Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I.e. how do *we* know there is a black hole? Yeah, this *thing* sucks up everything and nothing comes out of it... and you can't see it. :rolleyes:

Also, they could have fooled us about the planets. I mean, can we see Uranus with our eyes? No.

Also, the pictures of space. Easily done on Photoshop or something.

I mean, for all we know, the moon landing could have been fake as well. No one has went there since that 1970s landing. And NASA etc could just be telling lies and stuff.

Could stuff about space we know could be complete ********?

I mean, we can't even prove half of the stuff NASA comes up with. And they always provide "evidence". Maybe it's faked evidence? They make it so convincing, it seems true when it isn't.

Even the theories. I mean, if this universe is expanding, wtf is it expanding into?

For all we know they make be covering up the real truth and giving crap out, e.g. they may already be "aliens" on here right now.

But us *commoners* can't prove this.

Discuss.

(N.B. I know this is a bad OP, but it is really hard to explain what I mean)

ReputationRep:
    You can see planets through a (powerful) telescope, if you actually look.

ReputationRep:
    And for all we know, we could all be less than 1000KM apart but planes just go round in circles to make earth feel big :yep: That and i'm sure you could see planets if you get a telescope powerful enough..

(Original post by mazza558)
    You can see planets through a (powerful) telescope, if you actually look.
    Do you and I have a powerful telescope?

Could "planets" just be illusions?

Could the telescopes in observatories just be "simulated", like those flight simulator things?

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in the 1969 moon landing. Too convenient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Do you and I have a powerful telescope?

Could "planets" just be illusions?

Could the telescopes in observatories just be "simulated", like those flight simulator things?
    NASA/ESA/JAXA are not the only ones with 'powerful' telescopes. Many amateurs have the required equipment. Also, your example of Uranus to prove a point is flawed - Venus and Mars can be seen with the naked eye.

Your other points could be refuted with some simple research. For instance, black holes can be 'seen' through the way stars and other objects interact in space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by high contrast)
    I don't believe in the 1969 moon landing. Too convenient
    Too convenient... in what way?

ReputationRep:
    Suffering from a minor case of paranoia? I'll get the tin foil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I.e. how do *we* know there is a black hole? Yeah, this *thing* sucks up everything and nothing comes out of it... and you can't see it. :rolleyes:

Also, they could have fooled us about the planets. I mean, can we see Uranus with our eyes? No.

Also, the pictures of space. Easily done on Photoshop or something.

I mean, for all we know, the moon landing could have been fake as well. No one has went there since that 1970s landing. And NASA etc could just be telling lies and stuff.

Could stuff about space we know could be complete ********?

I mean, we can't even prove half of the stuff NASA comes up with. And they always provide "evidence". Maybe it's faked evidence? They make it so convincing, it seems true when it isn't.

Even the theories. I mean, if this universe is expanding, wtf is it expanding into?

For all we know they make be covering up the real truth and giving crap out, e.g. they may already be "aliens" on here right now.

But us *commoners* can't prove this.

Discuss.

(N.B. I know this is a bad OP, but it is really hard to explain what I mean)
    There are stars that orbit black holes and you can work out the black holes mass with the orbiting stars orbital period and speed.

Then with the mass of the black hole we can work out the black holes escape velocity.

NASA isn't the only agency that studies the universe. Think of all the unis that have a physics department and don't be so stupid.

Your the type of idiot that will join the flat earth society ---->http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    Too convenient... in what way?
    The whole space race "we will be on the moon by the end of the decade" then sure enough it "happens"
    I'm not convinced, not just because of that though.

ReputationRep:
    The whole space race "we will be on the moon by the end of the decade" then sure enough it "happens"

Would you care to explain your other reasons? The fact that it was convenient is not sufficient grounds for going against the massive amounts of evidence in favour of the moon landings.

ReputationRep:
    You can see quite a few of the planets even without a telescope. Venus is really easy to see for example.
    And you believe what they say because it makes sense. The beautiful thing about science is that everything is based on other phenomenon. Everything interlinks in a coherent manner. If it doesn't fit, you work on a theory until it does fit.

Why complicate things? If all the current theories fit and work together, then unless there is evidence to the contrary, why change how we think about things.

Now addressing some of your points:

1)You can't see the black hole with visible light (of course), but you can detect the x-rays it emits
    2) you can see Uranus with your eyes.
    3) There was no Photoshop in the 60s
    4) Why would NASA make it up..? and spend billions every year on space missions..?
    5) If space travel wasn't possible, how to you receive any media broadcasts..? or how does satnav and gps work..? no satellites means no fun...
    6) The universe doesn't have to be expanding 'in to' anything. Because we live in 3 (well, 4...) dimensions, our brains cannot really comprehend what other dimensions might entail. So scientists are still working on that one..

I can't be bothered to expand on all the points, so I kept them brief (and possibly badly explained)... but anyway, you get the idea

ReputationRep:
    NASA/JPL themselves leaked the 'Moon Landing Hoax' theory to draft the public's attention from the actual conspiracy.

No, I'm not ******* crazy.
    I'm not the one doubting black holes :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    Would you care to explain your other reasons? The fact that it was convenient is not sufficient grounds for going against the massive amounts of evidence in favour of the moon landings.
    It's a widely believed conspiracy, it's not just me who thinks it
    they've done fly pasts of the moon since, and we've never seen any footage of the landing buggies/other space equpment that they left there, or of the flag, which wouldn't have moved if there is no atmosphere.
    Then there's the thing everyone uses, how is the flag moving when there's no wind? etc.
    And NASA conveniently lost the footage a couple of years ago.
    I dunno, I just don't believe it happened.

ReputationRep:
    they've done fly pasts of the moon since, and we've never seen any footage of the landing buggies/other space equpment that they left there, or of the flag, which wouldn't have moved if there is no atmosphere.
    Then there's the thing everyone uses, how is the flag moving when there's no wind? etc.

This video, although not the one I was looking for, debunks completely the whole flag waving business. Since I've not had time to watch that particular video in full, the long of the short of it is: if you watch NASA's full video of the flag, it actually stays perfectly still for the remainder of the video - it's only when it's being set up by the astronauts (and thus subject to vibration, etc.) does the flag appear to 'wave'.

As for physical evidence of humans being on the moon we have a) the large amounts of lunar 'rock' returned from the moon and b) one Apollo mission placed reflectors on the moon to help measure distance between Earth and the Moon. Lasers are frequently reflected off of them.

ReputationRep:
    So where the **** did those reflectors on the moon come from, that we bounce lasers off?

ReputationRep:
    Yes because it's more likely to happen if they're not trying to get to the moon.

ReputationRep:
    Unlike most of the replys here, I do see the OPs point. On the other hand, I feel that it would have to be a hoax on a massive scale, lasting many centuries! (for example, staging Galileo was a master stroke of genius, having him hung for presenting "correct" ideas (Ok not hung, I can't remember exactly, but the church weren't exactly nice to him), making people feel sympathy for him, even though he was actually wrong)

Although such a hoax is possible, it would not be worth all the effort for the relativly small gain, unless there is some huge gain we are unaware of.

ReputationRep:
    For all we know the world could be flat and the sun goes around us :woo:

Photoshop is amazing though
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Clearly Your absolutely right as natural selection obviously failed!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.