The Student Room Group

Muse Society II - Join the Resistance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RedDevilThing
^Video removed

Opinions?

Here's mine:

Spoiler

I generally agree with your spoiler, a pop song done well in my book :smile: Beautiful was the word that came to mind for me. Reading interviews and album previews this sounded like the one song I wouldn't be fussed about so I'm still as excited as ever. Probably a good choice for the album promoting single :biggrin:
What the hell? Muse have changed their style and have done it vaguely well? Bloody hell. Only bit I can immediately think to critique is the harmony at about 1:58 which seems to jar a little, but I still think it sounds great in isolation.

Muselive are having a fit :hahaha:
I like it. Think it'll be a grower as well, expect to like it a lot more after 3 or 4 listens :biggrin:
Original post by Kaytti
Am I the only one a little skeptical about the new album?

I don't know about sceptical but definitely a little concerned. From what we've heard so far it seems a little all over the place, we've got a pop song, a crazy rock opera with major riffage and some dubstep-meets-film-soundtrack. It's hard to put a definite musical theme to the album, if The Resistance was heavily influenced by classical music, then perhaps this album has been influenced by everything? :dontknow:

Of course this doesn't prevent it from being a good album, on the whole I like what I've heard so far and the song descriptions we've seen so far seem to back up Muse declaring it's their most varied album yet. I'm willing to reserve judgement until the 1st of October, if I'm honest I'm reasonably excited.

Original post by glousck
I like it. Think it'll be a grower as well, expect to like it a lot more after 3 or 4 listens :biggrin:

Yeah! I'm on my 3rd listen and it's already growing on me.

Edit: A couple of things I'd like to add. First, the lyrics themselves aren't particularly original or any less cheesy than some of their other stuff, but it just doesn't feel cheesy one bit. Well done Maffoo! :awesome: Lastly, since I think the video posted with the song on Youtube isn't the actual music video, then perhaps it could be used as live visuals? I think it would well and would probably fit the mood of the song when played live. It doesn't feel particularly well suited to being played live but we'll see.
(edited 11 years ago)
The Resistance was heavily influenced by classical music, then perhaps this album has been influenced by everything?

Matt's said Hans Zimmer, Skrillex and U2 were some of the influences on the 2nd Law. Couldn't pick more random three artists if you tried :lol: When I think about it though, in a crazy way it makes sense - everything we've heard so far has been a varied, mixed bunch - you can't really get more varied and mixed than Hans, Skrillex & U2 altogether!
I think Madness isn't as bad as I initially felt it was when I heard it last night. It's a grower I think. The start is quite simple and initially not particularly interesting but I think it could come after a completely ridiculous song so it might be a nice respite. I think it will work better in album context. I'm looking forward to the album. :smile:
Thought I heard U2 in there somewhere.

Ehh, it's not so bad. Better than the first offering.
I'm really freaking out, my ticket's gone missing and duplicates can only be requested a week before the performance. It's a standing ticket though, I'm not sure if they'll offer a duplicate for it, and it cuts so close to the actual performance... :s-smilie:
A long shot I know but does anyone here have one of the muse necklaces with the leather plectrum and a silver one in front with the word muse on it. I would like to buy one and they are out of production now and my daughter lost hers at Reading :frown: Would pay a good price for it :smile:
I've not had my tickets through the post yet :s-smilie:
Out of Survival, Unsustainable and Madness, which track does everyone think or hope will be like most songs on the album? They're three extremely different songs from each other, so it's hard to tell what the overall sound of the album's going to be like! I suppose that's what they wanted to achieve though, given that they want to keep evolving and changing their sound.
What in the name of God is Chris playing in the Madness video? It looks so shiny!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2t5CpIMZQk

Original post by Stray_talk
Thought I heard U2 in there somewhere.

Ehh, it's not so bad. Better than the first offering.

Simon :drool:
Original post by JohnnySPal
What in the name of God is Chris playing in the Madness video? It looks so shiny!

It's a kitara. I believe Chris mentioned it in the Radio 1 interview that accompanied the Madness premier. It's a MIDI instrument shaped like and, on a basic level, used like a guitar.

http://www.misadigital.com/index.php?target=kitara&lang=en

I found a cover of Unsustainable that somebody made using a kitara:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzgkXSluPqQ
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by glousck
Out of Survival, Unsustainable and Madness, which track does everyone think or hope will be like most songs on the album? They're three extremely different songs from each other, so it's hard to tell what the overall sound of the album's going to be like! I suppose that's what they wanted to achieve though, given that they want to keep evolving and changing their sound.

Madness is the best out of the three imo, Survival would be good if it weren't for the ****ty lyrics and Matt's voice gone all weird, Unsustainable just doesn't seem that good at all... I think this might be a very varied album, but I'm hoping for some heavier 'Musier' stuff... :biggrin:
First evar live performance of Madness on Swedish TV show:

Beautiful :u:
Original post by RedDevilThing
First evar live performance of Madness on Swedish TV show:

Beautiful :u:

Holy crap, Chris's double-necked kitara/bass... :colone:
Reply 6356
I'm off to the Manchester gig in November, my first Muse gig believe it or not... anyone else? I might have to find someone to go with you know as my friend might be dropping out and so I may have a spare ticket...
I'm going to the second london date. Just hoping I don't get put on a boat at some point and have to miss it (fingers crossed!)
Original post by Junker
I'm off to the Manchester gig in November, my first Muse gig believe it or not... anyone else? I might have to find someone to go with you know as my friend might be dropping out and so I may have a spare ticket...

I should be going, my first muse gig too, however i've managed to misplace my ticket :facepalm: so apparently i might be able to get hold of a duplicate a week before the concert, but im still not sure if they'll let me... :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone off to the iTunes festival show?

Quick Reply

Latest