Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Alt)
    Die hard fanboy who gets dissapointed when their band goes more mainstream, and spends most of his time telling everyone that "they knew them before they were famous" and that "they were so much better in the earlier albums" :P c.f. Pendulum, Kings Of Leon fans as I mentioned above.

Not an accusation, just a judge of character :P In terms of enjoying muse you're doing better than me, anyway
    I'm not a diehard fanboy at all... I don't even own a muse album, let alone the fact I've never seen them live.

There are thousands of bands out there, that you probably haven't heard of, who are and always were infinitely better than muse.

Matt Bellamy has always been a tw*t and never that good a guitarist, especially compared to someone like John Petrucci.

I didn't know them before they were famous.

I know what I consider to be good music, and their first few albums fall into that category.

Thing is, though, they've lost all their metal and classical influence- which were the 2 things that made them refreshingly new in the world of increasingly samey chart music. Think 'Stockholm Syndrome'. That's heavier than a fair bit of metal, and they were selling out stadiums with this, with a metal-hating population. Now they're just like many other bands really- i.e. they've sold out to cater to what the majority seem to want, by playing generic pop-'rock'.

And to be anything like any significant chunk of chart music is definitely not a good thing.

/end of rant :P

ReputationRep:
    ta to whoever neg repped me. the pics were in a spoiler tab :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    I'm not a diehard fanboy at all... I don't even own a muse album, let alone the fact I've never seen them live.

There are thousands of bands out there, that you probably haven't heard of, who are and always were infinitely better than muse.

Matt Bellamy has always been a tw*t and never that good a guitarist, especially compared to someone like John Petrucci.

I didn't know them before they were famous.

I know what I consider to be good music, and their first few albums fall into that category.

Thing is, though, they've lost all their metal and classical influence- which were the 2 things that made them refreshingly new in the world of increasingly samey chart music. Think 'Stockholm Syndrome'. That's heavier than a fair bit of metal, and they were selling out stadiums with this, with a metal-hating population. Now they're just like many other bands really- i.e. they've sold out to cater to what the majority seem to want, by playing generic pop-'rock'.

And to be anything like any significant chunk of chart music is definitely not a good thing.

/end of rant :P
    Haha, didn't mean to induce that! :P I would disagree with the last statement, chart music is what it is because it can be enjoyed by large numbers of people. There are many talented songwriters in mainstream music whose work goes unknown as all credit goes to those who sing them. To be fair these songwriters probably go home and produce "real music" with their own group anyway :P

If I may ask, what do you consider to be good music?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaytee.)
    ta to whoever neg repped me. the pics were in a spoiler tab :rolleyes:
    I got negged today too Bad times

ReputationRep:
    I got negged today too Bad times
    :confused:
    and if it was because I mentioned citizen erased being played, they can all do one cos they won't play it at Wembley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaytee.)
    :confused:
    and if it was because I mentioned citizen erased being played, they can all do one cos they won't play it at Wembley
    For this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post27466570.

People take their live stuff pretty seriously dont they

ReputationRep:
    Yes, die hard fans who can't handle their style changing slightly.

I wasn't attempting to troll or anything. In fact I think I've proved that if you engage me in a decent response I will happily reply with a reasonable response.

But all I really read in your post is "rararara fanboy fanboy crap"
    Oh fair play, we get such a lot of trolling in here that I honestly thought you were doing it but I will now dignify you with an actually good response seeing as it was a valid question!

In my personal opinion, I prefer muse's older stuff. That's just my taste in music. I got absolution in a sale in 2005 because it had a cool cover and was only a few pounds and found that it was a great album once I'd listened to it. I, at that point, had never heard of muse or any of their music, and as far as I was aware, they weren't a big band. I went digging and found Origin of Symmetry and that was for me, a better album than Absolution, but it was due to my love of Rachmaninoff. I really really enjoyed the Rachmaninoff references that Bellamy used towards the start of the album. I also got Showbiz, and although it's a solid album, you can tell it's their first album - it doesn't really live up to what followed it! I was a solid muse fan by the time Black Holes came out and I found that my like of it went down over time and and then realise that I liked it in the first place because it was new Muse material. I don't really like much of it now apart from City of Delusion and Hoodoo. I find Knights boring live now, I wish they'd stop using it to close sets because there's nothing very sparky about it, nothing which makes me want to jump around like a loon even though I've run out of energy and just need to sleep. I never really liked the poppy direction they took with Invincible and Starlight but that's because I don't really like pop music. With The Resistance, on first listening it was OK and now it's just getting worse and worse. In fact, if I choose to listen to it (which is rare) I'll skip through Uprising to Guiding Light to Unnatural selection because they are just really boring. The whole of Uprising is repetitive and boring, Resistance is alright but again, a bit long. It's unlucky that Undisclosed Desires is in the middle of that because it's just too much effort to skip from afterwards when you get USoE afterwards which is just madness on CD. It sounds fine live because it's just so stupidly bombastic but I just can't be coping with it on CD! I'm not even going to mention Guiding Light which is just horrific. Unnatural selection is great live and on the CD so that gets a thumbs up, as is MK Ultra (I saw the world premier of that, it was EPIC!) and I Belong To You I have a soft spot for because of the bass clarinet solo! Exogenesis is quite a disappointment for me because of the hype it got. I thought that the orchestration of it was poor. So, of an album with 11 tracks, only 4 are worth listening to. Not great really.

Anyway, that turned into a bit of an over review of muse's work. I didn't mean to, but my point really is that I listen to lots of different types of music and honestly dislike The Resistance because I think it's not very good, not because of its change in style (because if you look at it, Muse have changed their style for every album, whilst still keeping some underlying Museyness).

Anyway, in response to your initial comment, I think muse are a very polarising band. Generally people love or hate muse, hence why you'll find so many 'die hard fans', but I definitely wouldn't say that everyone in the UK likes them, I know a lot of people that don't. I also know a lot of people who love Black Holes the most out of all muse albums and that's because at the end of the day, it's a personal taste in music and everyone likes different things.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, didn't mean to induce that! :P I would disagree with the last statement, chart music is what it is because it can be enjoyed by large numbers of people. There are many talented songwriters in mainstream music whose work goes unknown as all credit goes to those who sing them. To be fair these songwriters probably go home and produce "real music" with their own group anyway :P

If I may ask, what do you consider to be good music?
    Heh, interesting you say that, because the frontman of a band I quite like (called Frost*, and let's be honest, how many people have heard of them), wrote 'Whole Again' for Atomic Kitten.

Anyway, yeah. Music i consider good is pretty varied. Specifically progressive metal, progressive rock, romantic classical, some baroque, death metal, thrash metal, power metal, alternative metal (some) alternative rock, jazz, etc. Dream Theater, Opeth, Gustav Mahler, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Shostakovich, Oscar Peterson, Bloodbath, Epica, Megadeth, Tool... that kind of thing.

Basically stuff that isn't manufactured, frankly talentless music which only makes it into the charts because it has a catchy tune, and is soon forgotten about when it falls out of the top 40. I listen to full albums. In fact one of my favourite songs lasts 78 minutes.

Back to the point... muse's 'Absolution' falls into the progressive alternative rock/metal genre, to be specific. Which is why I consider it good music :P

you say that 'The Resistance is their only good album. So, out of interest, what do you consider good music??

ReputationRep:
    Absolution trod the line pretty well I think. For god's sake, it has stuff like Endlessly or Time is Running Out on the same album as Ruled by Secrecy and stuff like Stockholm Syndrome/Fury (seriously Fury is absolutely amazing even if its riff is very similar to Climbing Up The Walls by Radiohead). It wasn't some kind of prog masterpiece though. It's not really that progressive outside of the mix of genres, theres no eclectic long instrumental parts (Butterflies and Hurricanes excluded) or complex time signature shifts. And theres literally 3 "metal" songs on the album, one of which is the aforementioned Fury which wasn't even on the non-Japanese release :P

Well, I don't know about "enough" I have 5 muse albums that an enthusiastic friend leant me. I have listened to each once, which is perhaps more variety than some people who claim to be into Muse have listened to. I've listened to the resistance two or three times iirc, the rest only once. Obviously there are other tracks I pick out to listen to occasionally. Knights of Cydonia is an amazing track, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I'ma huge fan of Aha Shake Heartbreak too! Four Kicks, Day Old Blues, Milk, The Bucket, King Of The Rodeo, Slow Night So Long.

Wishy-wash is good. I get what you're trying to say, and agree, at least
    The rest only once? Hmm :holmes: Well, certainly give Absolution the time of day that you gave The Resistance. I'll be honest, I didn't think it was special the first time I listened to it but after a few plays I really appreciated it. Try not to have it 'just on in the background' and certainly listen to the songs and music being played. Don't go into it thinking 'impress me Muse,' listen to it as if it'll be one of the only albums you'll only be able to listen to again. Also take into account the year it came out and what other music was being to listened to around then. It's brilliantly crafted and in some ways can sum up Muse. There's a great deal of variety in there and it's appealing. I least hope it would go some way to convince you that The Resistance is not their best album. Many would argue that Origin of Symmetry is better than Absolution and that's just another opinion to hold. I can see why people choose to hold that view.

And for the record, I think The Bucket and Milk are the stand-out records from that album, which is an achievement in itself. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehuty^)
    .....pics? :awesome:
    I found it!

around 1:17 Matt unzips him :p:

oh and to those neg reppers
    SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    Heh, interesting you say that, because the frontman of a band I quite like (called Frost*, and let's be honest, how many people have heard of them), wrote 'Whole Again' for Atomic Kitten.

Anyway, yeah. Music i consider good is pretty varied. Specifically progressive metal, progressive rock, romantic classical, some baroque, death metal, thrash metal, power metal, alternative metal (some) alternative rock, jazz, etc. Dream Theater, Opeth, Gustav Mahler, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Shostakovich, Oscar Peterson, Bloodbath, Epica, Megadeth, Tool... that kind of thing.

Basically stuff that isn't manufactured, frankly talentless music which only makes it into the charts because it has a catchy tune, and is soon forgotten about when it falls out of the top 40. I listen to full albums. In fact one of my favourite songs lasts 78 minutes.

Back to the point... muse's 'Absolution' falls into the progressive alternative rock/metal genre, to be specific. Which is why I consider it good music :P

you say that 'The Resistance is their only good album. So, out of interest, what do you consider good music??
    It seems we intersect at perhaps Power Metal and Alt. Rock, and that's about it. Most of what I listen to is electronic music, so ranging from dance through techno, possibly trance but it's a bit gay. Drum and Bass (although I have to be a bit careful how i qualify that, mostly laid-back drum and bass, think Hold Your Colour if you've heard that, but I try to avoid liquid Drum and Bass.) I tend to prefer slower stuff to hyped up stuff, but I have some punk-rock, some rap metal so I mix that around a bit too. It's electronica where my heart really lies. Crystal Castles are my favourite group by quite a long way.

I have some fairly mainstream soft-ish rock and am looking into power metal, I like all the crazy guitar **** that DragonForce do, for example.

I feel you on full albums, House music makes up quite a lot of electronica, and you really appreciate the value of a continuous album over individual tracks, especially when you head into the more ambient stuff.

Absolution seems to be pretty well-praised here. I'll give it a listen when I get it.

ReputationRep:
    Will do. Origin of Symmetry was one I had down as particularly bad, along with Showbiz, and Hullabaloo. When I listened to them there was nothing on all three that struck me as decent.

edit: Whereas with the resistance Undisclosed Desires and Uprising did straight away
    :facepalm2:

You can't judge Hullabaloo in the same way as you can Showbiz and Origin. Hullabaloo is a live album.

Also, you're wrong about everything you've said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
    :facepalm2:

You can't judge Hullabaloo in the same way as you can Showbiz and Origin. Hullabaloo is a live album.

Also, you're wrong about everything you've said.
    Ah classic, well educated response. Though to be fair I didn't know that, so drop that from that list of three. The point still stands

Everything about you reeks of classic internet ****.

Good day

ReputationRep:
    It was simply phenomenal last night. Was so much better than at Glasgow last year. I ******* love Muse.

ReputationRep:
    Ah classic, well educated response. Though to be fair I didn't know that, so drop that from that list of three. The point still stands

Everything about you reeks of classic internet ****.

Good day
    To be fair, you've waltzed in here, don't read or reply to half of the responses and then announce that you've only listened to most of it once. Not great research. How do you know if you like something after one try? You might have a vague idea but you can't be sure. Come back after you've given all of the albums a proper listen and then us what you think. Also, going to a gig would be good but you probably won't spend the money on it. Muse haven't won countless live awards for nothing you know?!

ReputationRep:
    Gig was awesome yesterday! Thought I was gonna die from dehydration...

Don't know why some people are criticising others for saying The Resistance is good/great/their best album etc. It's about personal preference as no 2 people have the exact same music taste so I really don't understand the idiots telling other people that they are 'wrong'. Personally I like the new stuff as much as the old stuff. I also didn't like PABH at all yesterday, sometimes I wasn't sure whether they had moved on to another song... but just my opinion obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    To be fair, you've waltzed in here, don't read or reply to half of the responses and then announce that you've only listened to most of it once. Not great research. How do you know if you like something after one try? You might have a vague idea but you can't be sure. Come back after you've given all of the albums a proper listen and then us what you think. Also, going to a gig would be good but you probably won't spend the money on it. Muse haven't won countless live awards for nothing you know?!
    To be fair getting awards for being best live band doesn't mean much, I mean hell Coldplay were nominated for a load a while back iirc (and justly lost cause of a bunch of metalheads campaigning for a vote for Iron Maiden in the case of the BRiT awards in any case)

Although that doesn't detract from the main point which is that Muse are brilliant live. I desperately want to see them at some point, couldn't go to Wembley this year though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan?)
    Gig was awesome yesterday! Thought I was gonna die from dehydration...
    Me too, I dropped my water as soon as Muse came on and couldn't get to the barrier to get water off of the stewards :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    I've replied to every response. Show me a response I haven't replied to.

Second of all, obviously I've heard a reasonable amount of Muse through popular culture. Lots of my friends like it and put it on when I'm around, so it's not like I've had minimal exposure.

Thirdly, yes I have listened to most of the albums once. But when I first started my library I had around 3.1 days worth of music, a lot of which I'd never listened to before. Muse was the one band of all of that whose albums consistently didn't impress me all the way through. I mean most albums will have a couple of songs that make you think "yeah, that's worth listening to again" but some Muse albums had none of these for me. Sorry, but I now have 7 days worth of music all of which gave me a better first impression so forgive me for not listening to 3 or 4 days worth of stuff that didn't impress me in the first place.

I am far more educated in the subject than your average person who claims "band x sucks." Like I said, I have at least attempted to listen to and enjoy this stuff, and consistently found it wasn't easy.

I have listened to the opinions of people on here, and even said I will listen to whatever that album is again, if people think it is the best.

I see your point about gigs, but yeah read the section about not listenin go the albums more than once, and slightly change the argument.

tl;dr I haven't been a **** about this at all and do not deserve to be treated like that at all. Just stupid fanboys who can't take a bit of criticism or at least put a coherant argument together to try to convince me otherwise. As Champagne Supernova and mc1000 have done.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.