x Turn on thread page Beta

Is there any sort of ethnic quota thing....? watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Madprof)
    No! That would be racism.

Many schools want to encourage applications from under-represented groups (whether that's a particular ethnic minority, socioeconomic group, or those from a particular postcode), but that's a seperate issue.

The proportion of people from different ethnic backgrounds applying and being accepted should be approximately the same ... if it isn't I imagine they have to come up with a convincing reason why.

It isnt!

and the percentage acceptance is best if you a white and in the highest Socio-Economic Group. 57% for everyone else its at least 10-20% lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    Nope.

Why would they?
    lol I don't know :o: ....I guess my answer lies in those schemes they have for medics of ethnic minorities, I think King's has something like that...or disadvantaged backgrounds for ethnic minority people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    lol I don't know :o: ....I guess my answer lies in those schemes they have for medics of ethnic minorities, I think King's has something like that...or disadvantaged backgrounds for ethnic minority people.
    :laugh: Those schemes are not for ethnic minorities, but are for people (regardless of race) who live in areas which have poor education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    :laugh: Those schemes are not for ethnic minorities, but are for people (regardless of race) who live in areas which have poor education.
    If you live in Lambeth and are from a disadvantaged background, what ethnicity are you?

(Actually, if you live in Lambeth...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    I know, i got a little confused.

Nine out of ten come from ethnic-minority communities and just under a third from middle-class families. To qualify they must have come from one of 100 state schools in the 15 most educationally deprived boroughs in inner London.
    before you say, yes i know it is regardless of race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    It isnt!

and the percentage acceptance is best if you a white and in the highest Socio-Economic Group. 57% for everyone else its at least 10-20% lower.
    Why do you think that is? Must be racism, surely?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Renal)
    Why do you think that is? Must be racism, surely?
    It has nothing to do with racism!

Better Socio-economic group = more money = better area = better school = better grades = more chance of getting an offer.

Its obvious.

ReputationRep:
    It has nothing to do with racism!

Better Socio-economic group = more money = better area = better school = better grades = more chance of getting an offer.

Its obvious.
    What about skills in conversational english? Or banter?

Do you think they're evenly distributed through the races and socio-economic spectrum?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Renal)
    What about skills in conversational english? Or banter?

Do you think they're evenly distributed through the races and socio-economic spectrum?
    Nope, but comes to the same thing again.

Im from a middle socio-economic white(well more yellow) background, where my chances are ~47%, 10% lower than the top group.

Am I less skilled in conversational English? Just because I went to a ******** school?

ReputationRep:
    Am I less skilled in conversational English? Just because I went to a ******** school?
    Here was I thinking that we could have a rational discussion, but no, if you're going to take the position that you are entirely representative of your self-defined socio-economic group that might be a little hard.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Renal)
    Here was I thinking that we could have a rational discussion, but no, if you're going to take the position that you are entirely representative of your self-defined socio-economic group that might be a little hard.
    Im not!

I never said i was, but your generalisation is valid for the ENITE socio-economic group, where i am only generalising MEDICNE applicants in that group.

I.E People who are predicted at least AAB at A Level, these people clearly have no problems with English?

(BTW i think i have missed your entire point, can you try again?)

ReputationRep:
    I.E People who are predicted at least AAB at A Level, these people clearly have no problems with English?
    Sorry, who's generalising?

That's clearly wrong given the number of people who get into medical school without being able to hold a conversation, god alone knows how awful the applicants who don't get in are.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Renal)
    Sorry, who's generalising?

That's clearly wrong given the number of people who get into medical school without being able to hold a conversation, god alone knows how awful the applicants who don't get in are.

Now i see, yes there are many people unable to communicate in medical school and life in general, but does that necessarily mean that the lower down the socio-economic grouping you are the worse your communication skills?

Seeing as you have an opinion about most things, do you think me not getting into medical school was the correct decision? and Why?

ReputationRep:
    Now i see, yes there are many people unable to communicate in medical school and life in general, but does that necessarily mean that the lower down the socio-economic grouping you are the worse your communication skills?
    In general, I think so - for a number of intangible and unmeasurable variables ranging from parental 'care' to standard of schooling to ethnicity. Do you not?

Seeing as you have an opinion about most things, do you think me not getting into medical school was the correct decision? and Why?
    If you really want to know...

Of course I don't have an opinion on you, I try very hard not to judge you on the standard of your posts.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Renal)
    In general, I think so - for a number of intangible and unmeasurable variables ranging from parental 'care' to standard of schooling to ethnicity. Do you not?

If you really want to know...

Of course I don't have an opinion on you, I try very hard not to judge you on the standard of your posts.
    I come across irrational and argumentative in some of my posts.

But judge me on my posts i wanna know your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I come across irrational and argumentative in some of my posts.
    Argumentative yes, I wouldn't have said irrational myself, if I had to pick one word it might be embittered.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Renal)
    Argumentative yes, I wouldn't have said irrational myself, if I had to pick one word it might be embittered.
    That I'm very happy with, although that cant explain 4 rejections without interview. (and fake wait list at Southampton)

ReputationRep:
    I know, i got a little confused.

before you say, yes i know it is regardless of race.
    Do you happen to live in one of these boroughs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    Do you happen to live in one of these boroughs?
    I haven't seen/can't remember the boroughs but I don't go to a crap school

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen/can't remember the boroughs but I don't go to a crap school
    Thats too bad, if you did, and you didn't qualify for the MBBS 5 year course, you get automatically put into the 6 year course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.