Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do med schools have to take a certain number of ethnic minority students that barely apply to medicine (i.e. African/Caribbean people)?

By the way, what is the ethnicity of the majority of people who apply to medicine (if that makes any sense whatsoever :p: )?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No! That would be racism.

Many schools want to encourage applications from under-represented groups (whether that's a particular ethnic minority, socioeconomic group, or those from a particular postcode), but that's a seperate issue.

The proportion of people from different ethnic backgrounds applying and being accepted should be approximately the same ... if it isn't I imagine they have to come up with a convincing reason why.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No, maybe Oxford and Cambridge, due to their elitist dishonest nature.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    2008 Entry

Total Applicants for Medicine & Dentistry (applicants 20 and under) = 11,932

White(Total) = 7,162
    Black(Total) = 495
    Asian(Total) = 3,304
    Mixed(Total) = 427
    Other&Unknown(Total) = 544

The Above Stats are only for applicants 20 and under (the majority)

I also know the Socio-Economic groups and the breakdown of the Ethnicity and Ethnic Origin within each of the main groups above. E.G 2,617(36.5%) of all white applicants come from families in the Highest Socio-Economic Group, and 127(25.6%) of all Black applicants are from families in the highest Socio-Economic group.

Total Applicants from Highest Socio-Economic group from 2008 Entry were 4,020(34%) (20 and Under)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Do med schools have to take a certain number of ethnic minority students that barely apply to medicine (i.e. African/Caribbean people)?

By the way, what is the ethnicity of the majority of people who apply to medicine (if that makes any sense whatsoever :p: )?
    No.

Applicant ethnicity did seem to vary between med schools.

e.g. Bristol mainly white, Leicester mainly Asian, St Andrews mainly white.

I am under the impression that there are lots of Asians at London med schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    What's your evidence for Oxford and Cambridge being elitist and dishonest??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Madprof)
    What's your evidence for Oxford and Cambridge being elitist and dishonest??
    They way they treat applicants from non-selective low preforming state schools who have excellent academia and personal statements.

Its practically a fact, almost zero Cambridge students fit into the category above. From my own experience this year i have seen 9 students at my school and local schools receive 4 offers from High preforming universities to be rejected from cambridge and oxford after interview and no real reason being provided.

And competition at Oxbridge is roughly equal to that of Imperial and LSE.

ReputationRep:
    They way they treat applicants from non-selective low preforming state schools who have excellent academia and personal statements.

Its practically a fact, almost zero Cambridge students fit into the category above. From my own experience this year i have seen 9 students at my school and local schools receive 4 offers from High preforming universities to be rejected from cambridge and oxford after interview and no real reason being provided.

People from high performing state schools with excellent academia and personal statements also get rejected....

And even if the ratio to place is the same at Oxbridge compared to Imperial, the applicants for Oxbridge tend to be much stronger comparatively.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    People from high performing state schools with excellent academia and personal statements also get rejected....

And even if the ratio to place is the same at Oxbridge compared to Imperial, the applicants for Oxbridge tend to be much stronger comparatively.

Yea, but ~0% and about 60% of applicants is very different

ReputationRep:
    2008 Entry

White(Total) = 7,162
    Black(Total) = 495
    Asian(Total) = 3,304
    Mixed(Total) = 427

I also know the Socio-Economic groups and the breakdown of the Ethnicity and Ethnic Origin within each of the main groups above. E.G 2,617(36.5%) of all white applicants come from families in the Highest Socio-Economic Group, and 127(25.6%) of all Black applicants are from families in the highest Socio-Economic group.

Total Applicants from Highest Socio-Economic group from 2008 Entry were 4,020(34%) (20 and Under)
    Care to mention where you got those figures from? Thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by toby_ling)
    Care to mention where you got those figures from? Thanks.
    UCAS

ReputationRep:
    2008 Entry

White(Total) = 7,162
    Black(Total) = 495
    Asian(Total) = 3,304
    Mixed(Total) = 427

Bit more detail please; where and when? That's a bit useless on it's own, it'd be really interesting to compare the applicant statistics with the offer statistics.

ReputationRep:
    nope, the only time you really see members from an ethnic minority in Oxford or Cambridge is in their prospectuses' :p:

(Original post by MichaelG)
    nope, the only time you really see members from an ethnic minority in Oxford or Cambridge is in their prospectuses' :p:
    My brother is applying to Cambridge in the next cycle and he noticed a disproportionate amount of ethnic minorities when I went on a trip to cam bridge it was not that divers at all I didn't see any ethnic minorities, it would be good marketing if everyone couldn't tell its not the case.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Renal)
    Bit more detail please; where and when? That's a bit useless on it's own, it'd be really interesting to compare the applicant statistics with the offer statistics.

Applicants from the United Kingdom for the 2008 Cycle.

These Statistics are from UCAS.

What other detail would you like, ill make a proper table, and post it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    2008 Entry

More Detail

Attached Images

ReputationRep:

My school has got 2 people into Oxbridge for medicine in seven years. 3 or 4 apply every year. Across all subjects it's highly unusual that more than 2 out of 10 people applying get an offer. The vast majority of med applicants get at least one offer from another med school and those applying for other subjects usually got a full set of offers bar the Oxbridge one. They all have good academia and general profiles and it is a very highly performing grammar school (about a fifth of the year usually get at least AAA)

So really quite similar to your school's applicants from what you say. Yet I wouldn't say Cambridge or Oxford is unfair or dishonest, and no more elitist than UCL or Imperial (in my experience)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)

Nope.

Why would they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madprof)
    The proportion of people from different ethnic backgrounds applying and being accepted should be approximately the same ... if it isn't I imagine they have to come up with a convincing reason why.

Interesting when you also look at the eligible to apply cohort too.

Which can be done by UCAS if you pay money apparently e.g. people by ethnic background who are any of: applying to university / applying to medicine and achieve AAA in the appropriate subjects.

Re. Prospectus photos - not any big conspiracy.
    They email to invite people to photoshoots by mailing lists of volunteers for access-y admissions things.
    A higher than average % of people on these lists are likely to be less traditionally represented groups.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 15, 2009

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.