Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, was just wondering how much on average you have per week to cover everything (not including accomodation fees)

ReputationRep:
    hmm i going to jump in and watch this thread... I've done some sums and i think i may die at university.... I need a job.

ReputationRep:
    Same, if things go the way there looking i better get major saving!

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to budget £50 a week. I spend about £20 on food (I like meat...and cheese...and it all adds up in the end), a bit tends to go on taxis, and it's all gone after a night out. I found out by second term that I'd save ********* if I didn't go out. So I tried to cut down on the drinking and nights out, or just bought orange juices when I was out. Made me feel a lot better in the mornings too!

I know other people who survived on much less, but they never went out, and I think they missed out a little bit socially. Then there's people who spend loads more on clothes and make up and other things that they could probably live without. You soon figure out what you normally spend in a week. I budget by taking out £50 on the Monday and making it last until the following monday. Sometimes I run out by the weekend and have to get more, sometimes it lasts me half way through the following week. By taking the money out and having it in your wallet you *know* how much you have to play with and can't spend any more.

ReputationRep:
    In my first/second year I allowed 80 a week (living in Bham) but rarely spent the whole lot so came out of first year with money left over. This year I've been abroad and I allowed 90 / week average to allow for extra travel costs.
    Normally I spend 15/20 a week on food. Then the rest goes on things which could, in desperate times, be left out i.e. alcohol, eating out, flights home, presents, household things, traveling...
    Make sure you keep a record on cash withdrawals/card payments so you know where your money goes.
    I worked both summer holidays so far, never during term time, and applied for bursaries from Uni to boost my back account because I'm eligible for full maintenance grant, and I've not been in a sticky financial situation yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.