Turn on thread page Beta

How bad were the Nazis really? watch

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of eugenics, one might question whether or not it was actually a bad thing. :ninja: Who knows. If it wasn't for the Nazi "stain" it might have been a completely legitimate form of social engineering. I don't know. If Gattaca is anything to go by then probably not, but, tbf, if we're talking about sterilising unsuitable potential parents then fiddling with those genes which may be malign (i.e. mental disabilities) is hardly an intrinsic evil.

ReputationRep:
    It is worthless attempting to roll off a list of all the 'good' things the Nazis ever did. Yes, they may have contributed to Germany's infrastructure. And yes, they may have transformed Germany into the most modern European nation.

That, on the other hand, is TOTALLY and unequivocally thrown into the dark when you look at HOW they employed their technological superiority. Instead of trying to help cure or treat the disabled, they killed them. Instead of pursuing peaceful channels of development for new skills, they constructed a military whose sole purpose was to lay waste to Europe, ultimately triggering WWII, the Cold War and arguably most East/West European tensions since. Need I mention the process of industrialised mass murder at sites such as Aushwitz, Chelmo, Sobibor or Madjanek? 6 million people unjustly died in those camps and the Nazi triggering of the war ended up in the 100+million deaths between 1939-45.

Try to trump up their positives how you will (and I feel really strongly about this), the very presence of DEATH CAMPS in a state immediately overrides any positive about that state or party. I've visited Auschwitz and any talk of the Nazis in a positive light I find repugnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    in theory its not a bad idea, if you could for example promote higher breeding in the upper classes and reduce it in the lower then in all likelyhood you would get a better society. Except the NSDAP took the opposite tact, and decided on methods of extermination and genocide to achieve thier aims. The nazis were execellent war economists, they made a society that was obidedient to see that the fatherland prospered above all else. On other levels maybe thier ideologies had some good ideas but they took it to extremities.
    man your username! feel like a theft now well i spelt mine wrong but still haha...

oh yea and the nazis were *****, but it was a long time ago so screw it really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Less_then_zero)
    man your username! feel like a theft now well i spelt mine wrong but still haha...

oh yea and the nazis were *****, but it was a long time ago so screw it really
    haha:p:

true time to move on ma brether

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)

oh, and rocket technology, which was basically invented under the nazis.
    Wasnt it a british man that created the rocket but because everybody didnt believe what he could do nobody invested in him and then the germans got the rocket blueprints and then decided to use rockets as missiles.
    Remember seeing it on a documentary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    That's either really crap sarcasm or you're hideously right wing?
    Yeah well **** you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walker01)
    Wasnt it a british man that created the rocket but because everybody didnt believe what he could do nobody invested in him and then the germans got the rocket blueprints and then decided to use rockets as missiles.
    Remember seeing it on a documentary
    er, i doubt it. loads of people around the world had come up with the basic idea of the rocket, but it was germans (Wernher von Braun and friends) who turned the rocket from a curious toy to a realistic method of transport (via a fearsome weapon of war...).
    Germany was home to most of the world's rocket research even before the nazis, since the Weimar government saw rockets as a weapon that could be deployed en masse without violating the Treaty of Versailles (apparently), and so encouraged their development.

Nazism was always about scapegoating, warmongering, intimidation, murder and racism. All the rest was just filling in the gaps with a bit of populism about jobs and making a great Germany. You can't praise a serial rapist because they might make a nice cuppa and the same principle applies with the Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    You mean Aryans? Most historians agree that Hitler probably took his Aryan ideal from Germanic mythology, in particular the blond-haired blue-eyed noble viking cultures of the past.
    Just so you know, it's not germanic. It comes from Hindu scriptures where the Aryan were a superior race of warriors. Hitler had a habit maligning Hindu ideas, like using the inverse swastika sign etc.

That's my history lesson for the day done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyMarsh)
    They built great roads, contributed massively to rocket technology and the internet too I believe.

However, that does not outweigh the more known characteristics...
    They contributed nothing to the internet, the internet was invented by the British Scientist Tim Berners Lee in CERN in 1990.

(Original post by Svenjamin)
    It is? :confused:
    America famously used Eugenics and sterilised instead of killing the people they thought were inferior by tracing there families records such as education, criminal records, etc. Very famous for sterilising an 18 year old girl.

(Original post by littleshambles)
    Ol' Winston Churchill himself was a eugenicist I believe.
    At the beginning of the 20th Century he voted for Eugenics, but the way the USA did it by sterilisation. However by the 30's he was against it.

(Original post by xps.systems)
    err... what?

I'm an Aryan - they're people from north-east Persia.

Aryans are dark-haired, medium-tanned people who rode chariots.

Not yellow-haired sailors.

The swastika is an Aryan symbol displayed in many houses across India. I think this practice is very rare, in fact probably unheard of in Scandinavia.

No way was the Swastika a Viking symbol.

Hitler was a very confused man as well.

Those historians you're talking about are very very wrong.

squish.
    Indeed your correct. The reason why Hitler choose the Swastika was because it was symbol on his beloved mother's gravestone. I not sure if he realised it represnted peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam7v)
    Warfare or lunacy?
    Warfare. Its a famous quote by someone or another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocket Calculator)
    er, i doubt it. loads of people around the world had come up with the basic idea of the rocket, but it was germans (Wernher von Braun and friends) who turned the rocket from a curious toy to a realistic method of transport (via a fearsome weapon of war...).
    Germany was home to most of the world's rocket research even before the nazis, since the Weimar government saw rockets as a weapon that could be deployed en masse without violating the Treaty of Versailles (apparently), and so encouraged their development.

Correct, it never existed as a weapon, so wasnt covered by Versailles.

Pre war there were loads of rocket clubs, although many existed in Germany it was by no means exclusivity a German hobby. Von Braun and his team took something weighing about 5 kg and erratic at best when in the air, to a missile capable of carrying a bomb over 100 miles, reliably and reasonably accurately, in a space of about 15 years. Within a further 20 he had put men on the moon. An incredible achievement, no matter what you think about the Nazis.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.