Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When you think about it, apart from the whole "killing all the undesirables" idea, which was definitely unnecessary and unjustified, the Nazis werent so bad. When most people learn about the Nazis they're only taught about the Holocaust, but the Nazis actually did a lot of good in Germany in terms of social reform, and when you dissect and study Nazi ideology there is a lot of stuff that makes sense.

For example, one of the cardinal tenets of Nazi ideology was 'superiority', in particular the creation of intellectually and physically superior men and women, which is why they invested so much in their eugenics programs. I think the Nazis were mistaken in ascribing this superiority to Aryan blue-eyed blond haired people, because intellectual and physical superiority is not dependent on ethnicity, but the Nazi idea of advancing humanity and instigating the next stage of biological and mental evolution is definitely one that I applaud.

LET ME ASSERT THAT I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE NAZIS HATRED AND UNJUST KILLING OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, WHAT I DO HOWEVER AGREE WITH IS THEIR EFFORTS TO ADVANCE HUMANITY.

ReputationRep:
    That's deep man.

Although I admire their obsession with discovering the history of a race they made up.

ReputationRep:
    if you fitted in, life was probably pretty good in nazi germany, at least until the war.

plus the autobahns, which are amazing.

oh, and rocket technology, which was basically invented under the nazis.

but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Not as bad as the Japs that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    "If we take away all the bad things they did then they did good things!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    When you think about it, apart from the whole "killing all the undesirables" idea, which was definitely unnecessary and unjustified, the Nazis werent so bad. When most people learn about the Nazis they're only taught about the Holocaust, but the Nazis actually did a lot of good in Germany in terms of social reform, and when you dissect and study Nazi ideology there is a lot of stuff that makes sense.

For example, one of the cardinal tenets of Nazi ideology was 'superiority', in particular the creation of intellectually and physically superior men and women, which is why they invested so much in their eugenics programs. I think the Nazis were mistaken in ascribing this superiority to Aryan blue-eyed blond haired people, because intellectual and physical superiority is not dependent on ethnicity, but the Nazi idea of advancing humanity and instigating the next stage of biological and mental evolution is definitely one that I applaud.
    end well this will not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    That's deep man.

Although I admire their obsession with discovering the history of a race they made up.
    You mean Aryans? Most historians agree that Hitler probably took his Aryan ideal from Germanic mythology, in particular the blond-haired blue-eyed noble viking cultures of the past.

ReputationRep:
    Pros: They had great architecture, and were really advanced with their motor industry, autobahn, volkswagen blah blah, helped ease unemployment (though this was partly achieved by kicking all unter-menschen [jews, gypsies... 'sub-humans'] out of their jobs and not declaring them as unemployed, and also not counting women as unemployed).

Cons: Fascist dictatorship, no democracy, killed all disabled, homophobic, evil, racist, had a ******* stupid foreign policy, deluded, socially unprogressive, against women rights, against modern 'degenerate' art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecopter)
    "If we take away all the bad things they did then they did good things!"
    ohlulz, good job on twisting my words and taking them totally out of context!

ReputationRep:
    There is NOTHING good about eugenics. To try and 'advance the human race' will always involve promoting the breeding of one group of people over another. Even without the racial prejudice there'd be prejudice of another kind. Afterall, taking a literal approach to survival of the fittest means there's always going to be some people who don't survive. And besides, eugenics has been proven to be scientifically invalid. It's impossible to delete genes from a gene pool by killing people with the undesirable phenotype.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Nazis were mistaken in ascribing this superiority to Aryan blue-eyed blond haired people, because intellectual and physical superiority is not dependent on ethnicity, but the Nazi idea of advancing humanity and instigating the next stage of biological and mental evolution is definitely one that I applaud.
    in theory its not a bad idea, if you could for example promote higher breeding in the upper classes and reduce it in the lower then in all likelyhood you would get a better society. Except the NSDAP took the opposite tact, and decided on methods of extermination and genocide to achieve thier aims. The nazis were execellent war economists, they made a society that was obidedient to see that the fatherland prospered above all else. On other levels maybe thier ideologies had some good ideas but they took it to extremities.

I went through this stage, you'll grow out of it.

ReputationRep:
    They built great roads, contributed massively to rocket technology and the internet too I believe.

However, that does not outweigh the more known characteristics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    I went through this stage, you'll grow out of it.
    Are you suggesting that my sympathising with select Nazi ideals is somehow a sign of immaturity? Well then you are mistaken. If anything my efforts to be objective about the past, and make rational well-informed judgments is a sign of maturity, a maturity that many so-called adults still lack.

Are you suggesting that my sympathising with select Nazi ideals is somehow some sign of immaturity? Well then you are mistaken, if anything trying yo be objective about the past, and make rational well-informed judgments is a sign of maturity, a maturity than many people still lack.
    (1) There's no way to traverse Hume's guillotine, and (2) objectivity is not accessible to us.

(Original post by Svenjamin)
    There is NOTHING good about eugenics. To try and 'advance the human race' will always involve promoting the breeding of one group of people over another. Even without the racial prejudice there'd be prejudice of another kind. Afterall, taking a literal approach to survival of the fittest means there's always going to be some people who don't survive. And besides, eugenics has been proven to be scientifically invalid. It's impossible to delete genes from a gene pool by killing people with the undesirable phenotype.
    exactly - and wouldnt "advancing humanity" through these means destroy the very concept of humanity anyway? everyone is born and develops differently: variation is an attribute of any biological population, incl humans

ReputationRep:
    ohlulz, good job on twisting my words and taking them totally out of context!
    Except this is what you said. If we take almost any regime in history and strip away the bad stuff we'll be left with some kind of good residue* This isn't some kind of breakthrough in objective history.

*Except Mao Tse Tung, he did nothing good. Whatsoever. Plus he was fugly. Unmitigated failure all round.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think some of their eugenic ideas will be realised in the next 100 years, with advanced genetics and all that. Super intelligent 'Designer' babies will probably be possible soon.

ReputationRep:
    LET ME ASSERT THAT I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE NAZIS HATRED AND UNJUST KILLING OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, WHAT I DO HOWEVER AGREE WITH IS THEIR EFFORTS TO ADVANCE HUMANITY.
    Eugenics was far more widely practiced and advocated than perhaps you realise in the mid-20th century and certainly before. So I don't see why you need to mention the example of the Nazis, which as you say, had a rather superficial application of it anyway (although not in their extermination of the mentally-ill and so on).

It's of course a very difficult idea to morally apply. At the very least it means denying the right of certain people to have children, or the giving of unfair incentives to others to have children. It's application also tends to be racist and based on pseudo-science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    (1) There's no way to traverse Hume's guillotine, and (2) objectivity is not accessible to us.
    Sorry, you're not allowed to argue for non-Cognitivism on a student room. You have to presume realism and shout madly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.