The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It takes a lot to send soembody 'postal', that kid must've seriously been ripping into the man. Afterall, a teacher is still human, kids these days seem to think they are robot drones that can put up with everything, witnessed it countless times, it is horrible seeing a teacher cry because the class are such arses (joys of going to a failing comprehensive)
Those little bastards probably deserved it.And fact is if the cane was around now and their parents disciplined them properly then one might not be seriously hurt in hospital now.

I only feel sorry for the teacher as his career and reputation are ruined.

I mean we have schools now where dinner ladies are sacked for blowing the whistle on a girl being bullied to her parents.Is it any wonder this was going to happen at some point?
Reply 82
sam854
i feel bad for the teacher.

attempted murder?!? so he is in the same boat as someone who left the house with the intention of killing someone, then with a gun shot someone 7 times but the victim happened to live. they both go down fo the same amount of time. thats ********!

any petition or something we can sign for the teacher? i mean 1/2 years in prision TOPS for the man. id rather he just lose his job and gets medical help for his mental problems.

yeah its bad the kid got hurt and the teacher needs to pay for waht he has done but thats WAY too extreme.

you think his punishments extreme? try getting hit with a 2kg metal weight - that guy could have died from his injuries easily so yeah that would be classed as an attempted murder
amii_G
So essentially, you want kids to learn and respect teachers because they fear them? Highly unethical, is it not? It's just wrong, morally. Coming home to see that my kid has been beaten up for what, speaking out? Besides, it's highly ambiguous; how would you measure if the beating is too much, too little, the "right amount"?

Guidelines would have to be drawn up to ensure it's not misused.
Reply 84
is everyone forgetting the fact there were other kids swearing at him and the fact the whole class was singing the MJ song?
Jonty99
Guidelines would have to be drawn up to ensure it's not misused.

What about the crazy idea that even a little bit of child abuse is still wrong?

Also everyone is at fault. The teacher shouldn't have reacted like that, the boy shouldn't have been a dick.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE5683UI20090709?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Look at his picture I mean I'd want to punch him if I saw him
Reply 86
FatFridge
I kind of support the teacher. I am a 100% sure that the kid he 'assaulted' was a crackhead chav.

I have more respect for a piece of rotten **** than I do for a chav.

Why the inverted commas? He didn't just slap this kid about a bit you know, he hit him with the full force of a metal set of scales.
Reply 87
**** you you do no its against the law to beat kids whether your a teacher or a parent

if you introduced the cane the gvt would be facing more lawsuits than MJ
Georgecopter
What about the crazy idea that even a little bit of child abuse is still wrong?

So hitting a child has become "child abuse"? A parent smacking their child is abusing their child? I wouldn't agree with that at all.
xsabax
**** you you do no its against the law to beat kids whether your a teacher or a parent

if you introduced the cane the gvt would be facing more lawsuits than MJ

Is it against the law for a parent to smack their child? I didn't think so.

And of course it's against the law for a teacher to hit their pupils. When I said it might be a good idea to reintroduce the cane for extreme circumstances, I obviously meant that the law would be changed to accommodate this.
Jonty99
So hitting a child has become "child abuse"? A parent smacking their child is abusing their child? I wouldn't agree with that at all.

What is it then if not abuse?
It is abuse - that's the point of doing it. Due to a parent's own incompetence to raise their child they have to abuse their child to make it do what they want. It's not huge abuse but it's still abuse.
Georgecopter
It is abuse - that's the point of doing it. Due to a parent's own incompetence to raise their child they have to abuse their child to make it do what they want. It's not huge abuse but it's still abuse.

I thought child abuse was illegal, but a parent giving their child a light smack was legal? I could be wrong though.
Reply 92
Could anyone tell me why this is being treated as attempted murder rather than assault or something else?

Was he screaming 'THIS WILL HOPEFULLY KILL YOU' as he was doing it or something?
Reply 93
Profesh
Don't be preposterous. Anyone who needs to smack their children in order to instil discipline is a failure of a parent.

yeh my parents are really failures
**** off
Georgecopter

Not the best choice of words there, really. In line with your opinion, over half the population of Britain's parents would be judged as incompetent. For instance, where I grew up smacking was commonplace, and still is now, and nobody bats an eyelid. There's a fine line between discipline and abuse, but there's still a difference. In fact, the difference is such that I fail to see why it has any relevance to an attempted murder by a teacher. It's quite absurd really.
trachimbrod
Not the best choice of words there, really. In line with your opinion, over half the population of Britain's parents would be judged as incompetent. For instance, where I grew up smacking was commonplace, and still is now, and nobody bats an eyelid. There's a fine line between discipline and abuse, but there's still a difference. In fact, the difference is such that I fail to see why it has any relevance to an attempted murder by a teacher. It's quite absurd really.

So is it still legal for a parent to smack their child?

Cos that would mean the guy you quoted is wrong about parents smacking their children being child abuse. Because if child abuse is illegal, but smacking is legal, it follows that smacking isn't child abuse.
Jonty99
So is it still legal for a parent to smack their child?

Cos that would mean the guy you quoted is wrong about parents smacking their children being child abuse. Because if child abuse is illegal, but smacking is legal, it follows that smacking isn't child abuse.

Um. I think that the European Court states that parents are allowed to use 'reasonable chastisement' on their children. Typical government ambiguity there!

Like I said, it's a fine line - one that needs to be clarified further. But in the case of most parents, I don't see smacking as causing real harm, but more as a last option disciplinary measure. I guess the danger is that it could lead to further abuse, and with the Baby P case still fresh in the mind, the outcome of that looks ugly, though something in that vein would be extremely rare.
Reply 97
yoyo462001
Wait wasnt beatings used not more than 50-60 years ago and did people respect there teachers, yes, did teachers beat children, yes, and children came alot more respectful to adults in those days than they do now. I went to a primary school that was allowed to beat and i tell you now YOU DO NOT FEAR teachers what it does it instil DISCIPLINE. im sorry its all that bureaucratic mubo jumbo like 'how would we know its too much' 'or the right amount' that means simple everyone is restrained due to thinkers like you. Im not having a go at you its just that we can never go anywhere if everyone tried to weigh up, question and scrutinize every decision a teacher would make.

I highly disagree. We're on totally opposite sides of the spectrum, here. But of course, I respect your opinion.
When my Dad was at school, all the teachers wore black capes and motorboards. Beatings were handed out on a regular basis but only to boys. Not all teachers used the cane but the ones who did were called 'beaters'. Funnily enough in the 'beaters' classes you could have heard a pin drop. One time me Dad was beaten about the head for a bout ten minutes (well it felt that long) for forgetting his book. With someone elses book,it was a hard backed book and he was covered in bruises. So he wouldn't forget again, he didn't.

Another time, they were on a school trip and one of his friends was later coming back to the coach because he was mucking about with some girl.When he finally came back the teacher punched him in the face breaking his nose.

My Dad went to a tough secondary modern with probably the sorts who made that teachers life hell and funnily enough nothing like that ever went on there. The parents if they were told their kid had been caned probably would have beaten the kid themselves ,if they deserved it or not. And that is what we have lost in schools today. Respect for teachers by both parents and kids. And with dealing with some lads ,violence is the only things they do respect when trying to teach them something. Teachers were respected pillars of the community ,now they are treated as jokes. I know because when I was at school me and the lads used to try and 'break' teachers.
Feel sorry for the teacher - although lets face it, none of us know the details so we cant really make a definitive judgement either way.

Latest

Trending

Trending