Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Muse in Radio 1 Live Lounge:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else going to see them at the o2 Arena in Dublin? The 2nd Law is absolutely awesome, cannot wait to buy it or to go see them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebecca01x)
    isit worth going to the gig then? im like in two minds
    They could play the Vengaboys back catalogue and still make it an absolute spectacle. I've seen them live twice and they've blown everyone else I've ever seen out the water.

ReputationRep:
    I love the way they were going to stop playing OoS and yet played PiB and New Born. Good stuff. I don't think I could live with myself if they dropped entirely everything off the album.

ReputationRep:
    Listened to it twice now and my feelings are generally positive towards this album. Already I prefer it to the Resistance and it may be on a par with Showbiz and perhaps BH&R but obviously not anywhere near the level of Absolution or OoS. Agree with previous comments about the album not flowing very well, it is a bit odd in that sense and I still don't think Survival should be on the album, its not that I don't like it, I just don't think it fits and I really thought when it came out that it would be a standalone single just for the olympics. Highlights for me would be Supremacy, Panic Station, Follow Me, Animals and the two 'The 2nd Law' tracks as Isolated system is beautiful imo. Save Me is growing on me I have to say but so far I don't think much for Explorers, Big Freeze or Liquid State.

I'd give it maybe 8/10, its another good showing from them.

ReputationRep:
    Have had T2L in my car for a few plays now and it's growing on me a bit so here's my run through:

Supremacy - ok, it's not a favourite but it's in the top half of the good songs.
    Madness - actually probably one of the most solid songs on the whole album
    Panic Station - was unsure of this at first but it's really grown on me, probably one of my favourites now
    Prelude - meh, nothing special here really
    Survival - lyrics let it down. Nothing special but nothing particularly horrific.
    Follow me - hate the start of this and then the club type beat does nothing to save it. Worst song on the album. Would skip.
    Animals - quality tune, loved it from the start - quintessentially muse.
    Explorers - the fact that I can't remember how this song goes speaks volumes. Boring and unmemorable.
    Save Me - Not particularly keen on the general feel of this song. Would skip.
    Liquid State - nice heavier song which I'm looking forward to live but not particularly outstanding on the album tbh.
    Unsustainable - I quite like it... don't mind a small quantity of dubsteppy stuff and the string and band interlude bit is great.
    Isolated System - really thought this song would go somewhere but it didn't... a little bit disappointing as a closer.

Overall, 6/10. Better than the resistance but probably on par with showbiz. OoS and Absolution still streaking lightyears ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask why the general consensus is that Resistance is the worst album? I'm strange in that it's one of my favorite's so find it hard to work out why everyone hates it so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silkysam)
    Can I just ask why the general consensus is that Resistance is the worst album? I'm strange in that it's one of my favorite's so find it hard to work out why everyone hates it so much
    Because the symphony that they waffled on about for years and years was an utter let down and then from the rest of the album the only good tracks were MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection and they rarely played those live and when they did they didn't make them feel epic. As a whole that album sucked on cd and live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Because the symphony that they waffled on about for years and years was an utter let down and then from the rest of the album the only good tracks were MK Ultra and Unnatural Selection and they rarely played those live and when they did they didn't make them feel epic. As a whole that album sucked on cd and live.
    Disagree about the symphony, imo its the best thing about TR and part 1 would be up there with my favourite muse tracks but yeah in general it was a poor album and at times it was like they were just taking the piss (i.e. USoE, Guiding Light and the bizarre I Belong to You), I know they've never been a serious band and its always been about being deliberately over the top but some of TR was just too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Disagree about the symphony, imo its the best thing about TR and part 1 would be up there with my favourite muse tracks but yeah in general it was a poor album and at times it was like they were just taking the piss (i.e. USoE, Guiding Light and the bizarre I Belong to You), I know they've never been a serious band and its always been about being deliberately over the top but some of TR was just too far.
    I dunno, I was getting into I belong to you, it was sort of fun. Until the bit in the middle, that completely destroyed the whole thing.

Im gonna revise my opinion on the 2nd Law. It doesnt flow very well, it isnt mixed as well as it deserves, but I still love listening to it. Since hearing them play some of it live, it seems the restraint in some of the songs on record is completely disregarded live, which is only a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting really hyped for the gig on the 27th! And also I need at least £10 to get T2L from HMV. Though £60 to get the Vinyl LP would be nice too.

ReputationRep:
    Need to book a hostel for Saturday night of the gig... mustn't forget!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if anyone has posted this, but you have to watch it. It's amazing! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quornslice)
    I don't know if anyone has posted this, but you have to watch it. It's amazing! :P

Amazing. That is so awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Amazing. That is so awesome!
    Yep. I really hope they play Panic Station at the O2 when I go see them on the 27th!

ReputationRep:
    Been ages since anyone's posted in this thread! Seeing muse this friday, cant freaking wait, im So excited

ReputationRep:
    1 week until the LG gig!

ReputationRep:
    Seeing them on Friday!

Can't wait to hear all the classics, even a lot of the new stuff I really like but of course not as much as old stuff.

Pretty much my favourite band and have spent years wishing I had seen them sooner!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliwilson19)
    Seeing them on Friday!

Can't wait to hear all the classics, even a lot of the new stuff I really like but of course not as much as old stuff.

Pretty much my favourite band and have spent years wishing I had seen them sooner!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Same here, only 2 days to go! Would love to say I'm hoping for some rare older songs, but I fear with muse that may be optimistic! I dream of them playing Sunburn, which incidently did happen once randomly a couple of years ago in Australia I think but its fair to say it doesn't happen very often and one slight downside of muse gigs is they don't vary setlists much. But that aside of course I can't wait, loving some of the 2nd law songs and the stage setup sounds like its going to be mental, with a pyramid that apparently engulves the band at some point in the show I hear

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting this tour out. For once, I can say that I'll be peeved if they do play rares

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.