Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AWARDS/HOBBIES etc that can be taken up/achieved to make yourself more appealing Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am really depressed at the moment. I want to apply for UCL, however, I will not be able to if I do not stand out from the other candidates.

Can you all please post some things like leadership awards, hobbies, or things that can be done to show that you are outstanding please?

I really need some pointers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolblergh)
    I am really depressed at the moment. I want to apply for UCL, however, I will not be able to if I do not stand out from the other candidates.

Can you all please post some things like leadership awards, hobbies, or things that can be done to show that you are outstanding please?

I really need some pointers
    community service, duke of edinborough, young enterprise, scouting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    community service, duke of edinborough, young enterprise, scouting
    Thank you, if anyone has others I'd really appreciate it. I was thinking of stuff that can be done outside of school, rather than in.

What do you mean by scouting by the way?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Bear in mind though that extra-curriculars really aren't that important to a personal statement. Just listing achievements won't make you stand out unless you can explain what you drew from them and why it makes you a better candidate for an academic course.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, if anyone has others I'd really appreciate it. I was thinking of stuff that can be done outside of school, rather than in.

What do you mean by scouting by the way?
    well if you've been in the scouts and have helped the comminity in some way it usually looks good in a personal statement, its something that is in you're own time and you're giving something back to the community

maybe if you do a sport helping to coach younger children

what subject are you wanting to study, i'm appliying for engineeering and am going to help a local school for disabled students in a engineering related project, so you could do something like that

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    well if you've been in the scouts and have helped the comminity in some way it usually looks good in a personal statement, its something that is in you're own time and you're giving something back to the community

maybe if you do a sport helping to coach younger children

what subject are you wanting to study, i'm appliying for engineeering and am going to help a local school for disabled students in a engineering related project, so you could do something like that

hope this helps
    Ahh, I will inquire

I want to do a degree in French by the way...

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I will inquire

I want to do a degree in French by the way...
    if you have a local primary school maybe assisting in a language lesson or offer to run an after school club for the students or maybe the parents, it would show your commitment and passion for the subject, but also a desire to help others. Uni's should like things like this

i know you said not in school but mentoring younger students in the subject can also look good on an application

reading related books in the language as well defines you as a worthy applicant to the course

ReputationRep:
    GAMING!

Wait, no.....

ReputationRep:
    Contact a local primary school and see if you can set up an after school club in french once a week in september for 6 weeks or similar to teach some basic french to younger children, or assist with french classes in your school at the moment. I don't know how the primary school thing will work as you will need all kind of checks but they may be able to offer you something.

Also try after school clubs that are often connected to primary schools -- may be more practical as you will simply be going in for 30 minutes or so rather than trying to set something up.

They will like that you have passed your knowledge onto other people. Is your french fluent? Perhaps try some voluntery work in France rather than England? Then volunteering in charity shops etc is always going to look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Contact a local primary school and see if you can set up an after school club in french once a week in september for 6 weeks or similar to teach some basic french to younger children, or assist with french classes in your school at the moment. I don't know how the primary school thing will work as you will need all kind of checks but they may be able to offer you something.

Also try after school clubs that are often connected to primary schools -- may be more practical as you will simply be going in for 30 minutes or so rather than trying to set something up.

They will like that you have passed your knowledge onto other people. Is your french fluent? Perhaps try some voluntery work in France rather than England? Then volunteering in charity shops etc is always going to look good.
    Thanks for these, I will be sure to give the primary school thing a try. As for the volunteering in France, I shall see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Bear in mind though that extra-curriculars really aren't that important to a personal statement. Just listing achievements won't make you stand out unless you can explain what you drew from them and why it makes you a better candidate for an academic course.

Thanks... Okay I will bear that in mind

ReputationRep:
    Any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I'd read around your potential subject. Demonstrate why you deserve to study that subject more than others.

ReputationRep:
    Travel? Learn other languages in your own time? Do courses in art or music? Learn to play a new instrument? Do volunteering? Get a job?

ReputationRep:
    When you apply for a french degree, you may start reading frech books and newspapers, get informed about the country- just check out the PS section, there are some pretty good statements which contain a bunch of "extraordinary" qualifications and hobbies.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as someone said extra curricular are really nothing special. I got rubbish GCSE's compared to the people I was competiting with and still got an offer from Warwick. My EC's were just football and something else. Just make sure you write an insightful PS. That's the best way to stand out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.