Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    How did you find that site? I always struggle to find gems of sites like that which offer like everything a band does!
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rare+muse+tracks

I never get tired of that website :cool:

ReputationRep:
    haha, that easy :o:

ReputationRep:
    hello guys

ReputationRep:
    :p: Did I already rep you for that name?

ReputationRep:
    huh? you mean me?

ReputationRep:
    :woo: just over 3 weeks til the Sheffield gig :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering whether The Resistance will stand the test of time :sad:

Does anyone feel that our beloved MUSE have thrown a bunch of disparate songs - albeit awesome disparate songs - onto a CD? Well, except Guiding Light of course which IMO is complete toss. The first four albums feel well-crafted (yes, even BHaR) whereas I'm struggling to pick out any common musical theme between tracks on TR.

IMO the second half of BHaR sounds amazing and songs flow into each other in a way that is just swell. Likewise the slower/darker second half of Absolution is wonderous. TR? US, MK U, IBtY and Exo couldn't be any more different.

Dare I say, as amazing as it is, I'm starting to wonder whether they should have put Exogenesis on the album. It feels a jot out of place now I've listened through to the whole album a few times. I reckon this may have been sured with an extra track or two; with the symphony taking up three tracks, the album feels slightly too short.

That's my latest opinion anyway. It'll probably change again in a few days :p:

I'm off to Ireland reallllllly sooooooooooon :woo:

ReputationRep:
    There definitely isn't that sense of cohesiveness that I get from Absolution which I've always thought of as a concept album for the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    I know this was posted a couple of weeks ago but I'm putting it on again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn2qKraB1lQ

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnySPal)
    I'm wondering whether The Resistance will stand the test of time :sad:
    Overall, I think it will. There will obviously be some critics, even fans at that, who will criticise the new sound. There isn't enough of those trademark riffs that you get from the other albums and not everyone will warm to the classical sound.

But I think they have to be applauded in moving in a new direction. They didn't rest on their laurels and produce the same sound, one that's been successful and brought them a lot of acclaim and money.

Does anyone feel that our beloved MUSE have thrown a bunch of disparate songs - albeit awesome disparate songs - onto a CD? Well, except Guiding Light of course which IMO is complete toss. The first four albums feel well-crafted (yes, even BHaR) whereas I'm struggling to pick out any common musical theme between tracks on TR.

IMO the second half of BHaR sounds amazing and songs flow into each other in a way that is just swell. Likewise the slower/darker second half of Absolution is wonderous. TR? US, MK U, IBtY and Exo couldn't be any more different.
    I sort of agree with this. There doesn't seem to be a common theme which ties the album together. But one theme that is present in a lot of the songs is 'resistance'. Hence why they called the album 'The Resistance'!!

Uprising: 'They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious'.

Resistance: 'Is our secret safe tonight. And are we out of sight...Love is our resistance. They'll keep us apart they wont stop breaking us down'.

United States of Eurasia: 'And must we do as we're told? Must we do as we're told?'.

Unnatural Selection: 'I want the truth. No religion or mind virus, Is there a hope that the facts will ever find us'.

MK Ultra: 'How much deception can you take? How many lies will you create? How much longer until you break?'

(MK ultra was actually a CIA program during the Cold War where they tried to influence the mind of people, sort of like the Jason Bourne trilogy).

I think in them songs particularly there's that theme of resisting some sort of oppressive force. It makes the album quite Orwellian, it filled with paranoia and fear, makes it sort of 'us' against 'them'.

Dare I say, as amazing as it is, I'm starting to wonder whether they should have put Exogenesis on the album. It feels a jot out of place now I've listened through to the whole album a few times.
    Right now, I think I agree with this. I love Exogenesis, but it does feel like a great piece just tagged on at the end of the album. But to counter that, Matt loves classical music and maybe he put the three part symphony in for himself; music can be self-indulgent and personal.

I reckon this may have been sured with an extra track or two; with the symphony taking up three tracks, the album feels slightly too short.
    I think they should have put in 3 maybe 4 more songs. If you don't like the symphony, that leaves 8 songs!

Overall, I think it's a really good album. Conceptually impressive, artistic and bold. I think the next album will return to their former sound. I do hope so, like one critic said: 'next time, guys, can you just go nuts?!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    Overall, I think it will. There will obviously be some critics, even fans at that, who will criticise the new sound. There isn't enough of those trademark riffs that you get from the other albums and not everyone will warm to the classical sound.

But I think they have to be applauded in moving in a new direction. They didn't rest on their laurels and produce the same sound, one that's been successful and brought them a lot of acclaim and money.

I sort of agree with this. There doesn't seem to be a common theme which ties the album together. But one theme that is present in a lot of the songs is 'resistance'. Hence why they called the album 'The Resistance'!!

Right now, I think I agree with this. I love Exogenesis, but it does feel like a great piece just tagged on at the end of the album. But to counter that, Matt loves classical music and maybe he put the three part symphony in for himself; music can be self-indulgent and personal.

I think they should have put in 3 maybe 4 more songs. If you don't like the symphony, that leaves 8 songs!
    I'm referring more to a musical theme. I appeciate the whole Resistance thing in the lyrics, but like we take MUSE lyrics seriously. Loveeee is our RESISTANCEEEEEE!! :ahee:

I've always loved how I love different MUSE albums depending on my mood. They have a distinct feel to them and I almost feel like I'm flowing effortlessly through whichever album has taken my fancy. Anyone who loves Hullabaloo like I do will know exactly what I'm talking about here.

With The Resistance I'm kinda thinking "K we've had some Dr. Who synthing, now we're completely owning The Killers when playing them at their own game, ooh now let's have some kick-ass R'n'B, NO **** THAT **** here's some fookin' Queen, BUT NO that's controversial so instead let's play safe with Invincible mk. II immediately before some hardcore headbanging action that leads into electronica, a sound reminiscent of being on the French Metro and, if that doesn't finally finish ya off, a huge-whackoff symphony orchestrated by several dozen session players".

Get my point no? It's the album equivalent of an ADHD kid who's been given several new pets, no less than thirty seven tonnes of Haribo and a Toys 'R' Us voucher to the sum of £14,246,129,37. Or something.

Also, :fyi: I think Exogenesis is ******* brilliant. If anything, I think they could have gone even more nuts and made another B-side album similar to Hullabaloo. I ain't letting no-one think I dislike it :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I really can't get into exogenesis, I must be the only one.
    Resistance (song) is inspired by 1984. I've read a ton of interviews when Matt said he re read it recently (not having read it since school or whatever) and he was more stuck by the romance in the book than the political themes. That may be the reason for the cheesy lyric

ReputationRep:
    Get my point no? It's the album equivalent of an ADHD kid who's been given several new pets, no less than thirty seven tonnes of Haribo and a Toys 'R' Us voucher to the sum of £14,246,129,37. Or something.
    Oh Johnny, I love you! Take me now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
    Oh Johnny, I love you! Take me now!
    You finally realised the ladies aren't biting then?

C'mere, gorgeous :reel:

Mmmmmomma.

ReputationRep:
    I'm referring more to a musical theme. I appeciate the whole Resistance thing in the lyrics, but like we take MUSE lyrics seriously. Loveeee is our RESISTANCEEEEEE!! :ahee:
    If there was one lyric that could sum up the whole album, it'd be that. I don't think it's as cheesy as some people make out (I actually don't think it's cheesy at all once you've listened to the entire album).

With The Resistance I'm kinda thinking "K we've had some Dr. Who synthing, now we're completely owning The Killers when playing them at their own game, ooh now let's have some kick-ass R'n'B, NO **** THAT **** here's some fookin' Queen, BUT NO that's controversial so instead let's play safe with Invincible mk. II immediately before some hardcore headbanging action that leads into electronica, a sound reminiscent of being on the French Metro and, if that doesn't finally finish ya off, a huge-whackoff symphony orchestrated by several dozen session players".
    Well it makes the album entertaining :p:. Do you like the fact they've changed sound from track to track? I know some people who absolutely loath this. I suppose TR is like BHAR; very hit and miss.

Also, :fyi: I think Exogenesis is ******* brilliant.
    Good man.

I think they could have gone even more nuts and made another B-side album similar to Hullabaloo. I ain't letting no-one think I dislike it :eek3:
    Let's have a B-side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJdu6_STazc

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know where I can buy some Muse tickets safely? I'd like to buy three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    Majorly agreed :yep:

I think they had a bit of fun experimenting on this record, hopefully they'll work out what works and what doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    Mmmmmomma.
    I've missed you :lovie:

You finally realised the ladies aren't biting then?

C'mere, gorgeous :reel:
    Just biding my time until I can meet Jeh, stalk him, and find out where his sister lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    Well it makes the album entertaining :p:. Do you like the fact they've changed sound from track to track? I know some people who absolutely loath this. I suppose TR is like BHAR; very hit and miss.
    I think BHaR does a very good job of maintaining musical consistency. The first half of the album is a pretty poppy affair but the second half, what, with Assassin, Exo, City of Delusion and Hoodoo, gives that much-needed theme. Anyone else wonder if they'd spent a lot of time in Spain prior to recording? Hell, even KoC tags onto the end reasonably nicely if you ask me!

BHaR is a little hit-and-miss, yes, but I can't recall many albums with such a strong second half. That, when you have the likes of MotP in the first half makes for a well wikid album innit?

Also, end. Of. *******. Story. K?: Queen star May hails Muse album (BBC News)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.