Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is better suited to another forum but I wanted a general consensus of opinion on this.

Basically this is the issue - when house hunting for 2nd year accom. in Nottingham, myself and 2 of my girlfriends went house hunting and eventually found a lovely house in the main student area. 5 bedrooms, all doubles and the whole house finished to a great standard with kitchen equipment and cutlery etc provided, standard lounge etc.

So, despite not having found 5 people yet we still went ahead and put down the deposit and advertised for 2 more housemates. We found them albeit about 4 months after finding the house ourselves, two guys, and all was fine and dandy until they saw the house and kicked up a fuss over bedrooms and rent.

Normally, rent would be £73.50 a week which seems v.fair for what it is so this comes to £294 per person per month. However, one of the boys who has been left with the smallest room - still a double bare in mind! - has kicked up a fuss. Now, he was the last person to join our group, in about April time when if he had gone looking then would not have found a house as nice as ours. Obviously all the nice ones get snapped up fast and there are some real dives in Nottingham in terms of student housing.

Anyway, he is now proposing that we all pay on a scale in terms of how big our bedrooms are! I have the biggest bedroom, admittedly, the other two girls have their first choice bedrooms as well and neither is a lot smaller than mine. I think mine seems bigger as it has a big bay window.

Money wise he is demanding, not even suggesting or proposing, that I pay a total of £337 a month which puts my rent up by £9.50 a week to £83! Now, x that by 4 and that is £38 extra a month! My vodafone contract is that amount!

So, what I'm asking is this fair? Ok so I do have a bigger bedroom and have settled to the fact that I will have to pay more - he has been quite mean about this and the other guy as well but surely not £9.50 a week more?

He came in late in the game and IMO should either like it or lump it and certainly not go round demanding what he wants. He even told us he wants to pay no more than £60 a week! This is a boy who went to one of the most well known public schools in the country at £27k a year!

Sorry for the ranting nature of this post but as you can imagine I am pretty stressed out by this! Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that you would be able to find anyone else to fill their/his places at this stage? I think he's being very rude about this; I can't see how he has come to this figure of £9.50 extra a month, it seems quite arbitrary. I think the only fair way of paying the rent would be for each person to pay the same amount. You and your friends did the hard work of finding the house, and they've hopped on at the last minute. You shouldn't be forced to pay more than you otherwise would have just because this guy refuses to pay more than £60. If I were you I would tell him to accept the situation as it is, or else he can sling his hook and you will find one/two nicer housemates and he can go pay his £60 a month and live in a hole

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to get lost! When I was looking round houses, one of the properties we looked at did have a vastly larger bedroom one to bedroom two, and I offered to pay a little more, but that's only something to seriously consider when the difference is fairly significant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    Sorry if this is better suited to another forum but I wanted a general consensus of opinion on this.

Basically this is the issue - when house hunting for 2nd year accom. in Nottingham, myself and 2 of my girlfriends went house hunting and eventually found a lovely house in the main student area. 5 bedrooms, all doubles and the whole house finished to a great standard with kitchen equipment and cutlery etc provided, standard lounge etc.

So, despite not having found 5 people yet we still went ahead and put down the deposit and advertised for 2 more housemates. We found them albeit about 4 months after finding the house ourselves, two guys, and all was fine and dandy until they saw the house and kicked up a fuss over bedrooms and rent.

Normally, rent would be £73.50 a week which seems v.fair for what it is so this comes to £294 per person per month. However, one of the boys who has been left with the smallest room - still a double bare in mind! - has kicked up a fuss. Now, he was the last person to join our group, in about April time when if he had gone looking then would not have found a house as nice as ours. Obviously all the nice ones get snapped up fast and there are some real dives in Nottingham in terms of student housing.

Anyway, he is now proposing that we all pay on a scale in terms of how big our bedrooms are! I have the biggest bedroom, admittedly, the other two girls have their first choice bedrooms as well and neither is a lot smaller than mine. I think mine seems bigger as it has a big bay window.

Money wise he is demanding, not even suggesting or proposing, that I pay a total of £337 a month which puts my rent up by £9.50 a week to £83! Now, x that by 4 and that is £38 extra a month! My vodafone contract is that amount!

So, what I'm asking is this fair? Ok so I do have a bigger bedroom and have settled to the fact that I will have to pay more - he has been quite mean about this and the other guy as well but surely not £9.50 a week more?

He came in late in the game and IMO should either like it or lump it and certainly not go round demanding what he wants. He even told us he wants to pay no more than £60 a week! This is a boy who went to one of the most well known public schools in the country at £27k a year!

Sorry for the ranting nature of this post but as you can imagine I am pretty stressed out by this! Any advice?
    as the situation stands it would be both futile and indeed impossible to comment given that I do not know the relative room spaces on offer.
    That said, you rather seem to have missed the point of sharing; if 5 people are going to live in a house then there should be 5 people drawing lots for their choice of room.... with rules of payment clearly layed out before hand. You haven't done that, you have chosen the biggest room for yourself and are now complaining that a propspective housemate does not see this as fair, well guess what, he is right.

ReputationRep:
    I saw some houses that had vast differences in the size of rooms. Some landlords actually gave discounts on the smaller rooms.

I think he is justified in thinking he should pay less, but i can't comment on how much as i don't know the size of the rooms. An extra £9 seems alot for just you though, can't you share it in appropriate proportions amongst the others? If you all can't compromise then he'll have to find somewhere else to live and you'll need a new person.

If you were in his position, would you not want a discount? If not then swap.

Just try to find a way of splitting it a bit more fairly than what he has suggested. I don't know, measure them and split the cost according to the ratio of the rooms to each other.

ReputationRep:
    It would be fairer to alter the rent according to room size, can you come up with different/fairer amounts and suggest it to the group?

Or try swapping rooms if theres someone else who would be willing to pay that amount?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen rooms priced according to size before. I don't quite know the size difference but he isn't being entirely unreasonable.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Given he was last to join the house, he must have known which room was going to be his before he signed up? Like you said, its a nice house, and there's always people wanting accommodation last minute. Just tell him that he is easily replaceable so to either pay up or leave.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon you should chuck him, I paid an extra £2 a week for my larger room and I was fine with it, but £9.50 is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    9 pounds a week is hardly any money...

ReputationRep:
    You're not just sharing rooms though are you?

You're sharing the living space too, which is freely available for everyone; he was the last to move in, and got a smaller room, tough **** - tell him he can live with it (literally), or find somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    He was the last to join the group and must have known what he was signing up for. I'd tell him that if he's not willing to pay his share then he should find somewhere else to live. You'll be able to replace him.

ReputationRep:
    If your room is tons bigger then his room then i think he is right

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be on a sliding scale to an extent - but £9 on you seems a bit unfair, and it doesn't seem like he's gone about it in the right way. Explain to him that he was the last in and that was the room left - try and compromise a bit because it's only fair people with smaller rooms pay a little less, but I certainly wouldn't compromise to the extent that he is demanding.

ReputationRep:
    well if his room is significantly smaller than the others', paying the same money for it seems like a ripoff.

ReputationRep:
    FIRSTLY, rent may be quoted on a "per week" basis, as in your case, £73.50 p/w
    BUT, you pay it on a "per calendar month" basis, which isn't 4 weeks (28 days) but 4 weeks and 3 days (31 days)
    SO, 73.50/7 = 10.50 per day,
    10.50 x 31 = 325.5
    So hes pretty much overcharging you by about £2.59 a week

ReputationRep:
    Either he thinks his room is worth £73.50 a week, or he doesn't. If he does, then he has no right to kick up a fuss just because others in the house are getting a better deal; if he doesn't, he can leave.

ReputationRep:
    You could just say that he doesn't have to pay as much when it comes to bills? The concessions he's asking for are a bit much though it seems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.