Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Friends and family that have been to university have always told me that there is always friendly and sometimes not so friendly rivalry between universities that are in the same city. eg. nottingham and nottingham trent, leeds and leeds met, university of birmingham and BCU, but in all of the cases above the universities are quiet far apart from each other,

where as manchester and manchester met are next door nieghboors, i just wanted to know if there was any rivalry between the two that i should know about before going (pending grades) Im going to be based on the business school campus which is across the road from Manchester Met

ReputationRep:
    Yep, of course it does. Two universities in the same city causes rivalry, nothing violent of anything, but in terms of sport and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    I live with a girl from the met (I'm from the uni) and while we joke about that she's at mickey mouse and I'm at a real uni, we don't notice the difference!

You're always going to get idiots who think they're above the met if they're at the uni, but the truth is they're quite different unis. You get courses at the met you can't do at the uni, more vocational type courses.

Don't forget about Salford too :p:

Seriously though, nothing to worry about and I certainly wouldn't let it affect my decision. The main area "rivalry" occurs is in the sport :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yer there defintitely is. I often witnessed heated debates between man met and man uni students on the magic bus.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's rivalry, but there's also quite a bit of collaboration, some joint societies and stuff. At the day I've got no less in common with someone at the met than someone doing some random course at the UofM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano88)
    Yer there defintitely is. I often witnessed heated debates between man met and man uni students on the magic bus.
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't ever seen any non-friendly rivalry between leeds met and leeds uni. Maybe the mets just know that leeds uni is better :p:
    Seriously though, don't worry about it I don't think it's a big issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priceless_beauty)
    Really?
    Yer but its all pretty friendly really, its not a serious problem. I was at man uni and had a couple friends at man met. It's good having two unis there anyway, three if you include salford. It just means that there are a load more students to mix with.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really call them rivals. it would be like Sainsbury's being rivals with the local corner shop.

One of my mates from manchester uni was talking to a girl from man met. After she discovered he was from manchester uni she refused to talk to him. She said all manchester uni people are snobbish.

ReputationRep:
    I've never noticed any rivalry. I heard a few pretty poor attempts at anti-man met chants on a magic once. That's it.

Oh, and there was that boat race..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikid)
    One of my mates from manchester uni was talking to a girl from man met. After she discovered he was from manchester uni she refused to talk to him. She said all manchester uni people are snobbish.
    That's just a bit hypocritical!

I'm not too worried about rivalry, to be honest.. shouldn't make a difference to friendships.

ReputationRep:
    I have witnessed a minor fight on the top deck of a bus after a few man met lads started chanting anti-UoM slogans. Was a bit silly, it seems to be the Man Met students care a lot more about the rivalry than UoM. And the Man Met stage school students HATE to be associated with Man Met. So it's a bit of a rivalry triangle.

It's kinda like the north/south divide. I never knew it was much of an issue until northern people told me about what I apparently think of them. Learnt plenty of new things about myself during freshers week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    Don't forget about Salford too :p:

Seriously though, nothing to worry about and I certainly wouldn't let it affect my decision. The main area "rivalry" occurs is in the sport :p:
    Oxford / Oxford Brookes is meant to have some pretty intense rivalry, and quite a degree of academic snobbery (from what I've heard at least).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tzar_Chasm)
    Oxford / Oxford Brookes is meant to have some pretty intense rivalry, and quite a degree of academic snobbery (from what I've heard at least).
    But this is Manchester :p:

And oxford do tend to have academic rivalry with just about anyone... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I have never witnessed anything past friendly banter.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I was jump on by three tall guys from man met, I'm a 5ft 2 girl from man uni. :cry:

:p:

I personally haven't notice anything.

ReputationRep:
    There's always a bit of crack between the local Redbrick and the local Early Learning Centre. It tends to be good-natured though (at least for Newcastle & Nothrumbia anyway).

ReputationRep:
    There's bound to be rivalry with them being so close to each other, so they are probably right. I think there would be rivalry anyway because mmu used to be a polytechnic, so there's like a snobbery issue-which is stupid. Same with Notts trent

I don't think it will affect friendships that might be made between boths unis. I think that's a bit more for the school kids lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tzar_Chasm)
    I hope you're joking. Oxford Brookes most certainly cannot rival Oxford. I would say cities with a redbrick and a met have very little rivalry since it is generally accepted the red bricks are superior.

The exception to this is London, where the likes of UCL, LSE and Imperial are genuinely closely matched in terms of reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screwyouguysimgoinghome)
    I hope you're joking. Oxford Brookes most certainly cannot rival Oxford.
    Not at all. When I said rivalry, I meant that there is a lot of friction/tension between the two unis and there isn't a great deal of integration. Especially from Ox Brookes - perhaps to compensate for their perceived inferiority. Also from Oxford students who, like I said, see themselves above the people from Brookes.

NB: This is not gospel, only what I've been told by friend at Oxford.

So yeah, two very segregated unis with a pretty intense dislike for one another.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2009
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.