Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So. It's summer. And I'm trying to sort out a printer.

So I have a couple of questions...

Is it a good idea for me to get one, firstly?
    Should I just get a cheap crappy one that I can replace when it breaks?
    Is there any way to skimp round stupidly priced cartridges?

Any help is great. I'm a bit of a n00b at this! :o:

ReputationRep:
    You can refill your cartridges I believe, but I don't think it is a massive saving.

I am eying up a colour laser jet printer for my third year - I think I saw one from Staples online for £130 ish which seems quite reasonable.

Having completed my first and second years - I don't think it is worth buying one until your third year. Printing on campus is usually fairly cheap (5p single black and white per sheet or 8p double sided).

It depends if you think you will have lots to print out/are too lazy to print stuff out in uni in time for tutorials !

ReputationRep:
    It's an alright idea to buy one, depends how much your uni charges for print outs and whether you need to print out anything other than uni work.

Chances are if it's a cheap printer, the cartridges will be expensive, Lexmark are the main offenders. Best to check the price of the printer and it's cartridges to get the best overall deal.

ReputationRep:
    I say wait until your third year as the work load increases - you have dissertation materials to print off and heavtier coursework assignments which might just be easier and save time if you had a printer of your own.

ReputationRep:
    Just use the printers at Uni, probably work out cheaper in terms of ink/paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)

Chances are if it's a cheap printer, the cartridges will be expensive, Lexmark are the main offenders. Best to check the price of the printer and it's cartridges to get the best overall deal.
    Good advice - thanks! I hadn't thought of that when looking to buy, but it seems an obvious question to find an answer to before buying.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a £30 HP from Amazon when I went to Uni - 2 years on I still love it ! Prints, scans, photocopies! xx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice!
    I'll have a little look around... check cartridge prices etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get yourself a cheapish multifunction inkjet. We've got a Canon Pixma MP150 at home, and I'll probably buy the same again (or rather the updated version) when I disappear. It was cheap, but the print quality is still good enough for printing in reasonable quality.

Colour laser printers are tempting (in fact I bought one just over a year ago - an HP CLJ 1600) and it was lovely Printed really quickly, and the quality of text was fantastic. Photos, however, were atrocious. A £130 colour laser printer will have a fraction of the DPI (dots per inch) quality of a £30 inkjet. And toner is insanely priced - we paid £99 for the printer its self, and a full set of 4 'cartridges' costs around £200. So when it ran out, we chucked it.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend looking in argos or check the website - I got my epson s200 for £39.99 ish, still going well on the original set of cartridges and if you've got parents with a laser printer, try and egg them into buying a new one so you can have the old one - the majority of stuff you'll print out will be black and white anyway depending on your course...

ReputationRep:
    HP printers come with a thumbs up from me - I've had a few now (get £60 off when you buy an Apple computer).

If you can find one for around £30-£40 it would be worth it for the convenience, so you can print your assignments at home and not have to fanny around looking for a uni computer and checking it has the same version of Word that you use at home etc. etc. - I got one with a sheet-feed scanner as well and scanned in all my lecture notes so I didn't have to take big A4 files if I went to my parents' house.

The cartridges aren't dirt cheap, but at about £15 for a good few months' use they're not bad either. My old HP D5160 has been running on an "empty" black cartridge since 2008! It paid for itself when running off 3 copies of my dissertation.

Printing quality cannot be faulted, easily as sharp and dark as a laser. BUT inkjet ink smudges when you use a highlighter so bear this in mind if you're a highlighty person.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get a cheap black laser printer (I prefer HP ones...) if you don't need to print much colour stuff.

You can get some fairly cheap desktop ones on ebay. I think I was lucky enough to get mine (HP Laserjet 1100) for £16 in the end. It only does 4 pages a minute, which isn't much compared to an HP Laserjet 3020's 32 ppm but for a cheap printer I can't fault it. It has served me and my housemates well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Terryw)
    This. You don't know how many times I've had blocked ink heads.

Edit:
    I don't care what anyone says, I know the solution, It just cause I don't use my printer often so in that not in use period, the ink dries up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    This. You don't know how many times I've had blocked ink heads.

hmm
    perhaps you need to look after your equipment a little better; I have several printers here and many at work; I have never had a blocked ink head ......

ReputationRep:
    Given the low purchase and indeed running cost of many of todays modern printers I deem your advice to be poor.

OP perhaps a relatively cheap and compact Samsung laser would suffice your needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    Given the low purchase and indeed running cost of many of todays modern printers I deem your advice to be poor.

OP perhaps a relatively cheap and compact Samsung laser would suffice your needs.
    Standard Printer is around £30+. Ink is included.
    After an essay or two, a few redrafts and a few random prints for jobs or such the ink will become low. Hence new ink will need to be purchased. This is important around deadlines times. Ink is expensive.

Ink for a Uni printer is around 3/4p double sided. No electric costs, no maintenance costs. Just the paper and ink. Standard.

ReputationRep:
    Standard Printer is around £30+. Ink is included.
    After an essay or two, a few redrafts and a few random prints for jobs or such the ink will become low. Hence new ink will need to be purchased. This is important around deadlines times. Ink is expensive.

Ink for a Uni printer is around 3/4p double sided. No electric costs, no maintenance costs. Just the paper and ink. Standard.
    A samsung laser has cheap running costs.
    With deadlines being a factor I would much rather have my own printer. Whilst writing my thesis, I would not have been without one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    A samsung laser has cheap running costs.
    With deadlines being a factor I would much rather have my own printer. Whilst writing my thesis, I would not have been without one.
    I disagree.

This Printer is £50 plus P&P. There is no way I spend £50 in Uni on their printers. Hence lower costs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Look guys, **** it, If Mrm. can't acept our opinions then it's his problem... at the end of the day, OP will decide what's best for him. Let's not spam Tech.

ReputationRep:
    OP should just buy a cheap (second hand) HP Laserjet..... since I bought my printer in September 2007, I've spent about £41 on it. £16 for the printer (inc postage) and about £25 for a replacement Laser cartridge (understand that it came with very little toner left...so I had to buy one immediately). I have printed all my assignments, etc. with it since and despite being a little slow, it hasn't failed me yet.

As for Terryw's argument, I can see the pros and cons of using the uni's printers. Personally, however, I would certainly rather have my own.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.