Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soothing)
    This is quite an old thread, but I have a questions about the topic

I'm a Dutch student and I have recently finished high school (VWO). I'm planning on studying one year here in the Netherlands and applying for a course in the UK for 2011.
    I'm having some trouble with deciphering my grades, for the Dutch grading system is very different.

My grades are (as stated on my diploma)
    Dutch language and literature - 8
    English language and literature - 9
    French language and literature - 9
    Spanish language and literature - 10
    Maths (B) - 9
    Economics - 9
    History - 8
    Management and organisation - 8
    Combination grade - 9

What are these grades in the British grading system?
    It's probably not that helpful to translate them. If you don't know what a universities requirements are for Dutch students, email them and ask.

It often says on the universities website though (try searching for 'international qualifications' on the universities' websites if you can't find the requirements for non-UK students, there might be a page tucked away somewhere).

The fact that on Oxford's page it says a minimum in 8 in all your subjects (in comparison to 3 As being required for A-levels), suggests 8 is considered very high so you're pretty much okay to apply anywhere. :p:

ReputationRep:
    This is quite an old thread, but I have a questions about the topic

I'm a Dutch student and I have recently finished high school (VWO). I'm planning on studying one year here in the Netherlands and applying for a course in the UK for 2011.
    I'm having some trouble with deciphering my grades, for the Dutch grading system is very different.

My grades are (as stated on my diploma)
    Dutch language and literature - 8
    English language and literature - 9
    French language and literature - 9
    Spanish language and literature - 10
    Maths (B) - 9
    Economics - 9
    History - 8
    Management and organisation - 8
    Combination grade - 9

What are these grades in the British grading system?
    Those are very good grades, especially at VWO level. I am not sure what that exactly translates to - it is not easy to determine that, you'll have to contact individual universities - but I am certain that with those grades and in conjunction with a well written personal statement that you can get a place at a UK university very comfortably.

Of course if you have high ambitions and are looking at a place at a top 5 university, it's best you contact them.

From my personal experience, universities tend to favour foreign students with good grades. But this probably does not apply to all universities.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    (Ga het even in het Nederlands doen, om het zo duidelijk mogelijk te doen)
    Ben zelf Belg, maar ben half-Nederlands, dus ken jullie systeem wel goed
    Heb een plaats gekregen in Londen en had ook interviews in Oxford, dus heb heel het gedoe nu al achter de rug.

Maak je geen zorgen over het omzetten van punten naar bv. A*, A, B, etc. De universiteiten vragen ook niet dat je dat doet. 'Predictions' zijn er in onze systemen niet, wij doen immers niet aan 'mock exams' en dergelijke. Bij mij vroegen ze in de plaats van deze predictions een tussentijds resultaat/rapport, bijvoorbeeld van je toetsen/taken/werkjes tot en met december in het laatste jaar, maar die moest ik dus niet op voorhand geven bij mijn applicatie, omdat die applicatie (in mijn geval voor Oxford) al voor Oktober binnen moest zijn. Ze vroegen dan gewoon mijn resultaten van het jaar voordien, en die heb ik dus op mijn UCAS gezet. De universiteiten vragen zelf wel meer informatie als ze dat willen en in interviews/written work zullen ze je niveau ook wel meteen zien. Maak je dus niet te veel zorgen over het omzetten van je cijfers in Britse grades, het systeem is immers totaal verschillend. Zorg gewoon voor een goede PS en tonnen motivatie!

Als ik met iets kan helpen, PM me maar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john.miguel)
    Those are very good grades, especially at VWO level. I am not sure what that exactly translates to - it is not easy to determine that, you'll have to contact individual universities - but I am certain that with those grades and in conjunction with a well written personal statement that you can get a place at a UK university very comfortably.

Of course if you have high ambitions and are looking at a place at a top 5 university, it's best you contact them.

From my personal experience, universities tend to favour foreign students with good grades. But this probably does not apply to all universities.
    Thank you for your reply!

This might be a silly question, but what should I say when contacting a university?
    "Hey, I want to study at your university"?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply!

This might be a silly question, but what should I say when contacting a university?
    "Hey, I want to study at your university"?
    You can just phone them up and tell them you are a prospective student from overseas and you want to inquire some information.

If, by contacting, you mean you want to apply to them. Then that's done through UCAS by filling in the application form and supplying a self-written personal statement, there's tons of information about the whole UCAS/personal statement process on TSR somewhere, just do a search for it.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryopii)
    Hi everyone!

So I'm a Dutch student, and I'm applying for the 2010 cycle (Medicine course).

Anyway, I heard that we're supposed to add the GCSE results to the UCAS application. But we don't receive any GCSE results in the Netherlands.. I heard that I could just leave the 'grade' space blank (pending), or I could ask my teachers to predict the grades. Now, I had a few questions:

Do you think that my chances of getting an offer will decrease if I leave the spaces blank?

And also, if I ask my teachers to make a prediction, what date do I have to select in the application? The date they gave me the prediction, right?

And finally, I guess the universities will want to see proof of the results, so do I have to get myself an 'official paper' with the predictions?

I'm sorry if the questions are kind of silly, I'm just kind of confused at the moment o: Thank you in advance! <3
    Why are you applying through UCAS anyway? UCAS is always such a hassle i think lol and you only got limited space for your personal statement! You could also just apply directly to the university. If you have any more questions you can always PM me .. I'm dutch myself and moved to the UK and know all about the process really. I did a course in amsterdam first myself..

all the best either way! =D

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.