Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by My Alt)
    Unlike most of the replys here, I do see the OPs point. On the other hand, I feel that it would have to be a hoax on a massive scale, lasting many centuries! (for example, staging Galileo was a master stroke of genius, having him hung for presenting "correct" ideas (Ok not hung, I can't remember exactly, but the church weren't exactly nice to him), making people feel sympathy for him, even though he was actually wrong)

Although such a hoax is possible, it would not be worth all the effort for the relativly small gain, unless there is some huge gain we are unaware of.
    Money? Power?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Antarctica doesn't exist either. Or siamese twins. Or anything else that I've never seen with my own eyes.

It's good to question things, but this one's a bit pointless.

ReputationRep:
    stop it u r scarin me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Even the theories. I mean, if this universe is expanding, wtf is it expanding into?
    Nothing. The universe is expanding = spacetime itself is expanding. There is nothing outside the universe, therefore the universe is "expanding" into nothing.

This isn't actually that difficult a question. The fact we don't necessarily understand it doesn't mean it's fake.

ReputationRep:

Also, they could have fooled us about the planets. I mean, can we see Uranus with our eyes? No.
    Go to Argos and pickup a telescope. Uranus is visible to a decent amateur "garden" telescope at the right time of year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by high contrast)
    they've done fly pasts of the moon since, and we've never seen any footage of the landing buggies/other space equpment that they left there, or of the flag, which wouldn't have moved if there is no atmosphere.
    How big is the moon...how small was the equipment they took...how high were these flyby's...think about it.
    You can barely see the huge manmade structures on Earth from an orbital altitude, so the chances of spotting a flag on the moon are almost zero - even if you know where it is.

Then there's the thing everyone uses, how is the flag moving when there's no wind? etc.
    The flag didn't wave when they let go of it. It only appeared to be moving because of how it was folded on the journey out there and because they had to physically handle it.

And NASA conveniently lost the footage a couple of years ago.
    What footage?
    Another question that has to asked to conspiracy theorists is where the hell did that huge Saturn V rocket go if it didn't go to the moon...?

ReputationRep:
    A 'concave hollow earth' has been proposed:

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    A 'concave hollow earth' has been proposed:

:eek:
    This.

ReputationRep:
    lol @ the star-shaped stars.

Answering this question would be so much easier TSR were the forests of the Congo and i had a rifle with a few rounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    Go to Argos and pickup a telescope. Uranus is visible to a decent amateur "garden" telescope at the right time of year.

you can see it when you're taking a poop too if you have an owl's head:cool:

ReputationRep:
    There is a theory that the universe is a lot smaller than people think, and it just looks larger because parts get reflected off other parts. But most think that's a load of rubbish.

And I don't see how faking the existence of Uranus (snigger) would actually benefit anyone. Whilst I don't believe the moon landings were faked, I can see how the US would have benefited (getting one over on Russia), but I don't see how, say, black holes would benefit anyone in a conspiracy-theory way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Suffering from a minor case of paranoia? I'll get the tin foil.
    Bahahaha!

OP: chillax, does it matter anyway?

ReputationRep:
    You have to ask the question why would they lie about it? I can understand the fake moon landing concept but planets? You're mad!

ReputationRep:
    Why do people assume scientists are evil and are always trying to deceive us? I blame Mary Shelley.

To OP: No one is hiding anything from you. The entirety of scientific record is available to the public through many published works, you just have to read them. There are plenty of more accessible science 101 books too.

To Moon Landing conspiracy people: Get a new conspiracy. I'm bored of this one.

ReputationRep:
    The moonlanding? Real? :toofunny:

The moonlanding was fake, I thought everyone knew that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    wow, paranoid!

nobody is keeping anything from you, and even if they were theres nothing you could do about it, its not like you can fly a rocket and see whats out there?

ReputationRep:
    yep. it is suitably naive to believe everything the government tells us.
    also read Deception Point.
    not a real story obviously but could happen...............

ReputationRep:
    I.e. how do *we* know there is a black hole? Yeah, this *thing* sucks up everything and nothing comes out of it... and you can't see it. :rolleyes:

Also, they could have fooled us about the planets. I mean, can we see Uranus with our eyes? No.

Also, the pictures of space. Easily done on Photoshop or something.

I mean, for all we know, the moon landing could have been fake as well. No one has went there since that 1970s landing. And NASA etc could just be telling lies and stuff.

Could stuff about space we know could be complete ********?

I mean, we can't even prove half of the stuff NASA comes up with. And they always provide "evidence". Maybe it's faked evidence? They make it so convincing, it seems true when it isn't.

Even the theories. I mean, if this universe is expanding, wtf is it expanding into?

For all we know they make be covering up the real truth and giving crap out, e.g. they may already be "aliens" on here right now.

But us *commoners* can't prove this.

Discuss.

(N.B. I know this is a bad OP, but it is really hard to explain what I mean)
    You're a ******* retard

Firstly, Apollo 17 was in 1972.

Secondly, I hate the fact that you think you'll get into a top university if your views are as retarded/thick/idiotic as this. Have you ever read anything about this? My guess is no.

I, on the other hand, have read lots on the subject of astronomy, and tbh, I think you're an idiot.

Also, without my telescope, I can see different planets, and with it I can see many more things.

Wow, I hope you die

ReputationRep:
    people who believe the moon landing was fake make me hurt with joy deep inside my bowels

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.