Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What book relating to Politics are you reading currently? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if it's the right forum but...

I'm working my way through 'The Great European Ripoff', which seems to be good so far. It's shown up a mass up European couruption, and somewhat explained the process of legislation.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Europe.../dp/1847945708

I've just finished 'An appeal to reason - A cool look at Global Warming' by Nigel Lawson which I thought was excellent. It's short at only 100 pages but deals a great blow to those who think that government intervention is the best way to solve climate change, and deals damage to the credibility of man made global warming at all.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Appeal-Reaso.../dp/071563786X

The next book Im going to read is 'The Assault on Liberty' by Dominic Raab. While probably a bit biased since it's from an ardent Conservative supporter it'll be good to see the extent of CCTV cameras and laws restricting liberty and provide some good ammo against their advocates.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Assault-Libe...7240851&sr=1-1

What books are you working through at the moment? :o:

ReputationRep:
    Just finished 'The Audacity of Hope' by Barack Obama.

Starting up on a Clive James collection (not strictly politics, I know) and a JFK biography.

ReputationRep:
    Also reading Audacity of Hope.

Next intend to read 'The Man in the High Castle' - doing Literature/Politics next year so blending the two together.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished reading 'The Plan, Twelve Months to Renew Britain' by Douglas Carswell and Dan Hannan. It's a great book, mainly proposing Localism and certain forms of direct democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Just finished reading 'The Plan, Twelve Months to Renew Britain' by Douglas Carswell and Dan Hannan. It's a great book, mainly proposing Localism and certain forms of direct democracy.
    What, in a nut shell is it proposing that could be achieved through greater Localism and direct democracy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Just finished 'The Audacity of Hope' by Barack Obama.

Starting up on a Clive James collection (not strictly politics, I know) and a JFK biography.
    Is Audacity of Hope any good?

I remember a tonne of people reading it at interview, but I haven't got through it yet.

I'm not much of an Obama fan personally, I think he's overhyped to hell by certain sectors.

I'm reading On Liberty (Again) by Mill

The Threat to Reason by Dan Hind

Government in the future by Noam Chomsky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    Not sure if it's the right forum but...

I'm working my way through 'The Great European Ripoff', which seems to be good so far. It's shown up a mass up European couruption, and somewhat explained the process of legislation.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Europe.../dp/1847945708

I've just finished 'An appeal to reason - A cool look at Global Warming' by Nigel Lawson which I thought was excellent. It's short at only 100 pages but deals a great blow to those who think that government intervention is the best way to solve climate change, and deals damage to the credibility of man made global warming at all.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Appeal-Reaso.../dp/071563786X

The next book Im going to read is 'The Assault on Liberty' by Dominic Raab. While probably a bit biased since it's from an ardent Conservative supporter it'll be good to see the extent of CCTV cameras and laws restricting liberty and provide some good ammo against their advocates.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Assault-Libe...7240851&sr=1-1

What books are you working through at the moment? :o:
    I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing atm.
    I'm not reading any politics/IR related books until the 21st August. Don't want to tempt fate xD

ReputationRep:
    Nothing I working closely with the movers and shakers in the political arena, faster learning curve. However, I do enjoy re-reading 'The Prince.'

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading "the myths of Zionism" by John Rose. Good book lol.

(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Next intend to read 'The Man in the High Castle' - doing Literature/Politics next year so blending the two together.
    Its a good read :yep:

ReputationRep:
    state building by francis fukuyama

ReputationRep:
    "Sacred Causes" by Micheal Burleigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Is Audacity of Hope any good?

I remember a tonne of people reading it at interview, but I haven't got through it yet.
    Well, I think it is good, personally. At times, he sits on the fence too much by conveying two extreme ideologies (the harsh uncaring ones naturally Republican, and the reactionary, argument for the sake of arguing, Democrat) and then offers a pragmatic solution ammounting to a vague concept which makes sense, but may be hard to translate into reality. Having said that, I am an "Obama fan", if not only because of what a mess George Bush made of the public perception of America. At a base level, it's a very well written book, which one can relate to quite easily, I feel, and does give some insight into American politics.

In terms of what I'm reading, I decided, after numerous references to it in another book, to read Jean Jacques Rousseau's "The Social Contract", it's a bit heavy, but it is, so far, well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulman674)
    Well, I think it is good, personally. At times, he sits on the fence too much by conveying two extreme ideologies (the harsh uncaring ones naturally Republican, and the reactionary, argument for the sake of arguing, Democrat) and then offers a pragmatic solution ammounting to a vague concept which makes sense, but may be hard to translate into reality. Having said that, I am an "Obama fan", if not only because of what a mess George Bush made of the public perception of America. At a base level, it's a very well written book, which one can relate to quite easily, I feel, and does give some insight into American politics.

In terms of what I'm reading, I decided, after numerous references to it in another book, to read Jean Jacques Rousseau's "The Social Contract", it's a bit heavy, but it is, so far, well worth it.
    Rousseau isn't heavy compared to some other political philosophers (Hobbes is pretty dense I find, and Nozick proves arguments with mathematics, which isn't my idea of fun).

Tbh, my lack of fandom of Obama stems from the fact that I don't see how he could be different, the fact that his cabinet appointments were the same group of people who led us into the present financial crisis, and because every US President since WW2 has been guilty of crimes that would have got you hanged at Nuremburg, a trend I don't see him bucking if the US carry on in Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    Peter Hitchens' main three.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. I've got about ten politics and international relations books on the reading list for my firm, none of which are stocked by the library.

Not amused.

Just finished reading 'All The Shah's Men' by Stephen Kinzer. Brilliant book, definately recommend it for those that want a crash course in Iranian history before the Islamic Revolution. A lot of focus on the 1953 coup that outsed PM Mohammed Mosaddeq out of power.

I'm now reading 'Safe Area Gorazde' by Joe Sacco, which is a sort of "docu-comic" (if you could call it that) of the 1992-1995 Bosnia War. So far, it's really good.

After that, I'll be reading 'The Open Veins Of Latin America' by Eduardo Galeano, which I got for free with my subscription to the New Statesman. Apparently it's the book that Chavez gave to Obama.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Whats left? : How liberals lost their way.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I just finished The Communist Manifesto (which was a bit of an lolfest tbf, but I would think that) & Hannan/Carswell's The Plan.
    Next up is The Wealth of Nations :heart:

I couldn't even get through the first ten pages of the Audacity of Hope though :o:
    Obama :nn:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.