Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    It's just that you said "I'd be happy with 75-100k", which is totally unrealistic for architecture.

I'm not a very materialistic person either, but there does come a point where reality kicks in and working for minimum wage (that's if you can find a job in the first place) after spending thousands of pounds on an extremely long and stressful course seems less appealing.
    Yeah I was just starting to look into Architecture and was curious to the wages. If I didn't do architecture, I was probably going to do photography, money has never really been a factor in deciding want I was going to do. I realise how it might have come across I guess.. but when I said I'd be happy with that much I meant like ecstatically happy =) And as for the minimum wage I will get to that later. I'm not sure I want to be an Architect but I'm sure I want to do an Architecture BA course for now. I'm tough

ReputationRep:
    Lol maybe I should just throw in the towel and go do an Computing course I'd probably earn more and find a job easily :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krow)
    Lol maybe I should just throw in the towel and go do an Computing course I'd probably earn more and find a job easily :/
    I think a fair few archi students do go into 3d game design as the pay in architecture is crap and there aren't the jobs either

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?! I wouldn't mind going into 3d game design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krow)
    Seriously?! I wouldn't mind going into 3d game design.
    yep. virtual architecture. but obviously you need to spend time learning the systems they use. some people in my year have been designing using gaming back end platforms - though i'm not sure why - maybe they want to play counter strike in their new urban realm?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a silly statement "Why are architects all poor?" They aren't poor... like many jobs, there are different scales, but personally all the architects I know are comfortable, if not well off! Nice house, nice cars etc.....for example a director architect is going to earn more than your average architect! also architects can do private work on the side building up a network of clients.

ReputationRep:
    If you take into account the amount of training you go through and the fact that the job stability is very poor, and your average earnings after 10 years, architecture is comparatively very poorly paid. This is not really up for dispute, lily-flower. You are right that there are a lot of older architects who are, say, in their 50s and 60s who are very comfortable, but this is more of a product of their age - anyone who bought property in the 1960s or 1970s will be very well off because what house prices did from 1970-2005.

To go into architecture now for most people will be a bad move financially, in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, If you care more about making money than taking pride in creating beautiful spaces, Architecture is not the career for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_MR)
    In my opinion, If you care more about making money than taking pride in creating beautiful spaces, Architecture is not the career for you.
    ^ This attitude is the reason architects are underpaid. Needless pomposity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    ^ This attitude is the reason architects are underpaid. Needless pomposity.
    It's not pomposity, it is simply acceptance of the fact that the construction industry as a whole is often far too overstretched in terms of budget for projects, and often there are less negotiable fees than the Architect's in my opinion.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Architects are wannabe engineers who can't do maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Architects are wannabe engineers who can't do maths
    Engineers are just people who can't think outside the box
    :aetsch::aetsch:

ReputationRep:
    i know an architect and he's very wealthy. he studied at a disreputable institute in a third world country.

he bought a run down office thing and remade it to a high standard, he's very talented. someone seen it and was very impressed, asked him to design something of his. one referral led to another... now there are a lotta people wanting his services. also has to do with the fact that he's honest and uses high quality material and doesn't rip people off. client satisfaction is key i suppose.

he's self-employed, employs builders and stuff himself, buys the materials... all of that.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by J_MR)
    Engineers are just people who can't think outside the box
    :aetsch::aetsch:
    That's honestly the best joke I heard today😂😂😂

God created engineers, so architects can have heroes too

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  IMG_1673.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  72.8 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.