Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First swine flu death of someone with no underlying health problems Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has swine flu nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    :afraid: :afraid: :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound good, but that being said it doesn't say how old the person is. So if the are elderly, or a young toddler then we don't need to worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    :bawling:

i bet they'll find that the person did, infact, have something else!

ReputationRep:
    Is there actually any increase in ratio from normal flu: death to swine flu: death?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not worried. People at college have it. My old school has shut down because they've had a few cases. If I get it then so be it. Don't know if that's a silly attitude to take but I'm honestly not in the slightest bit anxious. Shame about the death though

ReputationRep:
    Channel 4 news must be behind then as nothings been mentioned about it on there yet

ReputationRep:
    Big deal.. Seasonal flu kills healthy people at a faster rate than swine flu.

ReputationRep:
    its scary, but to be honest normal flu kills more than this has
    the death is sad though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    its scary, but to be honest normal flu kills more than this has
    the death is sad though
    Very true but i think the main worry from most people is the idea of it mutating....very similar to when people were scared of bird flu mutating

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone on TSR have swine flu?

I was pretty ill at the beginning of the week and had all the flu symptoms, but since I'm pretty much completely better now I doubt that's what it was.

Unless, shock horror, it's just like normal flu? :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNBStyle)
    Very true but i think the main worry from most people is the idea of it mutating....very similar to when people were scared of bird flu mutating
    yeah the mutation is pretty scary
    but then again look at what happened with bird flu, it may not come, and we'll deal with it when it does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmielociraptor)
    Does anyone on TSR have swine flu?

I was pretty ill at the beginning of the week and had all the flu symptoms, but since I'm pretty much completely better now I doubt that's what it was.

Unless, shock horror, it's just like normal flu? :shock:
    For the majority so far it has been pretty much the same as normal flu for them.
    Thats why some doctors think theres been more cases of swine flu but some people might have just chosen to treat themselves at home.

(Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    yeah the mutation is pretty scary
    but then again look at what happened with bird flu, it may not come, and we'll deal with it when it does
    Exactly but thats the scary thing not knowing, another problem though is the media blowing some storys about it way out of proportion

ReputationRep:
    Who cares, I'm still alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    Is there actually any increase in ratio from normal flu: death to swine flu: death?!
    The ratio for seasonal flu is 3 times lower than swine flu.
    (0.05% compared to 0.15%)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNBStyle)
    Exactly but thats the scary thing not knowing, another problem though is the media blowing some storys about it way out of proportion
    haha yeah the media is the big problem here, even if it wasn't serious i'm sure they'd make it somehow

ReputationRep:
    its scary though... blird flu was somthing very different from this virus... for example people never expected it to mutate this fast... it was only 2-4 months ago that it started to fully mutate, and only last month that it actually started to build a defence to tamilu the main virus to fight it. scientists are even rethinking the idea that H1N1 could combine with H5N1 forming a super virus an idea that was thought impossible moneths ago. This would be a much more agressive virus causing symtoms like serve headaches, high fevers, muscle pains, diarrea, persistant vomiting and may lead to vomiting of the blood and death.

ReputationRep:
    Any one have a link?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.