Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heyy

I'm considering applying to York University but have heard that the campus is a 10 min bus journey from the city centre.
    Has being slightly out of the city been a problem for anyone?
    Mainly, hows the nightlife? Negatively effected by the distance?

or is there enough in the campus so that the distance factor is never really an issue?

Any help would be great,
    I'm going to visit York Uni to have a look for myself but just want to know how much of an effect it has on daily student life

Claire

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to york but have visited there from Leeds when i was at uni for someones birthday. From what i gathered, it seems to be more a pub place with only a few nightclubs. I think Leeds is alot better for going out. A friend's friend who goes there said that. He also said he liked it though so i think it's ok, plus leeds is only 30 mins away if you fancied a change. I'm not sure about distance from campus etc but he didn't mention that so i doubt it is a huge problem.

ReputationRep:
    Check this forum, all the information is in there

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=30

ReputationRep:
    www.unionview.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire hogarth)
    Heyy

I'm considering applying to York University but have heard that the campus is a 10 min bus journey from the city centre.
    Has being slightly out of the city been a problem for anyone?
    Mainly, hows the nightlife? Negatively effected by the distance?

or is there enough in the campus so that the distance factor is never really an issue?

Any help would be great,
    I'm going to visit York Uni to have a look for myself but just want to know how much of an effect it has on daily student life

Claire
    It's 10minutes because the bus has to keep stopping to pick people up. You can easily walk into town, it's not far. It doesn't affect the nightlife at all.

ReputationRep:
    You can easily walk home from a night out. Although you'll moan if your in heels. Taxi into town is like 6Quid which between 4 of you is alright.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished at York, and people are right when they say it's not heavy on the nightclubs. It does however have a few well frequented venues (Toffs, Ziggys, etc). Leeds is half an horu away by train and good for the occasioal night out if you don't mind the reasonably short train journey.

It is a 10 minute bus ride, but you can walk from main campus to town in about half an hour. If you are living in Halifax college though, it can double the time to walk in.

It doesn't affect nightlife at all really, and taxis back to campus don't cost too much because it is fairly close to town. Leeds is good for clubbing like I say, and pretty closeby, but people are right when they say it's mainly pubs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.