Turn on thread page Beta

Liberals please explain why you are.... watch

ReputationRep:
    Canb the liberal TSR population please explain why many liberal people decided to champion the cause of the Tibetan people even attacking the olympic flame yet are ignoring the seperatist movement of the uighurs....

Is my initial analysis that Tibet just happens to be a trendy cause correct? or do you have a real reason why you are not all rallying around the Uighurs cause?

Did Brad Pitt not make this cause cool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Canb the liberal TSR population please explain why many liberal people decided to champion the cause of the Tibetan people even attacking the olympic flame yet are ignoring the seperatist movement of the uighurs....

Is my initial analysis that Tibet just happens to be a trendy cause correct? or do you have a real reason why you are not all rallying around the Uighurs cause?

I think the activities of the Dalai Lama, the association of it with Buddhism as well as the rich cultural traditions there, which made it; the focus of literature and films etc. has simply given it more prominence than the Xinjiang province.

Xinjiang is similar to Tibet in many ways, in the fact that it was conquered by force following WW2 and its native population is being made a minority by the migration of Han Chinese. The separation movements of both places will be made permanently unachievable once they are made small minorities.

There are of course persecuted minorities all over the world which don't recieve much publicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaishan)
    I think the activities of the Dalai Lama, the association of it with Buddhism as well as the rich cultural traditions there, which made it; the focus of literature and films etc. has simply given it more prominence than the Xinjiang province.

Xinjiang is similar to Tibet in many ways, in the fact that it was conquered by force following WW2 and its native population is being made a minority by the migration of Han Chinese. The separation movements of both places will be made permanently unachievable once they are made small minorities.

There are of course persecuted minorities all over the world which don't recieve much publicity.
    So you are confirming that liberals are pretentious idiots who follow the word of morons like Brad Pitt.

Curiously the Dalai Lama is so well respected, i wonder why... He is a guy who is born into his 'leadership' and he spends his time hanging out with celebrities in America....

You're right about buddhism, for some reason this is the favourite religion of liberal people. I have no idea why but for liberals it defiently trumps Islam.

Pretentious racist idiots.... liberal people failing as per usual.

I was really disgusted by the olympic torch debacle. They should have had snipers taking those morons out. Or just let the Chinese crowds lynch them.

ReputationRep:
    So you are confirming that liberals are pretentious idiots who follow the word of morons like Brad Pitt.

Curiously the Dalai Lama is so well respected, i wonder why... He is a guy who is born into his 'leadership' and he spends his time hanging out in America with celebrities....

You're right about buddhism, for some reason this is the favourite religion of lbieral people. I ahve no idea why but it defiently trumps Islam.

Pretentious racist idiots.... liberal people failing as per usual.
    The general public do idolise and are heavily influenced by celebrities, yes. However, the focus on Tibet has existed before Brad Pitt got involved on the subject.

ReputationRep:

When you say liberals do you mean people who are economically liberal, socially liberal or just people you don't like. Because these are three different things.

ReputationRep:
    Tibet is better being a part of China than controlled by the Dalai Lama.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are very misunderstood in your estimation of what a Liberal is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Tibet is better being a part of China than controlled by the Dalai Lama.
    That isn't necessarily what would happen? Don't you believe in the principle of self-determination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaishan)
    That isn't necessarily what would happen? Don't you believe in the principle of self-determination?
    Definitely.

I think Tibet is better off now than it was. I would prefer a westernised Tibet but it doesn't concern me much at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    I think Tibet is better off now than it was. I would prefer a westernised Tibet but it doesn't concern me much at all.
    I'll probably regret this, but why?

ReputationRep:
    You're right about buddhism, for some reason this is the favourite religion of liberal people. I have no idea why but for liberals it defiently trumps Islam.
    Perhaps liberals prefer Buddhism over Islam because Buddhists, unlike Muslims, aren't keen on massacring gay people. Just a suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't champion the Tibetens in that episode and I'm not ignoring the current situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    I'll probably regret this, but why?
    The regime of the Dalai Lama was very brutal and oppressive. More so than the Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have inextricably associated the Tibetan cause with Brad Pitt's penis; thus I believe that supporting Tibetan emancipation will support me right into Brad Pitt's bed.

You got me.

ReputationRep:

trendy cause
    ^ This

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.