Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First swine flu death of someone with no underlying health problems Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8124987.stm - here is one

ReputationRep:
    A nine-year-old girl, huh. Is that considered a young age for someone with flu to die?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it can't be that much more deadly than normal flu surely. I think the media bring too much hype about swine flu. If they were to announce every person who died of for example, pneumonia in a day, they'd get hundreds of cases. However, I do hope for as little swine flu deaths as possible.

Marlon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_matez)
    its scary though... blird flu was somthing very different from this virus... for example people never expected it to mutate this fast... it was only 2-4 months ago that it started to fully mutate, and only last month that it actually started to build a defence to tamilu the main virus to fight it. scientists are even rethinking the idea that H1N1 could combine with H5N1 forming a super virus an idea that was thought impossible moneths ago. This would be a much more agressive virus causing symtoms like serve headaches, high fevers, muscle pains, diarrea, persistant vomiting and may lead to vomiting of the blood and death.
    ..so the scientists worked together to form a mega-zorb ultron sphere, which when combined with the light energy from the viruses natural chakra median would equalise the negative harmful spirits contained within the viral capsule...

sorry, that read like a science fiction written by a 12 year old with autism.
    I'd like to see some source information

ReputationRep:
    No other details are available yet, so this could have been someone in their 80s or a baby, in which case their immune system will be weaker than most. However, I do believe that it's being downplayed by the WHO as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugar_Puff_Fairy)
    No other details are available yet, so this could have been someone in their 80s or a baby, in which case their immune system will be weaker than most. However, I do believe that it's being downplayed by the WHO as much as possible.
    All i've heard was he/she was a "Adult" who had been in hospital for 9 days
    So not alot to go on considering a adult could mean any age

ReputationRep:
    not that 1000s of people die every year to normal flu some healthy some not

why are people so scared, but don't care about flu every year, welcome to the age of media scaring everyone

it can happy, young fit healthy people can just drop down dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MNBStyle)
    All i've heard was he/she was a "Adult" who had been in hospital for 9 days
    So not alot to go on considering a adult could mean any age

Yep, presumably aged 18 - 99!
    It says on the BBC website that the family have requested that no further details are released, which I do understand but on the other hand, it'd be very reassuring if they told us it was an 85 year old pensioner...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugar_Puff_Fairy)
    Yep, presumably aged 18 - 99!
    It says on the BBC website that the family have requested that no further details are released, which I do understand but on the other hand, it'd be very reassuring if they told us it was an 85 year old pensioner...
    Yes i do agree with you but i guess it depends, whos to say theres no underlying health problems that the patient didnt know about?

Assuming they aint done a autopsy yet im not sure how these things work to be honest

ReputationRep:
    well it had to happen eventually... but still... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    My uncle and cousin both have swine flu atm... it's pretty scary in my cousin's case though, because he is also diabetic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.