Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyPyramid)
    Well yeah they're different but..... they're still better. That's one thing Muse still have going, nobody else sounds quite like them. I can see why people wouldn't like Hot Chip but they have incredibly clever lyrics 'And I Was A Boy From School/Helplessly helping all the rules'. Kings Of Leon are fairly bad I agree (even they said Use Somebody has begun to annoy them), and I would sooner see Muse then most chart music get more popular. But does that really sound like much of a compliment to Muse, that they are better than the **** that gets in the charts?

Moon Safari is bloody lovely. Shame they never quite reached that height again, though they came pretty close with Talkie Walkie.
    Not surprised. Use Somebody was probably one of the worst tracks i've heard in the past couple of years. Most chart music beats it in terms of bearability and quality surpasses it too with a lot even.

I agree. Mike Mills and Surfing on a Rocket are just classics and just amazing to chill too. But as an album doesn't quite trump Moon Safari as hasn't that perfect edge to it!

And i will give Hot Chip another go. I didn't mind them from what i have heard but will give them another shot!

museobsessed, how can you muse (hehe) about Matt being in love when you have actually never seen them together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    museobsessed, how can you muse (hehe) about Matt being in love when you have actually never seen them together?
    because I saw an interview where he said shes "the one" and various other interviews where he says how much in love he is. hes dedicated songs to her (starlight and undisclosed desires being the examples I know). he buys her presents from tours she doesn't come on, and i'm pretty sure they are engaged as hes been wearing what looks like an engagement ring on a necklace for a while now and that started when people were saying they'd got engaged. They met in 2001, thats 9 years now, you don't have a casual relationship for 9 years. I'd say thats as good a reason to think that as any. What more do you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    true but some of their earlier ones (Jimmy Kane, Twin etc) are pretty crap.
    Twin is not a bad B-side.

ReputationRep:
    Not surprised. Use Somebody was probably one of the worst tracks i've heard in the past couple of years. Most chart music beats it in terms of bearability and quality surpasses it too with a lot even.

I agree. Mike Mills and Surfing on a Rocket are just classics and just amazing to chill too. But as an album doesn't quite trump Moon Safari as hasn't that perfect edge to it!

And i will give Hot Chip another go. I didn't mind them from what i have heard but will give them another shot!

I'll give you some Pos rep when the timer on mine runs out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    Twin is not a bad B-side.
    Meh, i don't like it much! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by museobsessed)
    because I saw an interview where he said shes "the one" and various other interviews where he says how much in love he is. hes dedicated songs to her (starlight and undisclosed desires being the examples I know). he buys her presents from tours she doesn't come on, and i'm pretty sure they are engaged as hes been wearing what looks like an engagement ring on a necklace for a while now and that started when people were saying they'd got engaged. They met in 2001, thats 9 years now, you don't have a casual relationship for 9 years. I'd say thats as good a reason to think that as any. What more do you want?
    i was only wondering, as i don't really follow what they do outside of music!

ReputationRep:
    i was only wondering, as i don't really follow what they do outside of music!
    fair enough, there you go question answered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnySPal)
    They're shi'ite if you ask me, but I can see why others like them. I just do not get them. I'm almost saddened by it

Which album would you suggest is the best to get into? I may give them another shot.

Absolute radio are playing The Beatles; and are about to play AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd and brand new Muse. Best line-up ever :love:

EDIT: They're actually now playing that weird R'n'B track by ... *Googling lyrics...* Owl City. Sod thatttttt, liars
    I wouldn't start with an album, I'll link you to two songs, see if you like them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ii8m1jgn_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMA33Bs3zAk

It may sound quite depressing, you probably have to be in a certain mood to like it.

Like all them bands you've put down. Good taste :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnySPal)
    Supermassive Black Hole, Map of the Problematique, Assassin, Exo-Politics, City of Delusion, Hoodoo and Knights of Cydonia (and Glorious).

Need I say more?

:mfing:
    Don't forget Soldier's Poem! And you can't help but like that riff in Invincible.

ReputationRep:
    Fair point, fair point. If you want to say it's so obvious that Led Zeppelin are better that it's not worth pointing out, then I'm with you. That's just the impression that I get from Muse fans, that they think they are one of the greatest bands ever when they're just not. Lesser known bands I would say are considerably better then:

Battles (Muse fans should probably check these out actually), Grizzly Bear, Broadcast, Animal Collective, Portishead, Hot Chip, The xx, Air....

I would love to see the day when Muse make a record as good as Origin Of Symmetry again. I should point out I would mean better to mean more consistent, as Origin easily stands up against anything those bands have put out.
    Hot Chip better than Muse?! I mean, I like Hot Chip, but come on, I don't think I can take you seriously.

In terms of talent, where would you rank Muse amongst all the bands that have emerged from the 00's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    Hot Chip better than Muse?! I mean, I like Hot Chip, but come on, I don't think I can take you seriously.

In terms of talent, where would you rank Muse amongst all the bands that have emerged from the 00's?
    Hot Chip are at least more consistent. I would rank their albums better than BHAR and The Resistance. But then I would rank Origin and maybe Absolution above Hot Chips work. Amongst all the bands? I really couldn't say. I think they have much potential and Matt Bellamy is obviously a very talented instrumentalist, just lately they have favoured gimmickry and bombast over writing great music. If they're fine with that then great for them but personally I would like to see the Muse of old back.

ReputationRep:
    Hot Chip are at least more consistent. I would rank their albums better than BHAR and The Resistance. But then I would rank Origin and maybe Absolution above Hot Chips work. Amongst all the bands? I really couldn't say. I think they have much potential and Matt Bellamy is obviously a very talented instrumentalist, just lately they have favoured gimmickry and bombast over writing great music. If they're fine with that then great for them but personally I would like to see the Muse of old back.
    Consistent? But surely expanding your horizons, taking your abilities as far as they can go, seeing the variety of music you can perform is a sign of how talented a band is? I think that is what Muse have been doing, rather than trying to sound more 'radio friendly' as you think.

I do rate Origin of Symmetry and Absolution very highly, but I also like the albums you've just criticised. In their last two albums you get almost everything there is to do in music. The Resistance for example is mainly a bonding of rock and classical influences but surrounding that you have songs like Uprising, Undisclosed Desires etc, where you see the use of synths and r'n'b. I definitely don't think them two songs are their but they show what Muse can do. It isn't a sign of what is to come in the future, more like a statement of how talented Muse are and how far their talents can reach; beyond lots of genres and styles. You never know, we may be treated to some bhangra and reggae in their next albums! :p:

I think after 10 albums (if they produce that many), the bedrock of their style would be Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Hullaballoo, various songs from BHAR and TR with a few sprinklings of different stuff, like the 'bombastic' stuff you refer to, just to show how talented and flexible they were.

All in all, there is no 'old Muse' imo. Their style runs like a string throughout their entire work. I think you may have been strictly focusing on songs like Undisclosed Desires, Starlight etc. Do you not like MK Ultra or Unnatural Selection?

I've only listened to a tip of the iceberg of music that has been around in the last decade. I could certainly listen to a lot more bands but me being lazy, I stick to a few select bands. But from what I've heard, The Killers are my favourite band of the decade with Muse a close second. But in terms of talent, I would say Muse would be a clear winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    Consistent? But surely expanding your horizons, taking your abilities as far as they can go, seeing the variety of music you can perform is a sign of how talented a band is? I think that is what Muse have been doing, rather than trying to sound more 'radio friendly' as you think.

I do rate Origin of Symmetry and Absolution very highly, but I also like the albums you've just criticised. In their last two albums you get almost everything there is to do in music. The Resistance for example is mainly a bonding of rock and classical influences but surrounding that you have songs like Uprising, Undisclosed Desires etc, where you see the use of synths and r'n'b. I definitely don't think them two songs are their but they show what Muse can do. It isn't a sign of what is to come in the future, more like a statement of how talented Muse are and how far their talents can reach; beyond lots of genres and styles. You never know, we may be treated to some bhangra and reggae in their next albums! :p:

I think after 10 albums (if they produce that many), the bedrock of their style would be Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Hullaballoo, various songs from BHAR and TR with a few sprinklings of different stuff, like the 'bombastic' stuff you refer to, just to show how talented and flexible they were.

All in all, there is no 'old Muse' imo. Their style runs like a string throughout their entire work. I think you may have been strictly focusing on songs like Undisclosed Desires, Starlight etc. Do you not like MK Ultra or Unnatural Selection?

I've only listened to a tip of the iceberg of music that has been around in the last decade. I could certainly listen to a lot more bands but me being lazy, I stick to a few select bands. But from what I've heard, The Killers are my favourite band of the decade with Muse a close second. But in terms of talent, I would say Muse would be a clear winner.

Just because they tried new things and found new influences doesn't mean they did it particularly well. Oh the use of synthesisers. How boundary pushing of them. Incorporating all those different styles into one album doesn't necessarily make for a good one and on Black Holes in particular, nothing about the album flows. It tends to be one undercooked idea with another. In a way I guess they haven't really changed that much. Blending lots of genres and styles doesn't prove their talents if they do so in such a dull way, if anything it proves their capacity for mediocre songs. Both of the two recent albums have excellent moments on them but overall, they don't work as albums as well as Origin or Absolution.

The Killers are just incredibly dull though. If you're used to them then Muse would seem like the absolute gods of music, even with the stuff they put out at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Just because they tried new things and found new influences doesn't mean they did it particularly well. Oh the use of synthesisers. How boundary pushing of them. Incorporating all those different styles into one album doesn't necessarily make for a good one and on Black Holes in particular, nothing about the album flows. It tends to be one undercooked idea with another. In a way I guess they haven't really changed that much. Blending lots of genres and styles doesn't prove their talents if they do so in such a dull way, if anything it proves their capacity for mediocre songs. Both of the two recent albums have excellent moments on them but overall, they don't work as albums as well as Origin or Absolution.

The Killers are just incredibly dull though. If you're used to them then Muse would seem like the absolute gods of music, even with the stuff they put out at the moment.
    The thing is, I've probably listened to a lot of the bands you think are 'great'. Who do you like from the last decade and I'll tell you whether I like them.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of people here miss the point! Muse are having fun and the jokes on you. They've stated in interviews that alot of people take them way too seriously when its meant to be silly and fun. Stop making yourselves look like idiots when they clearly don't give a ****, you're meant to laugh when you hear songs like USoE

ReputationRep:
    How the actual fook did The Killers become popular? Come on now, they're actually awful. Actually. I don't think the first album was bad as such, but to me it sounds like they ran out of ideas after four songs and decided to make a load of complete ******** up. I cannot see what people are buying into; usually I can at least appreciate why people would like a band that I don't, but with them... Urgh.

http://www.elyricsworld.com/human_ly...e_killers.html

The lyrics to Human make Chris Martin look like William feckin' Wordsworth. Are we human or are we dancer? Well Brandon ****, I don't know; what I do know though is that you're a complete bona fide spakker if you think that question makes any sense what-so-ever. GOD. Seven monkeys with seven typewriters could write better stuff in 23 minutes.

</ :rant: >

:yawn: All this Muse debate. :sigh:

Why can't people just get along....:moon:

ReputationRep:
    come on we all know, Killers are not as good as muse, the difference in skill between the two bands is unmeasurable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    I wouldn't start with an album, I'll link you to two songs, see if you like them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ii8m1jgn_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMA33Bs3zAk

It may sound quite depressing, you probably have to be in a certain mood to like it.

Like all them bands you've put down. Good taste :yep:
    Yeah I figured I'd get Love Will Tear Us Apart in there!

Joy Division remind me of so many other bands (a good indication of how much they're loved, I'm thinking), but they especially remind me of Editors and Interpol. Thing is, I don't like any of the bands they remind me of either, especially those two :o:

ReputationRep:

Couldn't put it better myself, it doesn't flow like an album should, the blending of genres doesn't make a band particularly good because it doesn't go together well in the resistance anyway.

Ftr, I am with Tkay and that The Killers are one of the few modern bands which tend to bring controversy (in the way it stirs up reactions of either dislike or really like) that i like because there are so many i bloody hate like Coldplay (the meaning of monotuous and boring music for me). I think Hot Fuss and Sam's Town are awesome albums in their own right and whilst i don't listen to them that much now i still rate them pretty highly. Day & Age is dull generally though yep whilst Sawdust is a really nice collection of songs. Obviously they aren't the most talented band ever but i enjoy listening to them, and that's what music is about ini, when you enjoy listening to it is basically what you want. I mean the perfect Zeppelin and Floyd are my favourite bands but it doesn't put me off listening to them and enjoying it.

Back to the point about Muse, they are all really good musicians (matt a great pianist and guitarist, the drummer and bassists top notch too), but i think their musical ideas are currently mixed up and lacking direction. I think they will sort this out some point but i hope they can sort it quick because only the big fans will enjoy current stuff, because let's face it after listening to the same thing 15 times over you will start to like it if you didn't at first... Either way Muse sure are a talented band but Animal Collective, Radiohead, TV On The Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Feeder (maybe), The Shins, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater are all bands around now i think are better and more consistent, some better than each other admittedly too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.