Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the best way?

I'm having Special K for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch and a proper balanced dinner instead on just snacking on crisps and chocolate all day like I was doing. I've started pole dancing lessons to help with toning and I'm not loosing anything.

To be honest I don't really know what I'm doing anyway so thought I'd come on here and ask for any advice or tips from you fitness people, thanks

ReputationRep:
    If your calorie useage is increasing, and your intake is not increasing, the lack of weight loss is due to muscle gain. Pole dancing can work the muscles quite hard. Try running/swimming/skipping.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds quite good to me.
    How long have you been doing it for? Results wont happen overnight, a healthy weight loss is around 1-2 Ibs a week but if you're not that big to begin with it will take longer.
    Muscle weighs more than fat so it could be that you may not be loosing 'weight' as such but you are getting slimmer and more toned.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    weigh/measure all your portions and make sure you're including everything you eat and drink in your calorie intake. Do you really only eat 3 times a day? no snacks? no tea/coke/juice? do you have mayo on the salad etc?

if that is all you eat then you're eating to little (around 1200 cals depending on portion size and what dinner is; but it could easily come in at nearer 950-1000 if you have lots of veggies and not many carbs for dinner). You're only 19, if you're 5"5 you should be eating around 1750 to lose and no less than 1500 ideally.

Try doing some more cardio as well, if you actually have fat to lose it will be better (well...quicker) to get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't all this depend on how much you weigh already? You probably don't want to lose a stone if you're slim already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesuperficial)
    weigh/measure all your portions and make sure you're including everything you eat and drink in your calorie intake. Do you really only eat 3 times a day? no snacks? no tea/coke/juice? do you have mayo on the salad etc?

if that is all you eat then you're eating to little (around 1200 cals depending on portion size and what dinner is; but it could easily come in at nearer 950-1000 if you have lots of veggies and not many carbs for dinner). You're only 19, if you're 5"5 you should be eating around 1750 to lose and no less than 1500 ideally.

Try doing some more cardio as well, if you actually have fat to lose it will be better (well...quicker) to get rid of it.
    Thanks for the reply

I don't drink tea or anything, just apple and pear Robinsons squash, about 4 pints of that a day - the no added sugar one

I'm making a conscious effort to not snack inbetween and I have a small bit of light salad cream with the tuna salad.

Yea I'm 5'6, I'm not fat or anything I weigh just over 9 stone just I went on holiday recentley and put on a stone, I wouldn't mind if you couldn't see but it's a bit noticable round the hips :o:

Sooo if I take up skipping, how long / often would anyone reccomend? I've never bothered with anything like this before because I've never really had to so don't really know what I'm doing lol.

And would skipping be in place of the pole dancing or as well as ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You've not bothered before, cause you're diet wasn't giving what you need. Things will get better now.

ReputationRep:
    I'd start with around 30 minutes of cardio a day. Would you like some help devising a schedule? Feel free to drop me a message if you'd like some help, I'll do my best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    If your calorie useage is increasing, and your intake is not increasing, the lack of weight loss is due to muscle gain. Pole dancing can work the muscles quite hard. Try running/swimming/skipping.
    Erm, not really. If your intake is not increasing but your usage is - assuming your weight was staying level before - you will lose weight. For a given value of intake minus usage, the more muscle you add, the more fat you'll lose (not considering the effects of changes of lifestyle might have on the way you store water, but they won't be that important in the long run).

Basically, if the weight isn't shifting, up your activity level (I wouldn't recommend reducing the diet as it doesn't seem that big).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Erm, not really. If your intake is not increasing but your usage is - assuming your weight was staying level before - you will lose weight. For a given value of intake minus usage, the more muscle you add, the more fat you'll lose (not considering the effects of changes of lifestyle might have on the way you store water, but they won't be that important in the long run).

Basically, if the weight isn't shifting, up your activity level (I wouldn't recommend reducing the diet as it doesn't seem that big).
    Ok then I'll up the activity, what's your suggestion? As someone else said to start with cadio for half an hour a day :confused:

ReputationRep:
    swimming is good, also walk everywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Ok then I'll up the activity, what's your suggestion? As someone else said to start with cadio for half an hour a day :confused:
    The first suggestion is usually HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training - see the sticky). It's a good way of building up fitness using relatively short workouts.

My biggest suggestion when it comes to activity is do something you enjoy - it's better to do something that's maybe not the best use of your time fitness-wise but you'll stick to than some sort of optimal plan that you'll get fed up of. I don't know if it's something you're into, but something I often recommend for people trying to get into doing regular exercise is squash, because it's a lot of fun, easy to do, very energetic and you can't make excuses based on the weather.

ReputationRep:
    All I read was 'pole dancing' :coma:

Sorry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatFridge)
    All I read was 'pole dancing' :coma:

Sorry...
    Thank you for your helpful post

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    The first suggestion is usually HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training - see the sticky). It's a good way of building up fitness using relatively short workouts.

My biggest suggestion when it comes to activity is do something you enjoy - it's better to do something that's maybe not the best use of your time fitness-wise but you'll stick to than some sort of optimal plan that you'll get fed up of. I don't know if it's something you're into, but something I often recommend for people trying to get into doing regular exercise is squash, because it's a lot of fun, easy to do, very energetic and you can't make excuses based on the weather.

Ok I'll have a read through that in the morning then, bit tired now!

If I was to do skipping for half an hour each morning, (that would prob be the most convinient for me) is this stone going to take forever to shift?

It's proving harder to get rid of then it was to put on

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your helpful post

:rolleyes:
    Anytime. If you need some help with the pole dancing, you know who to call.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply

I don't drink tea or anything, just apple and pear Robinsons squash, about 4 pints of that a day - the no added sugar one

I'm making a conscious effort to not snack inbetween and I have a small bit of light salad cream with the tuna salad.

Yea I'm 5'6, I'm not fat or anything I weigh just over 9 stone just I went on holiday recentley and put on a stone, I wouldn't mind if you couldn't see but it's a bit noticable round the hips :o:

Sooo if I take up skipping, how long / often would anyone reccomend? I've never bothered with anything like this before because I've never really had to so don't really know what I'm doing lol.

And would skipping be in place of the pole dancing or as well as ?

Thanks
    you need to eat more. you should be aiming for around 1500 calories a day and you're not getting that (unless your evening meals are huuuge). Try eating healthy snacks, bannana in the morning and a handful of nuts and a couple of apples in the afternoonm, maybe put some fruit with the cereal or try having eggs or peanut butter on toast for breakfast. The weight you want to get to is also below the healthy BMI range (not that BMI is always a great indicator, but still, that means it'll be tricky to lose that much weight).

Try skipping (at a high intensity) for about 20 mins 2-4 times a week, keep up with the pole dancing...its good for strength. Maybe also try going for an hour long bike ride once or twice a week? If you haven't got access to a gym then do some research about weights training you can do at home...

to be honest I think you're trying to lose too much, and at your current weight its going to be long and slow. But its your choice, just make sure you do it healthily and that you're doing it in a way you can keep up for the rest of your life, there's no point in killing yourself to lose weight if you're only going to put it back on next year.

also check out www.caloriecount.about.com it might be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the fastest way would probably be amputation.

When you think about it, your leg weighs a fair amount :yep:

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, if you're already a healthy weight, then your diet is not what you need to be adjusting.

I'm 5'0" and 44kgs - I have NEVER noticed any change in my body shape regardless of how well (or how terribly) I've been eating. The only thing that will make a difference at this stage is exercise. You don't really need to lose fat, you just need to tone and shape the bodymass you already have. It really depends on how many hours per day/week you want to spend working out, but you'll probably need to spend longer exercising than you'd think.

My personal suggestion, in terms of sheer efficiency, would be Bikram yoga (the kind you do in a hot room at a temperature of 43C). This option is available to you if you live in either London, Brighton, Bristol, Leicester, Richmond or Manchester. If you do a daily month-long practice, you will see an amazing change in your body shape (and this is coming from someone who's had essentially the same figure since she was 13). In the absence of this, I would give the high-cardio dance styles a try. This includes ballet (probably one of the most athletic "sports" out there), street dance and - yes - pole dancing. But you'll need to do this at least three times a week or you probably won't see the results you want.

Other than this, if it's feasible, I suggest walking whenever you can. I've found that whenever I live in a city, I tend to be much skinnier, since I'm constantly burning calories. As long as you keep fairly physically active for most of the day (i.e. using up more calories than you take in), you'll maintain your weight. But to really shape your figure, you need to commit to at least a three day a week practice of some sort of cardio.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    It's 'lose'. Why can no-one spell this word correctly these days?

Why?

Lose, losing, loss etc

Where on earth does 'loosing' come from?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.