Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My friend has recently started working at macdonalds and constantly moans about how fed up she is working there.
    She seems to be doing a lot more closes (working till 3 in the morning) than she originally agreed to. Today she is working from 4:45 untill 3 in the morning.

At quater past 6 she got forced by the shift manager to take a 45 minute break early. That means she's going to be working 8 hours straight now without a break untill 3 in the morning. I was wondering if they are the ones in the wrong? Infact does that break any kinda laws?

The manager kinda said you're taking it now it's not up for discussion, lol she says she is going to die now without a break because it's her third close on the run. She's too scared to stick up for herself incase she gets sacked and can't find another job.

ReputationRep:
    I am not at all certain but I think that there is a legal limit on breaks but I think that is is that you are entitled to a minimum of 20 minutes off per 6 hours worked so as far as I know the manager is technically not in the wrong.

Also, if she is contracted for a certain number of closes and is told she is working more than that then she is perfectly within her right to tell her boss that she is only contracted to do a certain number and if she gets fired then I am pretty sure she woud be able to claim for wrongful dismissal.

Vague but I hope I have helped a bit!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, yeah i think you're right. =[ Still sucks if they can make you take it right at the beginning of a shift instead of half way through. I've always been lucky, always been allowed to take mine roughly half way through.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, when I worked there I generally got my breaks at decent times although I did have a few shifts where I would end up working 7 or 8 hours without a break, usually due to there being a lack of staff for the shift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Yeah, when I worked there I generally got my breaks at decent times although I did have a few shifts where I would end up working 7 or 8 hours without a break, usually due to there being a lack of staff for the shift.
    So imagine somebody was doing a shift that was 12 hours long. Does that mean that by law you'd only be entitled to a 20 minute break for the whole 12 hours? That seems really rubbish to me

And that must of been pretty annoying, even if it was a really quiet day, 8 hours without a break seems unfair.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a 30 minute break every 6 hours at least? Working 8 hours without a break is ridiculous. Your friend needs to learn how to say no.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like people that moan about their job. Leave it if you don't like it. Last night I worked 12 hours without taking any breaks. I don't give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    It's 15 minutes for every 4 hours that she is entitled to under law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    I don't like people that moan about their job. Leave it if you don't like it. Last night I worked 12 hours without taking any breaks. I don't give a damn.

Completely agree! I just wanted to know so that i could say (which i just have in the form of a text message)

"You're gunna have to either stand up for yourself or quit. That or live with it.
    How can they say anything when by law you are entitled..."

Although it seems they are right. The goverment website does say the break is supposed to be in the middle but oh well.

Thanks for the info everyones !

ReputationRep:
    She is entitled to one 45 minute break for an 8 hour shift. For more than an 8 hour shift (which is what she will be scheduled, it being a close) she is entitled to another 20 minute break, as per the McDonald's crew handbook.

I work in McDonald's as well, and some of the managers can be unreasonable. It's important to actually read the handbook and find out what you're entitled to. I'm not sure about legality, but it's store policy to give her another 20 minute break later on if she's working more than 8 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tlozoot)
    She is entitled to one 45 minute break for an 8 hour shift. For more than an 8 hour shift (which is what she will be scheduled, it being a close) she is entitled to another 20 minute break, as per the McDonald's crew handbook.

I work in McDonald's as well, and some of the managers can be unreasonable. It's important to actually read the handbook and find out what you're entitled to. I'm not sure about legality, but it's store policy to give her another 20 minute break later on if she's working more than 8 hours.
    Ah right thanks for the info i'll let her know!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.