Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am struggling between these 2 courses, any advice on which course should I go for?? Did anyone apply for these courses? and What's the usual offer for these courses? Thank you.=)

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for writing.
    I am also coming this year for my Msc information Security .
    When selecting a uni whats matter is uni vs course.
    I applied in 5 uni
    uni of Glasgow,uni of Birmingham,Royal Holloway,University College London,King college

I got offer from all. Now it depends what are preferences. I am international student coming from Pak. For me fees was not a discriminating factor because already fee was in lacks so it doesn't matter what you select coz UCL AND KCL are a bit costly than others.

Now what matters are the course contents. Now in course content round i said that there is not a single info sec course which covers all domain i m currently preparing for cissp so i can tell u there are 10 domains

1) Comp Security
    2) Security Management Practices
    3) Computer Security
    4) Physical Security
    5) Network/Distributed Security
    6) Cryptography
    7) Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning
    8) Application Security
    9) Operation Security
    10) Law,Ethics,Investigation And Cyber Crimes

So dude,There is no single uni which offers all of them. Among all these some modules have easy stuff which u can grasp even with u but modules which must be taught and are highly technical are comp security,network security,crypto,app security
    2 4 7 9 can be done on all

10 module is most interesting but mostly uni don't offer its new . Soon you will see it

In course selection process i filtered UCL AND royal Holloway. There courses included these necessary cores which i mentioned. I dumped Bermingum Glasgow and Kcl in that step. Bermingum and Glasgow were only Comp security not Info . There is a difference its not same. Comp security is an aspect of Info sec. Kings one is not good dude because its not computing security its computing and security. Some of courses are bogus like Norms,Policies. OR computer Languages which are computing courses not security so they are dumped. So in that round I selected Royal Holloway and UCL.

Next and most important factor for me was ranking of university. Royal Holloway comes in top 400 500 its OK. But cmon Ucl is in top 10 15 uni of world in most of ranking. Royal Holloway didnt included some courses some ucl didn't. In term of contents of course i can say that royal Holloway offered more options but worst was that u can only select 2 from 10 optional modules and 4 core total of just 6 courses too less. Ucl has 3 core and 5 options at least we cover 8 courses. So i dumped Royal Holloway and selected UCL.

Applied in it. Got unconditional offer. Applied for accommodation. Got it yesterday.

Course is starting on 27 September. You can still apply. I am info sec guy. My final year project was also in info sec malware detection.

Trust me Dont even compare them UCL Is best in term of course content selection and very excellent ranking. Location wise both KCL AND UCl are near by. Both in heart of central London easy access to every thing,

Courses which i am taking
    -------------------------

Semester 1
    -------------
    Comp security(Core)
    Intro to Crypto(Core)
    Network Security(Optional)
    People and Security(Optional)

Semester 2
    -----------
    Research in Info sec(Core)
    Applied Crypto(Optional)
    Advanced Crypto(Optional)
    Comp security 2(Optional)

Comp security 2 covers many of management concepts.
    So total 3 cores which i mentioned 2 in sem 1 and then in sem 2.
    Among optional list of 7 and has to select 5.
    The one which i selected i have narrated. Dumped just 2 options.

Operating System(Not related to info sec)
    Digital Rights(Only covers patents just dumped this option coz if its name was cyber crimes aur some cyber law forensics would have taken otherwise its not much relevant. The forensic course ucl lacks. U can do research on it in pHd but not in ms)

Last sem is thesis on topic of your choice.

For any more guidance

[email protected]
    [email protected]

Thanks,
    Arkam
    Regards

ReputationRep:
    i goona disagree on the post above, King's College covers the most topics

i looked at ucl they do not do network security module, i think what akram ment is distrubuted systems and secutiy.

kings modules are:

Cryptography and Information Security - covers information side and malwares

Language Based Security - covers application security and information flow and control

Access Control and Privacy Policies - covers access control application and security in general i dont think any other universites does this

Advanced Research Topics

Advanced Security Topics - covers network/ip security, ethichal hacking and peneration testing, physical security

Computer Forensics and Cybercrime - Investigation And Cyber Crimes

IT Law for IT Professionals - it law, ethics etc..

Group Project - reseach project on malware or security and software

plus me being a uk/home student the price difference 4050£ kings compared to 6800£ ucl good factor.

i did my Bsc computer science at ucl.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your advices!=)

(Original post by cybermachi)
    i goona disagree on the post above, King's College covers the most topics

i looked at ucl they do not do network security module, i think what akram ment is distrubuted systems and secutiy.

kings modules are:

Cryptography and Information Security - covers information side and malwares

Language Based Security - covers application security and information flow and control

Access Control and Privacy Policies - covers access control application and security in general i dont think any other universites does this

Advanced Research Topics

Advanced Security Topics - covers network/ip security, ethichal hacking and peneration testing, physical security

Computer Forensics and Cybercrime - Investigation And Cyber Crimes

IT Law for IT Professionals - it law, ethics etc..

Group Project - reseach project on malware or security and software

plus me being a uk/home student the price difference 4050£ kings compared to 6800£ ucl good factor.

i did my Bsc computer science at ucl.

so have u applied for KCL computing and security as well?=)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euniceeee)
    Thank you so much for your advices!=)

so have u applied for KCL computing and security as well?=)
    No, i did apply to Msc thier but for Advanced Software Enginnering,

but my best friend applied for kcl computing and security.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybermachi)
    No, i did apply to Msc thier but for Advanced Software Enginnering,

but my best friend applied for kcl computing and security.
    Is he going for KCL as well?

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

Can you please guide me, which is better in information security KCL or RHUL. please consider the labs facilities as well while explaining.

ReputationRep:
    Go to UCL. They have excellent link with industry and research opportunities:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/secret/homepage

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I just want to check does this major need to face computer everyday and write programs day and night using all kinds of different programming languages?
    Actually, I'm not comp scien guy. My bachelor degree is about electric and control Engineering.
    Some of my modules involved software design and programming. I learned how to write programs using C++. Not just a little bit, we finished the Object-Oriented Programming (Class things). And it turns out that i am quite good at logical things.
    But if this major is all about programming, I think i may go down compared with computer science guy.
    This is all my concern.

Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.