Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muse Society II - Join the Resistance! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    http://www.last.fm/user/benharris16 for the record.
    No one asked.

Any good band makes an album completely different. Note Led Zeppelin's Houses Of The Holy, which is incredibly different to their other albums but just as brilliant, and my joint favourite from them. But when the new sound is rather rubbish why do i feel i have to like it just because Muse are one of my favourite modern day bands? :yes:
    Not always. Some good bands don't make an album completely different, but rather progress and improve upon a certain sound. Rise Against, for example. RPM was an amazing album. Then there was Siren Song of the Counter Culture. The sound was mostly different, more mainstream-friendly, and wasn't as spectacular. And after that was The Sufferer and the Witness, which saw them going back to their pre-Siren Song style, and was better for it.

No one's asking you to like the new songs/album, just because it's Muse. Just refrain from being a knobhead about it. Constructive criticism is good. It encourages debate. Some of the stuff you've been spewing though has been...less than constructive.

I, for one, think that Uprising is a strong song as a lead single. Stronger definitely than SMBH was. USoE, not so much. I like it, but it's by no means flawless, or one of their best. I guess I'm mainly bothered by the United States!" and "Eurasia! Sia! Sia!" parts of the song. But, it was free, so who really cares if it's not their best. I don't see any other bands engaging thier fans to that extent, and giving them a song from the album months before the album's even released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
    No one asked.

Not always. Some good bands don't make an album completely different, but rather progress and improve upon a certain sound. Rise Against, for example. RPM was an amazing album. Then there was Siren Song of the Counter Culture. The sound was mostly different, more mainstream-friendly, and wasn't as spectacular. And after that was The Sufferer and the Witness, which saw them going back to their pre-Siren Song style, and was better for it.

No one's asking you to like the new songs/album, just because it's Muse. Just refrain from being a knobhead about it. Constructive criticism is good. It encourages debate. Some of the stuff you've been spewing though has been...less than constructive.

I, for one, think that Uprising is a strong song as a lead single. Stronger definitely than SMBH was. USoE, not so much. I like it, but it's by no means flawless, or one of their best. I guess I'm mainly bothered by the United States!" and "Eurasia! Sia! Sia!" parts of the song. But, it was free, so who really cares if it's not their best. I don't see any other bands engaging thier fans to that extent, and giving them a song from the album months before the album's even released.
    Hence why i said 'for the record'.

Personally i don't regard Rise Against as much good, but can't say i have really listened to them much.

Just because i don't like something you call it not constructive? I think USoE is very weak, as there is too much Queen sound in there. Of course influences are good, but it's too influenced if you know what i mean, and the song structure wise is all over the place. SMBH was a great lead single, catchy and just a very good song!

Uprising isn't catchy and has a synth making weird noises in there. The synth doesn't go with the song at all for me. The vocals and lyrics are nothing special for me. The bass recovers some dignity for Muse here and Muse's bassist who's name escapes me i regard as a brilliant bassist. Muse altogether great band, and easily one of the greatest talented bands around. Many many bands i rate higher than Muse though, just bands have gone hill since 90s for me. But their 2 newest songs are their weakest for a long time for me and i'm hesitant to wonder how good their new album might be.

ReputationRep:
    But their 2 newest songs are their weakest for a long time for me and i'm hesitant to wonder how good their new album might be.
    Yeah, they are a bit weaker than other muse tracks, and i for one view USoE as the Soldiers Poem of this album, i know if that was the first song from Black Holes that I heard, id have been worried about why Muse turned into a barber shop quartet, but it sort of works within the album. USoe might do so too.

Id reserve judgement about the album until weve heard more, remember weve not heard any of the heavy riffage yet, and from repots, the album seems to be more focused than Black Holes. Come the 14th and youve heard the album, im sure youll be free to denounce the album as you see fit.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely adore USoE. It's great. Love the Queen-esque stuff and it's a bit of a change and a barmy song that (hopefully) won't take itself too seriously.

Uprising I also like, but I really haven't heard it enough so I'll reserve judgement.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Muse fans!!
    sorry to randomly invade your thread
    I love Muse toooooo
    **random post**

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Yeah, they are a bit weaker than other muse tracks, and i for one view USoE as the Soldiers Poem of this album, i know if that was the first song from Black Holes that I heard, id have been worried about why Muse turned into a barber shop quartet, but it sort of works within the album. USoe might do so too.

Id reserve judgement about the album until weve heard more, remember weve not heard any of the heavy riffage yet, and from repots, the album seems to be more focused than Black Holes. Come the 14th and youve heard the album, im sure youll be free to denounce the album as you see fit.
    I agree entirely. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elf.)
    Hey Muse fans!!
    sorry to randomly invade your thread
    I love Muse toooooo
    **random post**
    Oooo, another girl :teeth: :dance:

Hai!!

ReputationRep:
    So any thoughts on the artwork for the single? I like it. It has teddy bears in. That is all.

*Embarrased by own childishness*

ReputationRep:
    Oooo, another girl :teeth: :dance:

Hai!!
    Hi
    Why, are you mainly guys?
    I'm surprised, cos of Matt....Yum yum :love:

ReputationRep:
    Aint guys allowed to appreciate matt :hmmm:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaara.)
    Aint guys allowed to appreciate matt :hmmm:

:p:
    Yeah, ofcourse
    Sorry, that was slightly discriminatory of me :p:
    Personally, I can't see why they wouldn't appreciate him :love:

ReputationRep:

:drool:

ReputationRep:
    imagine.. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I have Internets again! :awesome: (again)

Hopefully this time, it'll be more permanent.

[EDIT]I also now have a *****ing ringtone :awesome: Betcha can't guess what it is. It used to be No Control, by BFMV.

[EDIT2]Also, just seen the details for the single release of Uprising. The CD's B-track is a remix by Does It Offend You, Yeah?, and the vinyl has Who Knows Who, feat. Mike Skinner.

Are they scraping the barrel or what!!?

ReputationRep:
    [EDIT]I also now have a *****ing ringtone :awesome: Betcha can't guess what it is. It used to be No Control, by BFMV.

[EDIT2]Also, just seen the details for the single release of Uprising. The CD's B-track is a remix by Does It Offend You, Yeah?, and the vinyl has Who Knows Who, feat. Mike Skinner.
    i) Is it that wonderful song by En Dubs feat. Jay Zed with arbitrary hip hoppin' rapster man #47? :dunno:

[:rofl: anyone like the fact that N Dubz has the word "dubz" in his name? Bet he can't rap for toffee]

ii) Oh. God. Didn't DIOU,Y? cover MUSE? Returning the favour much? :dunno:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnySPal)
    i) Is it that wonderful song by En Dubs feat. Jay Zed with arbitrary hip hoppin' rapster man #47? :dunno:

[:rofl: anyone like the fact that N Dubz has the word "dubz" in his name? Bet he can't rap for toffee]

ii) Oh. God. Didn't DIOU,Y? cover MUSE? Returning the favour much? :dunno:
    i) It is not

ii) No idea. I've no interest in them. They're obviously some kind of student ********.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, don't mention N-Dubz, he is perhaps the worst person in music EVER hehe. Jay-Z is excellent though, don't diss a great :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, don't mention N-Dubz, he is perhaps the worst person in music EVER hehe. Jay-Z is excellent though, don't diss a great :eek:
    Oh, I don't know, Flo Rida is an excellent contender for that spot.

"Wow, I've somehow got a music contract! Think I'll just go and *******ise some old (and already ****) songs. The mainstream drones will lap that up!"

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I don't know, Flo Rida is an excellent contender for that spot.

"Wow, I've somehow got a music contract! Think I'll just go and *******ise some old (and already ****) songs. The mainstream drones will lap that up!"
    Being deadly serious, anyone who knows things about Hip Hop knows Jay-Z is lyrically excellent and has some great beats. It's most of the mainstream e.g. Flo Rida that tarnishes the name of Hip Hop But goes the same for any genre. I mean most band music in the mainstream tends to suck. I forgot about the Wombats, serious contenders to Dappy for worst ever.

(Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Who are they? The middle one looks like an older version of a mate :p:

Oh, it's The Jonas Brothers. Yep they can be added alongside Wombats and Dappy. I'm shoving Miley Cyrus in too to complete the party :p:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.