Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As a Man Met student to be, i expect to get the the mickey taken by some people (not necessarily Manchester students, anyone in general) for being at a met. BUT i don't care because the course suits me really well, i'm going to enjoy my time there! :-). So that's all that matters at the end of the day.
    There'll be some snobby people at Manchester, just as there will be at any uni. And there'll be some complete idiots at MMU just as there are everywhere else. I don't think the rivalry would go much further than friendly banter though tbh.

ReputationRep:
    The same is true for Liverpool and JMU, there's a bit of friendly banter between the two, but the two students unions work together on ents and societies (a personal example is the two LINKS societies work very closely together).

As I said before, it's the same anywhere where there's more than one Uni, the proximity isnt the issue, there's a sporting rivalry (not quite on the scale of United vs City) and a bit of lighthearted banter, but truth be known you may end up living with people from the other Uni (I did in first year). Don't worry about, you're all students, you're all there to learn and have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screwyouguysimgoinghome)
    I hope you're joking. Oxford Brookes most certainly cannot rival Oxford. I would say cities with a redbrick and a met have very little rivalry since it is generally accepted the red bricks are superior.

The exception to this is London, where the likes of UCL, LSE and Imperial are genuinely closely matched in terms of reputation.
    Epic username btw.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to get past the stage where you assume you're "better" if you go to the uni not the met. Okay, for a typically standard course, say Maths, you wanna go to the University as it's ovbiously a better course and better respected by employers, but the met is fair better for other less "traditional" courses. Or there might just be a perfect course at the met that the uni doesn't do. It's all relative.

ReputationRep:
    I got offers from Both manchester uni and met, I firmed the met one because i wanted to do a subject with more practical applications than essays. Likewise with the North South rivalry, it only ever crosses my mind when people bring it up, more often than not southern people who don't even realise im from the north until I say so.

ReputationRep:
    Little bit of rivalry, yeah, Met sees Uni as snobbish and mostly full of Southerners (which does have some truth but is a gross generalisation), and Uni sees Met students as the ones who couldn't get into the 'better' uni (not necessarily true - Met has a bigger choice of combined courses and courses for people who aren't straight A students, which is good). Salford lies somewhere in between because it's a good university, not an ex-poly, but doesn't seem to have entry requirements as high as Manchester's. I would say any rivalry was between ignorant people who either feel superior or inferior and get angry about it. Not a big problem.

By the way, I am not a straight A student, I didn't even get one A...I'm just lucky to get into Manchester. I'd been to Met before and didn't want to go there again because I didn't feel a degree from there would benefit me in the field I wanted to go into.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.