Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What book relating to Politics are you reading currently? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    Well, I just finished The Communist Manifesto (which was a bit of an lolfest tbf, but I would think that)

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    The Shock Doctrine. It's quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Is Audacity of Hope any good?

I remember a tonne of people reading it at interview, but I haven't got through it yet.

I'm not much of an Obama fan personally, I think he's overhyped to hell by certain sectors.

I'm reading On Liberty (Again) by Mill

The Threat to Reason by Dan Hind

Government in the future by Noam Chomsky
    Is that the sequel? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    :awesome:[/CENTER]
    Hahahaha :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edenr)
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Whats left? : How liberals lost their way.
    Good book.

Him and Christopher Hitchens are the type of leftists I usually agree with more than I disagree with.

ReputationRep:
    The state and revolution by Lenin.

ReputationRep:
    'audacity of hope' by Barack obama. Got it before the election and never got round to reading it. Superbly written, and comes across as a genuinley nice guy who cares deeply about the institutions and responsibilities he serves.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Good book.

Him and Christopher Hitchens are the type of leftists I usually agree with more than I disagree with.
    It certainly is interesting. It has made me question a few of my belifes and even found one or two wanting. I allready said I have had a bit of an ideological shift though.

ReputationRep:
    A History of Modern Britain by Andrew Marr...... sooooo interesting!

ReputationRep:
    "The State We're in"

Mid-90s book which criticises Thatcherism, neo-Liberal economics, unregulated markets, and the formation of agencies. It's spot on, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    "The State We're in"

Mid-90s book which criticises Thatcherism, neo-Liberal economics, unregulated markets, and the formation of agencies. It's spot on, in my opinion.
    Will Hutton is a bit of a tool to be honest, I've read the book myself.

It's good as a critique of the conservative party at the time, and how the party was ran but I don't think it discredits Thatcherism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hebe001)
    I'm reading that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    Will Hutton is a bit of a tool to be honest, I've read the book myself.

It's good as a critique of the conservative party at the time, and how the party was ran but I don't think it discredits Thatcherism.
    It hasn't provided a solid argument against the whole principle of Thatcherism just yet, but it also argues for constitutional change. Would have helped me in my politics exam :laugh: By nature I'm inclined to agree with the dismay at the state of the economy both then and to some extent in the present, and I think some of it is still applicable now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not. I try to spend my summer avoiding my degree tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I thought about reading that, but I don't know if I could stomach his painfully politically correct BBC style.

Whats left? : How liberals lost their way.
    I have a copy if this, but never got round to reading it, worth reading?

Just finished Roger Scruton's the West and the Rest - highly recommended if you want to gain an understanding of the current conflict between the East and West. He examines quite deeply the theological cultural and ideological roots of the crisis, stretching back to antiquity.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Rest-Ro...7315425&sr=8-1

By the same author I have just finished Modern Culture - not so much a purely political book, more a critical analysis of the Western culture (popular, common and high) of our time. Although there is extensive discussion of the decline of bourgeois culture, and two chapters dedicated to the political consequences of Foucault and Derrida's thought. Quite difficult in places, as it is written by a philosopher, and assumes some knowledge of high culture. But well worth the read. Very enlightening.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Cultu...7315751&sr=1-1

Oh yes, and now I'm on to his Political Philosophy: Arguments for Conservatism
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Political-Ph...ref=pd_sim_b_3

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly, most people ITT read books that have a similar political viewpoint to their own. Read something from the other side of the political spectrum - be challenged!

Had enough of political books really. Currently reading mainly policy reports and political magazines. Currently reading a couple of "Reason" magazines (a US-focused libertarian magazine) and "In The Mix", a Fabian Society policy report looking at modern housing policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edenr)
    No, I'm just rereading it because I liked it :p:

(Not that a sequel wouldn't be awesome )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Good book.

Nick Cohen is a Neo-Con moonlighting as a liberal

and Christopher Hitchens seems to be smoking something rather bizarre of late.

Dunno how they qualify as "leftists", Cohen certainly doesn't,

ReputationRep:
    I take it back.

Just started God and the State by Mikhail Bakunin.

I haven't read much anarchist stuff up to now, because my theory is that you should come to your conclusions through your own thought rather than being convinced by the authority of some old dead bloke. It's interesting how much what it says reflects my thought though. jacketpotato is right on this front; I was going to get round to reading something by that horror of horrors Ayn Rand, but I saw the thickness of Atlas Shrugged in the shop and thought, "**** that." I've still got Crime and Punishment to get through.

Anyway, I suppose I do need to read something different.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.