ReputationRep:
    Humanities - English

You know already from my thread but oh well

ReputationRep:
    im goin
    Humanities - law

ReputationRep:
    Im going. Physical science stream or whatever its called

mmm? whats this thing about? and how do u get it in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's basically a short taster course for Year 12s during August

ReputationRep:
    I did it last year and it was a fantastic experience, i was struggling to decide between taking a degree in nursing or one in politics (completely different subjects i know) and after that week i realised politics is clearly for me. I made alot of friends some of which i still keep in touch with, like my friend Marie from Coventry who since meeting her at the AEP has become one of my closest friends, it's like they say, you make your best friends at university and it's a good leg-up. It's definately helpful so should you decide to apply to and get into the university itself, come freshers week you'll already have some people to pal around with.

Prepare yourself to be nackered though, late nights and early mornings. The lectures and taster sessions are very interesting, for the science stream i went to the medical school, did injury theatre make-up, went to a lecture on evolution etc whilst other streams went to the law courts, the theatre and had sessions with high flying businessmen and women.

At night there were various activities including mini-golf, bowling and salsa dancing as well as the formal dinner and disco (a few girl friends in the year below have asked what would be best to wear so i suggested a dress (not a prom dress) just a nice going out one or a skirt and smart top, that's what we all wore last year).

You also learn how a personal statement should be structured and many important tips referring to the UCAS application and the importance of visiting and selecting the right university to go to.

Have a nice time, it's a fantastic week, full of benefits and bonuses, so enjoy yourselves.

ps. Keep your ears open for any information they give you about the A2B scheme, it could results in the standard offer being lowered for you if you complete the scheme and it's modules throughout the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanners17)
    I did it last year and it was a fantastic experience, i was struggling to decide between taking a degree in nursing or one in politics (completely different subjects i know) and after that week i realised politics is clearly for me. I made alot of friends some of which i still keep in touch with, like my friend Marie from Coventry who since meeting her at the AEP has become one of my closest friends, it's like they say, you make your best friends at university and it's a good leg-up. It's definitely helpful so should you decide to apply to and get into the university itself, come freshers week you'll already have some people to pal around with.

Prepare yourself to be nackered though, late nights and early mornings. The lectures and taster sessions are very interesting, for the science stream i went to the medical school, did injury theatre make-up, went to a lecture on evolution etc whilst other streams went to the law courts, the theatre and had sessions with high flying businessmen and women.

At night there were various activities including mini-golf, bowling and salsa dancing as well as the formal dinner and disco (a few girl friends in the year below have asked what would be best to wear so i suggested a dress (not a prom dress) just a nice going out one or a skirt and smart top, that's what we all wore last year).

You also learn how a personal statement should be structured and many important tips referring to the UCAS application and the importance of visiting and selecting the right university to go to.

Have a nice time, it's a fantastic week, full of benefits and bonuses, so enjoy yourselves.

ps. Keep your ears open for any information they give you about the A2B scheme, it could results in the standard offer being lowered for you if you complete the scheme and it's modules throughout the year.

sounds brilliant, its going to start next week, did you put stuff about the AEP in your personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    Technically that sounds like a good idea, particularly as the purpose is to familiriase people from non-academic backgrounds into the idea of university studies.

One thing that seemed odd to me were the subject groupings:

* Humanities – covering Geography, English, History, Drama, Law, Politics
    * Business – Accounting, Economics, Business, International Studies
    * Social Sciences – Social Policy, Public Policy, Social Work, Sociology, Theology, Psychology
    * Physical Sciences – Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Maths
    * Biological and Health Sciences – Physiotherapy, Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Biology, Chemistry

From the point of view of a Politics student, it seems really odd that Politics is not in the same group as Sociology, but is instead lumped together with things like Drama (!!!) and English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    sounds brilliant, its going to start next week, did you put stuff about the AEP in your personal statement?
    No i didn't, you don't want your personal statement to be institution specific unless Birmingham is your firm and insurance choice, other universities won't appreciate you spouting the positives of Birmingham. Say you applied to Birmingham and York, it would make no sense to bring Birmingham into a personal statement that will be sent to York also, if you get my drift?

By all means if you apply to Birmingham as your firm choice if you have been made an offer and want to apply for the A2B scheme to lower the grades then add the AEP into your separate A2B application form but not your personal statement.

Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanners17)
    No i didn't, you don't want your personal statement to be institution specific unless Birmingham is your firm and insurance choice, other universities won't appreciate you spouting the positives of Birmingham. Say you applied to Birmingham and York, it would make no sense to bring Birmingham into a personal statement that will be sent to York also, if you get my drift?

By all means if you apply to Birmingham as your firm choice if you have been made an offer and want to apply for the A2B scheme to lower the grades then add the AEP into your separate A2B application form but not your personal statement.

Does that make sense?
    really,
    but could I not put at a university ? and not B'ham uni

ReputationRep:
    ello
    iv got an A2B offer from birmingham but i presume its not a guaranteed as it says successful completeion of the A2B module required
    how likely is it that u sucessfuly complete?
    and how do i go about compeleting this modules
    can any one help ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueberry123)
    ello
    iv got an A2B offer from birmingham but i presume its not a guaranteed as it says successful completeion of the A2B module required
    how likely is it that u sucessfuly complete?
    and how do i go about compeleting this modules
    can any one help ???
    http://www.undergraduate.bham.ac.uk/...eers/a2b.shtml

ReputationRep:
    :cool: thanks

ReputationRep:
    Im going! I heard its some fun activities than Educational stuff. But im not complaining lol

ReputationRep:
    Practical commentary - I was fascinated by the analysis - Does someone know if I could obtain a sample a form form to type on ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.