Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it weird/bad to fall in love with someone you have never met or spoken to? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    You cannot fall in love with someone you have never met in person. It is impossible. End of discussion.

ps. and dont say "what about Christians and Jesus?" because that's not the same.
    Zwei, I'm in love with the girl in your sig :love:

ReputationRep:
    Love is the pinnacle of the relationship between two people. I mean where else can you go with someone after you fall in love? So if you dont reach that point, you are not in love with them. Let's say you could go past love, then that would mean love would be quantifiable, in other words you can love one thing more than another. But then you cant technically say you love one person more than another, because if love is the pinnacle of the relationship between two people, then how can one the love you have for one be superior to the other.
    I don't see love as the pinnacle of the relationship. I see love as a set of emotions. When you're in love with someone (from my experience, of course for other people it may be very different) I take that to mean you're crazy about them to the point where you can't see their flaws properly. On the other hand I think when you do love someone (as opposed to being in love with them) that you see their flaws and are comfortable with them, and with that person.

It's because of this that I think you can not meet someone and love them. I spoke to a girl for 18 months on the internet, I fell in love with her, I met her, I fell for her more.
    Now I think you can tell a lot about someone from their body language, and you can't really express that that well over 'teh interwebz'...but I don't think body language is vital to getting to know someone.

ReputationRep:
    To the OP: No, don't be so ridiculous. You fancy the guy, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    You're not in love, don't be so ridiculous. It's just a crush or lust

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I don't see love as the pinnacle of the relationship. I see love as a set of emotions. When you're in love with someone (from my experience, of course for other people it may be very different) I take that to mean you're crazy about them to the point where you can't see their flaws properly. On the other hand I think when you do love someone (as opposed to being in love with them) that you see their flaws and are comfortable with them, and with that person.

It's because of this that I think you can not meet someone and love them. I spoke to a girl for 18 months on the internet, I fell in love with her, I met her, I fell for her more.
    Now I think you can tell a lot about someone from their body language, and you can't really express that that well over 'teh interwebz'...but I don't think body language is vital to getting to know someone.
    You're right love is a set of certain emotions, but the point I'm trying to make is that those emotions are so strong they cant get any stronger, which is why I said you cant really 'go past' love.

About the girl, I'm sure you may have become extremely emotionally attached to this girl before meeting her, but considering that you had never actually met her in person you cant realistically say you loved her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapturedSoul)
    To the OP: No, don't be so ridiculous. You fancy the guy, that's all.
    Er..dude im a Straight GUY. I am only asking

ReputationRep:
    Love is ******** anyway. We're organic matter, we get eaten by worms when we die. Love is made up, we're just here to pro-create. Sorry to kill the party.

ReputationRep:
    ..it gets weird once you start following them to the bus stop, pretending to be waiting for a bus so you can catch a glimpse of them..

ReputationRep:
    How would you define 'love'?
    It might not be lust, but it could be infatuation, or it could be something bordering on idolatry, but it's all a matter of definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheri234)
    ..it gets weird once you start following them to the bus stop, pretending to be waiting for a bus so you can catch a glimpse of them..
    ha!
    would you have had experience of this then? :p:

ReputationRep:
    You cannot love someone without talking to them.

ReputationRep:
    You're right love is a set of certain emotions, but the point I'm trying to make is that those emotions are so strong they cant get any stronger, which is why I said you cant really 'go past' love.

About the girl, I'm sure you may have become extremely emotionally attached to this girl before meeting her, but considering that you had never actually met her in person you cant realistically say you loved her.
    1) who the **** are you to say what I did or did not feel for her? You don't know me or her or who we were at that time.

2) I loved her before and after I met her, yes, I met her.

3) I met her more than once, both times I fell for her more and more.

4) Perhaps that's what you call love but you seem to be quantifying it in that case, perhaps I misread your post before but I believe you said it wasn't quantifiable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Love is ******** anyway. We're organic matter, we get eaten by worms when we die. Love is made up, we're just here to pro-create. Sorry to kill the party.
    HAHAHA, you just crashed the party and made it your own. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think the concept of love is that of subjectivity as I said before. We see actions made based on emotions and label those emotions as love. For me I know what those emotions feel like, just like I know which emotions I label as happiness, sorrow so on so forth. But there is an odd and to me, scary mindset of saying "he didn't do action A or B" or "he did action X and Y" and thus apparently he didn't love her etc.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has probably said this but I don't think you'd actually be able to properly fall in love. The person may think that they are in love but it's actually an infatuation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.