The Student Room Group

Muse Society II - Join the Resistance!

Scroll to see replies

Apparant news on the Matt/Gaia situation:
Matthew isn't with Gaia anymore. He sayed that on an interview for the Big Day Out : "when I was in Vegas at a bar, someone took photos of me dancing with a girl and posted it online saying something like "Matt trying to get it on with some girl" and obviously my girlfriend sees it a...nd shes not happy. Wel...l she my ex-girlfriend now" (from the facebook fan page of Floccinaucinihilipilification)
I call ********. People who are engaged don't break up over pictures of someone dancing with someone else

EDIT: oh, theres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOm7VNfCVis
thats a really stupid reason to break up
museobsessed
Apparant news on the Matt/Gaia situation:
Matthew isn't with Gaia anymore. He sayed that on an interview for the Big Day Out : "when I was in Vegas at a bar, someone took photos of me dancing with a girl and posted it online saying something like "Matt trying to get it on with some girl" and obviously my girlfriend sees it a...nd shes not happy. Wel...l she my ex-girlfriend now" (from the facebook fan page of Floccinaucinihilipilification)
I call ********. People who are engaged don't break up over pictures of someone dancing with someone else

EDIT: oh, theres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOm7VNfCVis
thats a really stupid reason to break up

Matt's given a couple of interviews to Q magazine over the past couple of months and he's said they'd hit a rough patch. So maybe this photo was just the final piece.
really? i've not seen them. *needs to buy Q*
just watched the video, weird reaction when he talks about it.
also lol at his thoughts, he goes from variation to genetic variation and inbreeding haha
That's quite sad. Also, i don't think there was any truth in the fact that they were engaged. Just fan rumour.
museobsessed
really? i've not seen them. *needs to buy Q*
just watched the video, weird reaction when he talks about it.
also lol at his thoughts, he goes from variation to genetic variation and inbreeding haha

They were in the big new years one and the one before or after I think. Cos they asked him how he was and he said not too good, and that he'd been having a couple of spats with Gaia
FTR, Hoodoo is one of Muse's worst songs. Black Holes is good but songs like City of Delusion, Soldier's Poem get boring pretty quick and i haven't listened to the album for months. I guess it's a case of many more interesting albums out there! Doesn't make it a bad album, just in the grand scheme of thing it is pretty average like The Resistance and Showbiz. Absolution and OOS were their best 2 efforts but they have fillers on those both 2 sadly.
hothedgehog
That's quite sad. Also, i don't think there was any truth in the fact that they were engaged. Just fan rumour.

they were. He wore his engagement ring on a necklace, its on loads of pictures
EDIT: Although he does always refer to her as his girlfriend not fiancee and when asked in one interview said no yes no maybe ...
Wednesday Bass
They were in the big new years one and the one before or after I think. Cos they asked him how he was and he said not too good, and that he'd been having a couple of spats with Gaia

thats a bit weird to be talking to a music magazine and not keep it private
museobsessed
thats a bit weird to be talking to a music magazine and not keep it private

Yeah, I thought that as well. But I think Matt thought that it was aonly a couple minor arguments about a day before the interview. Because he answered a couple questions about the relationship as well. One of the questions was about the best/worst bits of dating a shrink. And Matt said the best thing is free advice, the worst thing is free advice.
CrazyPyramid
Music that is much more exciting/generally better would include Radiohead, Animal Colletive, most of Pink Floyd's work, Kraftwerk, Joy Division, LCD Soundsystem, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles....

But you've just quoted some of the best bands there have ever been (LCD Soundsystem aside), who are known and loved the world over, and who have had immeasurable influence on the music that's released today. How can you go on a rant about how a band doesn't quite match up to, say, a band where hundred of millions of people - no exaggeration - could name all four members? :confused:

I would agree that a good number of those bands you've listed beat Muse hands down, but you must admit through, looking at what's currently out there it it's such a relief that at least one decent band can compete in the charts...

benmh92
FTR, Hoodoo is one of Muse's worst songs. Black Holes is good but songs like City of Delusion, Soldier's Poem get boring pretty quick and i haven't listened to the album for months. I guess it's a case of many more interesting albums out there! Doesn't make it a bad album, just in the grand scheme of thing it is pretty average like The Resistance and Showbiz. Absolution and OOS were their best 2 efforts but they have fillers on those both 2 sadly.

Oh my GOD I was just starting to like you. Seriously stop talking as if your opinion is GODLY FACT. Try replacing "FTR" with "IMO" every so often, we may actually take you seriously then.

Also, I question why you frequently post in here if you apparently don't rate any of their albums highly. I wouldn't rate an album highly if IN MY OPINION it had filler tracks :p:

---

I think we should move on from debate. Muse release such diverse stuff that they're always going to divide people. But you're ALL WRONG :p:

I don't get how relationships work when you're going to be on world tours every few years. Must take one helluva toll when he's in a different far-flung country every day. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Also sounds like Matt is a bit of a kinky swine :p:
JohnnySPal
But you've just quoted some of the best bands there have ever been (LCD Soundsystem aside), who are known and loved the world over, and who have had immeasurable influence on the music that's released today. How can you go on a rant about how a band doesn't quite match up to, say, a band where hundred of millions of people - no exaggeration - could name all four members? :confused:

I would agree that a good number of those bands you've listed beat Muse hands down, but you must admit through, looking at what's currently out there it it's such a relief that at least one decent band can compete in the charts...

Oh my GOD I was just starting to like you. Seriously stop talking as if your opinion is GODLY FACT. Try replacing "FTR" with "IMO" every so often, we may actually take you seriously then.

Also, I question why you frequently post in here if you apparently don't rate any of their albums highly. I wouldn't rate an album highly if it had filler tracks :p:

---

I think we should move on from debate. Muse release such diverse stuff that they're always going to divide people. But you're ALL WRONG :p:

I don't get how relationships work when you're going to be on world tours every few years. Must take one helluva toll when he's in a different far-flung country every day. I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Also sounds like Matt is a bit of a kinky swine :p:

I don't care if you were starting to like me lol, you're jsut another person from the web. I was stating my opinion like you have done by saying how godly BHAR was so don't understand your moan :p: It's obv my opinion ultimately. I've liked Muse a lot since i started "liking" music, the band is highly talented nd some songs are brilliant but some songs are too filler-esque, which means they aren't bad but not great. Their b sides are great. Still one of the best bands of this age but i'm a critic first and foremost when i talk about music lol and i do try to find faults in music ultimately too much!
Wednesday Bass
I'd like to do the same, but I wouldn't be able to do the piano part. I can't coordinate my hands on a piano like I can on guitar.

The new album is largely based off 1984 (a fantastic book I have to say) and Uprising, Resistance, United States of Eurasia, Unnatual Select and MK Ultra are all based from it.

Hark back to progressive rock? Progressive rock is still going strong these days - listen to Dream Theaters new album, Yes and Rush are very much still active. I don't see how you can hark back to progressive rock when it's still going strong. Muse implement so many different aspects into their music - acoustic, orchestral, progressive, rock, etc. - that it does make it exciting to listen to and to watch. New Born, Knight of Cydonia, Invincible all give me chills when I listen to either the studio version or a live version.

Question is, if Muse's music is so boring and their lyrics so mundain, why do you listen to them and why are you here?

And yes, Citizen Erased is an epic song.

And on a lighter note, I've just finished learning the solo to invincible - that suckers difficult!

Progressive rock isn't nearly as prominent as it was in the 70s though.

1984 is a masterpiece but the way Muse deal with that sort of theme is painfully immature (UNITED STATES! UNITED STAAAATES!) They implement many different styles but they usually do so in an incredibly haphazard way that just comes off as a piece of gimmickry. In case you really didn't get my point I don't think all their music is mundane, but generally the more recent stuff is dull and their inventive flair has been replaced by gimmicks and attention grabbing lyrics. Their live set is still awesome though.

I don't hate Muse and they are by no means bad, they are just very overrated.

This explains what I mean quite well

As does this
I tend to agree with the above. Though once you've listened to anything decent a few times you generally will start to really enjoy it which is basically what i did with their recent 2 albums which i didn't like at first and especially Uprising and USOE which i couldn't stand at first but managed to grow on me. Though now i haven't listened to both for a while they have gone back down the pedestal. I do think the band have a lot more potential than they are showing, just the ideas aren't getting out like they need to be and it's getting mixed and jumbled and so they aren't reaching their potential which their were getting towards with OOS and Absolution. I hope they can reach that but i'm not sure if they can. Live they are as aweosme as ever i'm told, i need to get tickets to see them, just hope their studio stuff can get back on track as together they're a great bunch of musicians!
JohnnySPal

Fair point, fair point. If you want to say it's so obvious that Led Zeppelin are better that it's not worth pointing out, then I'm with you. That's just the impression that I get from Muse fans, that they think they are one of the greatest bands ever when they're just not. Lesser known bands I would say are considerably better then:

Battles (Muse fans should probably check these out actually), Grizzly Bear, Broadcast, Animal Collective, Portishead, Hot Chip, The xx, Air....

I would love to see the day when Muse make a record as good as Origin Of Symmetry again. I should point out I would mean better to mean more consistent, as Origin easily stands up against anything those bands have put out.
CrazyPyramid
Fair point, fair point. If you want to say it's so obvious that Led Zeppelin are better that it's not worth pointing out, then I'm with you. That's just the impression that I get from Muse fans, that they think they are one of the greatest bands ever when they're just not. Lesser known bands I would say are considerably better then:

Battles (Muse fans should probably check these out actually), Grizzly Bear, Broadcast, Animal Collective, Portishead, Hot Chip, The xx, Air....

I would love to see the day when Muse make a record as good as Origin Of Symmetry again. I should point out I would mean better to mean more consistent, as Origin easily stands up against anything those bands have put out.

But they are all very very different to Muse as such, well Air are and Air i would class as one of my favourite 5 bands (duo whatever) as Moon Safari is one of the most perfect albums created. I'm surprised you mention Hot Chip. I don't mind them and their live set looks quite cool but i wouldn't say they're that good putting them alongside all the others and The xx too bored me apart from one of their songs which i thought was quite good.

I would echo one point put back that i read from johnny that it's nice to see at least some decent band in the charts as there isn't much to shout home about these days if you're looking for a good rock band. I mean look how crap KoL have become in the charts now. It's nice to see people who don't listen to much music say they like Muse like my young bro for example who listens to a lot of rubbish but Muse are at least a lot better than a lot of it!
JohnnySPal

I know shes gone with him on a few tours, I dunno, I think long distance can work and they do go back home. You almost never see Chris because of it (though granted him and matt do stay)
hehe Matt is def a kinky swine but as for cheating? I dunno. I think he really is in love
benmh92
But they are all very very different to Muse as such, well Air are and Air i would class as one of my favourite 5 bands (duo whatever) as Moon Safari is one of the most perfect albums created. I'm surprised you mention Hot Chip. I don't mind them and their live set looks quite cool but i wouldn't say they're that good putting them alongside all the others and The xx too bored me apart from one of their songs which i thought was quite good.

I would echo one point put back that i read from johnny that it's nice to see at least some decent band in the charts as there isn't much to shout home about these days if you're looking for a good rock band. I mean look how crap KoL have become in the charts now. It's nice to see people who don't listen to much music say they like Muse like my young bro for example who listens to a lot of rubbish but Muse are at least a lot better than a lot of it!

Well yeah they're different but..... they're still better. That's one thing Muse still have going, nobody else sounds quite like them. I can see why people wouldn't like Hot Chip but they have incredibly clever lyrics 'And I Was A Boy From School/Helplessly helping all the rules'. Kings Of Leon are fairly bad I agree (even they said Use Somebody has begun to annoy them), and I would sooner see Muse then most chart music get more popular. But does that really sound like much of a compliment to Muse, that they are better than the **** that gets in the charts?

Moon Safari is bloody lovely. Shame they never quite reached that height again, though they came pretty close with Talkie Walkie.
I've read interviews where Matt said that Gaia went along as a stylist on some tours.
hothedgehog
I've read interviews where Matt said that Gaia went along as a stylist on some tours.

yeh me too. thats what I was refering to above

I'm getting bored of this Muse debate
CrazyPyramid
Well yeah they're different but..... they're still better. That's one thing Muse still have going, nobody else sounds quite like them. I can see why people wouldn't like Hot Chip but they have incredibly clever lyrics 'And I Was A Boy From School/Helplessly helping all the rules'. Kings Of Leon are fairly bad I agree (even they said Use Somebody has begun to annoy them), and I would sooner see Muse then most chart music get more popular. But does that really sound like much of a compliment to Muse, that they are better than the **** that gets in the charts?

Moon Safari is bloody lovely. Shame they never quite reached that height again, though they came pretty close with Talkie Walkie.

Not surprised. Use Somebody was probably one of the worst tracks i've heard in the past couple of years. Most chart music beats it in terms of bearability and quality surpasses it too with a lot even.

I agree. Mike Mills and Surfing on a Rocket are just classics and just amazing to chill too. But as an album doesn't quite trump Moon Safari as hasn't that perfect edge to it!

And i will give Hot Chip another go. I didn't mind them from what i have heard but will give them another shot!

museobsessed, how can you muse (hehe) about Matt being in love when you have actually never seen them together?

Quick Reply

Latest