Turn on thread page Beta

Sorry if this is the wrong place but I wanted to use anon as I think my brother uses this.

Basically, my Mum seems to like critisizing my appearance. The other day she looked at me and said "your legs are getting chunky" when I looked upset/angry she went on to say "that's a good thing though" but the way she first phrased it, didn't sound positive at all. In addition to this, she has also pointed out my cellulite (which doesn't exist! and I'm not in denial, I've looked!)

As well as this, I was on steriods a while back because of my medical condition I wasn't very well, and I put on a little bit of weight, even though she KNEW I was self-concious of this, she continued to point out how podgy/fat my belly looked, in fact she did this even before I put on weight (i've always had a slightly podgy tummy, but I don't need to be informed of it everytime she looks at me!) She'd always look at me and say "look at ur fat stomach/podgy belly etc." whilst pointing it out to my Dad. I'd laugh it off because I didn't want her to know I was upset but surely any one knows that continuously saying this to someone (particularly a teenage girl is not a nice thing)

Also, whilst I was on steriods she decided to stare at me for a good minute or so and then proclaim "your getting a fat face" after which she just walked off.

In addition to this, she knows I am vert concious of the fact I am young looking, earlier today our builder asked my Mum if I was ill from school, to which she explained I was 19 etc. As soon as I come downstairs that was the first thing she told me, even tho she is very aware of the fact that I HATE people commenting on how young I look.

She pees me off so much, I'm only a size 8 and I'm very petite and even when I put on a bit of weight I didn't go up a dress size I just looked a little chubbier.

Is this normal of a Mum? What should I say to her next time she trys to make me feel like poo?

ReputationRep:
    Tell her shes got fat ankles, and see how she reacts.

ReputationRep:
    ERM, shes mabey just trying to encourage you to change your apperance,
    even tho it may be the wrong way.
    Just let her know,
    mum, you comments are starting to bother me,
    Or just say, shut up you old cow, lol, nah im kidding,
    I defo think you need to tell her that its bothering you tho.
    Alot of parents are pushy about their kids, especially if she knows you apperance bothers you, and shes just trying to push you to what you want to be,

ReputationRep:
    Just tell her to stop criticizing you, as it hurts. Some of my friends have mums like this, and they just ignore it usually since they're used to it.

Thing is, I'm actually NOT fat. I had a stomach tube in to help me put weight on for about 10 years, according to the doctors my BMI is only just in the normal range ... I'm only 7 stone.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    it's not nice of her, but my mam has always said similar things to me, so I know how it feels.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to stop saying things like that. It's not good for anyone's self esteem. The last person comments like that should be coming from is your Mum.
    If all else fails, tell her she looks old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thing is, I'm actually NOT fat. I had a stomach tube in to help me put weight on for about 10 years, according to the doctors my BMI is only just in the normal range ... I'm only 7 stone.

7 stone is too skinny!!!

ReputationRep:
    ermm, ur NOT fat though. i mean a size 8! come on!
    does she not watch the news where they talk about all these obese kids?!
    and also tell her that the average size of a woman in britain is 16, so basically uve got nothing to worry about unless u eat a meteorite

I don't know whether she'll take it seriously though, if I tell her that her comments upset me. I was so annoyed once that I bluntly asked her why she likes to critisize me so much, and she just shrugged it off

My mums the same. She once told me I looked three months pregnant :|

ReputationRep:
    I usually just tell her shes just jelous cause all of her items are going south and mines are still up north
    Shuts her up...well one time she went I'll prove to you im still up north while pulling up her top :eek:
    We were having chicken breast for dinner :no:

ReputationRep:
    make similar comments to her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabka7)
    ermm, ur NOT fat though. i mean a size 8! come on!
    does she not watch the news where they talk about all these obese kids?!
    and also tell her that the average size of a woman in britain is 16, so basically uve got nothing to worry about unless u eat a meteorite
    Yeah, steer clear of the meteorites, they're loaded with calories.

ReputationRep:
    shes jealous of your young looks.

watch out for that builder though :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sorry if this is the wrong place but I wanted to use anon as I think my brother uses this.

Basically, my Mum seems to like critisizing my appearance. The other day she looked at me and said "your legs are getting chunky" when I looked upset/angry she went on to say "that's a good thing though" but the way she first phrased it, didn't sound positive at all. In addition to this, she has also pointed out my cellulite (which doesn't exist! and I'm not in denial, I've looked!)

As well as this, I was on steriods a while back because of my medical condition I wasn't very well, and I put on a little bit of weight, even though she KNEW I was self-concious of this, she continued to point out how podgy/fat my belly looked, in fact she did this even before I put on weight (i've always had a slightly podgy tummy, but I don't need to be informed of it everytime she looks at me!) She'd always look at me and say "look at ur fat stomach/podgy belly etc." whilst pointing it out to my Dad. I'd laugh it off because I didn't want her to know I was upset but surely any one knows that continuously saying this to someone (particularly a teenage girl is not a nice thing)

Also, whilst I was on steriods she decided to stare at me for a good minute or so and then proclaim "your getting a fat face" after which she just walked off.

In addition to this, she knows I am vert concious of the fact I am young looking, earlier today our builder asked my Mum if I was ill from school, to which she explained I was 19 etc. As soon as I come downstairs that was the first thing she told me, even tho she is very aware of the fact that I HATE people commenting on how young I look.

She pees me off so much, I'm only a size 8 and I'm very petite and even when I put on a bit of weight I didn't go up a dress size I just looked a little chubbier.

Is this normal of a Mum? What should I say to her next time she trys to make me feel like poo?
    no, its definitely not normal. nobody should pick out things people are insecure about and critiscise them about it, especially not your mum, and especially at size 14 is the national average and so size 8 at 19 is clearly not fat.
    i'd be really tempted to give what i get and say the same kind of things to her, but if you really want to sort it out the only thing you can do is say to her something along the lines of 'can you stop critiscising my weight and looks because i really don't like it, and find it hurtful'.
    also, consider why your mum does this. if you've been ill on steroids and she looks at you and points things out then thats just bullying imo.

ReputationRep:
    she's probably jealous, i know it sounds weird but it's more common than you'd thinnk

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.