and security of a relationship with the perks of being single at the same time. They may sound appealing but I think human jealousy and emotional entanglement will mean that most end up in pain.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a problem with it. It is actually possible to love more than one person.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to the people involved, surely? Just because it's not something you could do, doesn't mean there are people who are happy being in an open relationship.

In most cases, I don't really think it's an issue of being with someone, then shagging about. I think the 'open' part simply means if they meet someone they really want to shag, then they're allowed kind of thing. I guess there are various rules to how much of an open relationship you're in; I imagine there are some who shag anyone they want, and I guess there are those who are constrained mainly to shagging someone who they really really want to.

ReputationRep:
    I am in an open relationship and it works perfectly.

It's called being young and having fun.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It's the only type of relationship I'd presently consider.

ReputationRep:
    It's not for me.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't make sense to me because the whole point of a relationship is devoting your attention to one person, yet you aren't really because you're sleeping wtih loads of other people as well :/

ReputationRep:
    Defeats the purpose of a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see the point in it, but hey if it works for you then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C..)

I'll tell you what isn't fun. Double posting.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have an issue with other people doing it, but personally I don't think I'd cope with it. Unfortunately I'm quite a jealous person and I'd just feel inadequate to whoever else the guy was with.

to say that you love someone and yet be in an open relationship with them is absurd and self contradictory, ultimately if you love the person you are with your -eventual- intention will be to marry them or stay with them for life, then the openness will not work and the relationship will fall apart (divorce/breakup) or indeed never get to that stage in the first place, if you are in a "relationship" that has no agreed intention of marriage or no kind of long term relationship intention i would say that open relationships are fine, however it means that you don't actually love the person you are with, and tbh your "relationship" is just a slightly more advanced version of a "**** buddy" and slightly less temporary than that you have with your other sexual partners in your "relationship". :eek2:

I certainly would never do such a thing if my gf suggested it i would not be willing to do so- and would then find it hard to trust her lead to breakup maybe etc., certainly if she cheated :creep: i would give no second chance. However if i end up in a relationship with someone i dont particularly love then i guess an open relationship would be ok. But then what the point of having the relationship, sex aside?- There isnt its just a **** friend your slightly more attached to than the others.

If your "relationship" is temporary loveless and sex oriented and you both agree to openess then fine, if the relationship is strong, full of love and attachment with -possible- long term intentions then a "open relationship" would simply never happen. However im sure there are even married couple out there who have an open type of relationship they they both agree upon and claim to love each other, however how they can ever truthfully say they truly love one another because they go around shagging the next door neighbour!!! What bedrock does these relationships have if not love? Some kind of vague combination of "friendship", convenience and Money?:eek4:

They have to ask themselves what is actually holding the long term relationship together is beyond me :eek3: and ill be interested to see any justification such couples would have which im sure they do, which makes this an interesting topic to look at. :cool:

ReputationRep:

Really it should not be open relationship, more like someonee I have to an emergancy f*** with and someone to have passion with.

I dont think they will work out because when you get marries espically you get emotionally attached to the person ....

Give me your thoughts
    They're called swingers a lot of the time, usually married after a bit and want to spice things up or experiement.

They enjoy it but the person they married usually has the last word and its a case of "i'm turned on yes but they dont know me more than hubby".

To be honest these people just screw anything with a meat+2 veg or a crack between her legs and dont think about the fact they are one of the worst groups to spread STis, which they are doing.

Normally single women are sought after for these people and they pop up on sex sites.

ReputationRep:

Give me your thoughts
    That's a flawed argument. I mean, your friends don't get jealous when you have more than one friend, and you don't get jealous when one of your friends hangs out with another friend.

So why should you only be able to have one lover? Why should you never be allowed to hang out with or have sex with another person just because you're having sex with someone?

I just find the whole concept of monogamy really stupid and restricting.....how come you can have as many friends as you like, yet only one lover? And how come it's classed as 'cheating' if you have more than one lover, yet it's not cheating if you have more than one friend? I'd love to find the idiot who put that 'rule' into society and rip his balls off.

Personally, open relationships make far more sense. I prefer open relationships. They are more natural for humans....monogamous relationships go against our programming as humans. We're not designed to be monogamous. Monogamy is just a bull**** social construct designed to control people. It's outdated and not natural at all, and is a religious concept from the past that doesn't apply in modern society.

Let people date and have sex with who they want and have as many lovers as they want. Monogamy just locks people in and makes people jealous and insecure. Open relationships free you from all the bull that goes with monogamy and allow you to enjoy your partner(s) without becoming jealous or insecure about them cheating etc.

ReputationRep:
    Its not something I could personally ever do, I'd get far too jealous/insecure. Open relationships have worked well for my friend, though. I, myself, wouldn't call it a relationship though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neil_K)
    Monogamy is just a bull**** social construct designed to control people. It's outdated and not natural at all
    From an evolutionarily perspective:

Men - Designed to **** anything that moves - SPREAD THE GENES BABY!

Women - Designed to **** men with good genes - have babies with good genes - then find less dominant beta male to provide for them.

That's it. End of.

This is why there are so many girls that get cheated on by their boyfriends having one night stands, and so many "nice guys" (read: weak, beta-male type characters) who get cheated on by their girlfriends getting plowed into next week by some cocky alpha-male type character.

If an open relationship works for those involved, and helps them get around these issues, good for them. I've never been in one, but I wouldn't write it off without ever having been there.

ReputationRep:
    Personally wouldn't be able to be in one, I'd just get really jealous, but this doesn't mean to say I don't think they can work. I think it's very rare, because you both have to be the same type of person who doesn't get jealous and doesn't mind a "no-strings" aspect, but that's not impossible. Just unlikely.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.