Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travelling to the US HELP! (ESTA Visa Waiver Scheme) Watch

ReputationRep:
    As of January 2009, the US has adopted a new system for internationals travelling to the US. Instead of applying for a VISA, they can sign up online to the ESTA to allow them travel to the US for up to 90 days.

Im travelling in Aug and applied on this website, which is the website I searched for in google, and was told by others was the website I should be using to apply. I entered all the information and was told my application was successful, and I was allowed travel to the US.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ (the website I used)

However, I looked today and have found two other UK websites. Which charge around £20 for doing this. When the original website charges nothing. When trying to input my application details to check the status on these websites, it is not recognised. But works on the original website I mentioned earlier.

Now my question is. I'm worried that I may have applied on the wrong website and am scared my travelling could be disrupted because of this. Or these other two websites could just be affiliates making a quick buck.

http://www.esta-online.co.uk/ (websites I found today)
    http://www.estauk.com/

Does anyone know if I applied on the right website?

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine the .gov website is the authentic one. The other two are private enterprises basically scamming people.

ReputationRep:
    The one you used looks like the right one. I normally follow the link from the BA website to get there.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, I thought It was, but just wanted to check. Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    also you must have a digital passport or they wont let you in. i was meant to go yesterday but i didnt have a digital passport so ive had to postpone it to next thursday, although i got my digital passport today. and i also applied for my esta using the .gov website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ticktockclock)
    also you must have a digital passport or they wont let you in. i was meant to go yesterday but i didnt have a digital passport so ive had to postpone it to next thursday, although i got my digital passport today. and i also applied for my esta using the .gov website.
    Sorry to hear you had to rearrange. Do you know if you need to take any proof with you? Or is it all just done digitally? Hence needing a digital passport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Sorry to hear you had to rearrange. Do you know if you need to take any proof with you? Or is it all just done digitally? Hence needing a digital passport?
    a digital passport is just like any other pasport but with a fancy name. there are differences though, a digital passport has a chip at the front and the picture is kind of like printed on the passport, which means someone cant swap the picture as you would with any old passport. if you renewed or got your passport post oct 2005 then it should be digital(i think?). you would still need to take your passport with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ticktockclock)
    a digital passport is just like any other pasport but with a fancy name. there are differences though, a digital passport has a chip at the front and the picture is kind of like printed on the passport, which means someone cant swap the picture as you would with any old passport. if you renewed or got your passport post oct 2005 then it should be digital(i think?). you would still need to take your passport with you.
    Yep, I have a digital passport - i mean in regards to the ESTA, do you have to print anything off or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Yep, I have a digital passport - i mean in regards to the ESTA, do you have to print anything off or anything?
    yep, you have to print it then take it with you to show that your application has been approved.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.