Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

So I'm a Dutch student, and I'm applying for the 2010 cycle (Medicine course).

Anyway, I heard that we're supposed to add the GCSE results to the UCAS application. But we don't receive any GCSE results in the Netherlands.. I heard that I could just leave the 'grade' space blank (pending), or I could ask my teachers to predict the grades. Now, I had a few questions:

Do you think that my chances of getting an offer will decrease if I leave the spaces blank?

And also, if I ask my teachers to make a prediction, what date do I have to select in the application? The date they gave me the prediction, right?

And finally, I guess the universities will want to see proof of the results, so do I have to get myself an 'official paper' with the predictions?

I'm sorry if the questions are kind of silly, I'm just kind of confused at the moment o: Thank you in advance! <3
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You pick which qualifications you add. So if you don't have GCSEs, you don't choose to add GCSE qualifications. Instead, you'll add whatever your equivalent qualifications are. This may just be something like a "school leaving certificate". Since you don't do GCSEs, it would be crazy to get your teachers to predict grades for them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 99.9% sure that in the UCAS application form there is an option to add MAVO/HAVO/VWO results.

You don't need to add GCSE results if you did not take them.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by john.miguel)
    I'm 99.9% sure that in the UCAS application form there is an option to add MAVO/HAVO/WVO results.

You don't need to add GCSE results if you did not take them.
    Even if there isn't a space for your qualification, you can choose "other" and add it that way

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying!

Yes I do know that there's an option to add MAVO/HAVO/VWO (I'm doing VWO) results, but these are the results that will be on my 'diploma' (like, a list of grades), but I will receive these grades after I've done my final exams in May 2010. But I have to send my application on October 15th. So if I'm supposed to add the VWO-results, I can't, because I won't know them before June next year.. So I should just leave it blank?

No Juno, what I meant was, let my teachers predict my VWO-results, not GCSE results ^^; Should I ask them to do this, or should I leave it blank?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, I see what you mean.

What you do is, you list the individual modules/subjects you are doing and at result you put down Pending.

I know that for Scottish students you do the same thing, put down Pending and then when we get our results, the qualifications authority sends the results to UCAS which sends it on to the Universities. But since you are an international applicant you may have to do this yourself. So you will probably have to contact the University, if they haven't contacted you before you do, and inform them about your situation and that you are an international applicant. They will probably make arrangements about how the results diploma/document will be sent to them etc.

I might be wrong, someone will probably correct me on this.

Veel geluk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryopii)
    Hi everyone!

So I'm a Dutch student, and I'm applying for the 2010 cycle (Medicine course).

Anyway, I heard that we're supposed to add the GCSE results to the UCAS application. But we don't receive any GCSE results in the Netherlands.. I heard that I could just leave the 'grade' space blank (pending), or I could ask my teachers to predict the grades. Now, I had a few questions:

Do you think that my chances of getting an offer will decrease if I leave the spaces blank?

And also, if I ask my teachers to make a prediction, what date do I have to select in the application? The date they gave me the prediction, right?

And finally, I guess the universities will want to see proof of the results, so do I have to get myself an 'official paper' with the predictions?

I'm sorry if the questions are kind of silly, I'm just kind of confused at the moment o: Thank you in advance! <3
    *Mept ryopii*
    I would speak to the uni directly, because there is a big difference I believe in Dutch education system compared to the UK. Isn't there 2 levels of Uni in holland or something?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that would probably be the best idea actually.

I think they're called MBO and HBO. Not 100% though :o:

ReputationRep:
    @ john: My college is so not used to students going to an university abroad, so I have to take care of most of the things myself o:
    But ehm, if I put down 'pending', the universities won't have my results when they'll make the decision whether to or whether not to make me an offer. Do you think the fact that they won't have my results, will decrease my chance of getting an offer? Isn't it just better to ask my teachers to make a prediction, so that the universities will at least have an idea?
    (*off topic* lol you speak Dutch as well? 8D)

@ tomfb: lol 'mept', as in Dutch? ;P
    I'm not so sure about the university system in Holland actually, I've been doing more research on the UK university system *hides* D8 I'm so not staying here after graduating XP
    But I do know that the schoolsystem is very different than in Holland, like we don't have GCSE and I don't think the so-called A-levels are the same either o:

(You guys from Holland by the way? o: )

--edit: Oh I see what you mean tomfb, well MBO and HBO are not exactly like university. HBO and MBO are 'lower' than the university (lol can I even call it like that? o_O), like you go to university to become a doctor for example, and you do MBO to become a barber or something ; ) But all three: university, hbo and mbo, is what you do after you leave school/college.

ReputationRep:
    Jup, ik kan Nederlands spreken ^^. I'm Dutch myself, but left NL at the age of 15 due to my parents' new job, which involved moving to the UK.

Anyways, back on topic:

For Scottish students (ie: me) you list the grades you already hold on UCAS and state the year you achieved them and you also state the subjects you are sitting this year and list them as pending.

Universities then look at your application and make an offer based on it. If you did well in previous years (so that means you already have good grades) you may receive an unconditional offer, if you didin't, then they will give you a conditional offer and tell you what you should achieve in your pending subjects, they might say: 2 A's and 2 B's or something.

But that's for Scottish student's, I'm quite sure it is similar for English student's too. But since you're from abroad, you will most likely have to contact the universities you wish to apply for in advance and double check everything, just to be on the safe side. The admissions tutor will tell you exactly how to handle this and how to fill in the UCAS form. Just ring them up or even send them a e-mail.

Also, from your posts it seems like that you think it's the grades you will achieve next June are the most important bits in your UCAS application. Fair enough they are quite important, but do keep in mind that the grades you have already achieved (In VWO4 onwards. If I can remember correctly, that is when you have chosen a 'profiel' and start to specialize in a certain area), your personal statement and teacher's references are very important too. It tells the universities what kind of person you are and whether or not you are determined to put in a 100% and do something meaningful with your education.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm from Holland too, I'm moving to the UK for university in September. I was in a situation quite similar to yours (I had to do everything on my own. Teachers, the study advisor, the dean etc. at school had no clue whatsoever.), except for the fact that I applied last minute, in January. Don't even get me started on the "listing/not listing predicted grades-dilemma". When I asked the study advisor at my school what to do, he gave me a blank stare and asked: "What's UCAS?" So much for the help.. In the end I decided to list all the grades I had already achieved in 4 vwo (but you're in the "nieuwe tweede fase, I don't know if you still do some exams in 4 vwo), and listed the rest of the subjects as pending. I also asked my referee (English teacher) to predict an overall vwo grade and list that in her section. It got me an offer, so I guess there was nothing wrong with it Good luck with the whole process. Btw, when you're saying "I'm so not staying here after graduation." - I know the feeling, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by never quite enough)
    Hey. I'm from Holland too, I'm moving to the UK for university in September. I was in a situation quite similar to yours (I had to do everything on my own. Teachers, the study advisor, the dean etc. at school had no clue whatsoever.), except for the fact that I applied last minute, in January. Don't even get me started on the "listing/not listing predicted grades-dilemma". When I asked the study advisor at my school what to do, he gave me a blank stare and asked: "What's UCAS?" So much for the help.. In the end I decided to list all the grades I had already achieved in 4 vwo (but you're in the "nieuwe tweede fase, I don't know if you still do some exams in 4 vwo), and listed the rest of the subjects as pending. I also asked my referee (English teacher) to predict an overall vwo grade and list that in her section. It got me an offer, so I guess there was nothing wrong with it Good luck with the whole process. Btw, when you're saying "I'm so not staying here after graduation." - I know the feeling, haha.
    Ha I applied for my university in may or something but still got in! whoop.

Are all the problems solved now btw?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm also a Dutch student. I recently finished my VWO and this year I will be studying medicine in Rotterdam. I really want to study in the UK, so I'm applying for the 2010 entry

I'm a bit worried that UK universities won't understand the dutch system and therefore will think my grades are too low to study medicine... I graduated with a 9 in chemistry, 8 for math B12, 8 for biology and 7 in physics... 8.1 overall... would this be good enough? And do I have to send in a copy of my VWO diploma?

Edit: I also have some problems with UCAS... Do I have to predict my grades for my upcoming year of medicine as well??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutumnRain)
    Hi everyone!

I'm also a Dutch student. I recently finished my VWO and this year I will be studying medicine in Rotterdam. I really want to study in the UK, so I'm applying for the 2010 entry

I'm a bit worried that UK universities won't understand the dutch system and therefore will think my grades are too low to study medicine... I graduated with a 9 in chemistry, 8 for math B12, 8 for biology and 7 in physics... 8.1 overall... would this be good enough? And do I have to send in a copy of my VWO diploma?

Edit: I also have some problems with UCAS... Do I have to predict my grades for my upcoming year of medicine as well??
    I'm not sure if that is good enough for UK university entry since I moved to UK just after third year in NL. So can't comment on that.

Universities tend to have general knowledge regarding foreign qualifications but they are not completely aware of it's true value. So most likely you will have to do some tests/exams as part of your offer (if given).

And yes you will definitely have to send a copy of your VWO diploma.

And to answer your last question; it depends.

If you are thinking of applying to 2nd year entry in a UK university, you will probably need to do send your predicted grades for your modules and such of your 1st year in NL Uni (lecturers/Uni staff in NL should help you with this) along with your VWO diploma to UCAS.

If, however, you want to go to 1st year in UK, then you only need to enter your VWO diploma, but generally it helps to include your year at NL uni too. Since that will increase your chances of getting in.

Hope this was helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john.miguel)
    I'm not sure if that is good enough for UK university entry since I moved to UK just after third year in NL. So can't comment on that.

Universities tend to have general knowledge regarding foreign qualifications but they are not completely aware of it's true value. So most likely you will have to do some tests/exams as part of your offer (if given).

And yes you will definitely have to send a copy of your VWO diploma.

And to answer your last question; it depends.

If you are thinking of applying to 2nd year entry in a UK university, you will probably need to do send your predicted grades for your modules and such of your 1st year in NL Uni (lecturers/Uni staff in NL should help you with this) along with your VWO diploma to UCAS.

If, however, you want to go to 1st year in UK, then you only need to enter your VWO diploma, but generally it helps to include your year at NL uni too. Since that will increase your chances of getting in.

Hope this was helpful!
    Thanks!

I am applying to 1st year entry. I have sent an email to the university I want to apply to, and they replied that I should have a 9 in Chemistry and preferably an 8 or 9 in other relevant subjects. I do have an 8 in biology and mathematics, but not in physics. I hope this will be enough.
    They also told me that they'd like to receive a reference from my university tutor as well as from my high school teachers. I don't really understand this, because I thought you could only put 1 reference in UCAS... does anyone know how to send my other reference to them?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I am applying to 1st year entry. I have sent an email to the university I want to apply to, and they replied that I should have a 9 in Chemistry and preferably an 8 or 9 in other relevant subjects. I do have an 8 in biology and mathematics, but not in physics. I hope this will be enough.
    They also told me that they'd like to receive a reference from my university tutor as well as from my high school teachers. I don't really understand this, because I thought you could only put 1 reference in UCAS... does anyone know how to send my other reference to them?
    You can only send one reference through UCAS, so you will probably need to email it to them. Ask them how they want you to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

You've got excellent grades though, with good reference and a good personal statement I see no reason why they will not accept you.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my grades are probably good enough... I don't have any medical work experience though

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my grades are probably good enough... I don't have any medical work experience though
    To get back to an answer you asked before. I have had problems with UCAS as well and to avoid that I applied directly to the university. Just download a form from your uni website and send it off. References are very important! If you can you should ask a reference from one of your teachers at secondary education and ask one of the lecturers at your medicine course, that should be fine. I asked my lecturers to print it off and sign it and I just attached it to my application form. You should also write a personal statement (take time for this! it can really make a difference) Perhaps try to get a job in an old people's home to get some basic experience perhaps or whatever there is for medicine students. Also what are your grades for English? You will probably have to sit a test to prove your English as a VWO exam might not be enough (not sure). If you apply you will probably get a conditional offer (completion of your year).

If you have any further questions or get stuck just send me a PM, I have just been through everything so I know all about it :P lol :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This is quite an old thread, but I have a questions about the topic

I'm a Dutch student and I have recently finished high school (VWO). I'm planning on studying one year here in the Netherlands and applying for a course in the UK for 2011.
    I'm having some trouble with deciphering my grades, for the Dutch grading system is very different.

My grades are (as stated on my diploma)
    Dutch language and literature - 8
    English language and literature - 9
    French language and literature - 9
    Spanish language and literature - 10
    Maths (B) - 9
    Economics - 9
    History - 8
    Management and organisation - 8
    Combination grade - 9

What are these grades in the British grading system?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.