The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on your definition of best.
Define best please.
Reply 2
It's certainly very academically challenging and impressive to anyone when you tell them you're studying it. I wish I could.
Reply 3
yes the best Undergraduate course
Miss Mary
It depends on your definition of best.
Define best please.

Thats the thing. How do we define what best or good is?

But if there was a measure of the best rounded degree e.g. earnings, time it takes to find a job , the jobs available and the social status attached etc... all the things that makes a degree

Would medicine top the charts?
Reply 5
Jack Sparrow
What do you think?

(Always been curious to know what TSR thinks).

Not if you want to be a lawyer it's not.

Dumb question.
Reply 6
Jack Sparrow

But if there was a measure of the best rounded degree e.g. earnings, time it takes to find a job , the jobs available and the social status attached etc... all the things that makes a degree

You have to factor in the fact that those capable of studying Medicine are (necessarily) very bright and so have a high earning potential anyway.
Reply 7
not if you don't wanna be a doctor. For example a medicine degree would be pretty useless for me who wants to be a solicitor.
Reply 8
Jack Sparrow

It would definitely be in that chart, but I don't know whether it would be at the top. I would never consider studying Medicine because of the sacrifice it requires, so my answer is no :o:
Reply 9
If you want to be a Doctor, Yes.

To me it's not.
In a word, no.
The best degree is the one you most enjoy.
Jack Sparrow

Thats not really what makes a degree though...some people study their degrees just for the love of it, not because of a job at the end of it, and with all the degrees that aren't vocational its very hard to generalise things like future earnings, available jobs, what time it will take to find a job etc. You could be a graduate from a well respected course who ends up in a low paying job, or from a course which isn't generally well respected who gets on a great grad scheme and makes megabucks.

You just can't really measure medicine against most other degrees in the way you suggest I think, as medicine is primarily training for a future career, rather than 'just a degree'.
Reply 13
Maths or Economics
Reply 14
I voted yes, just to be stubborn. It certainly is the best degree for me, but not for everyone. I know what you mean about the highest chances of employment etc and it does teach a LOT of different things so you come out of the degree with a lot of knowledge, however, there are drawbacks. The fact that it's not always as easy as people think to get a job after it, the fact that there are a whole lot of hours involved and not always do these pay as much as you could get doing less stressful jobs, suicide rates etc.

Degausser
In a word, no.

Where's the faith homie?
Jessaay!
I voted yes, just to be stubborn. It certainly is the best degree for me, but not for everyone. I know what you mean about the highest chances of employment etc and it does teach a LOT of different things so you come out of the degree with a lot of knowledge, however, there are drawbacks. The fact that it's not always as easy as people think to get a job after it, the fact that there are a whole lot of hours involved and not always do these pay as much as you could get doing less stressful jobs, suicide rates etc.

Where's the faith homie?

For me it is :awesome: , but going as far as to say it's the best degree is just stupid. I know lots of people that would hate it.

Dont worry :cool: Its all gravy.
Leviathon
Not if you want to be a lawyer it's not.

Dumb question.

I was talking more about an imaginary list of the best subjects at degree level.

On your logic all university rankings are useless. And if I asked is Oxford the best university you would be in a pickle. (You would have to list the courses individually.)

What is doing Law got to do with anything?
Reply 17
cconstant
not if you don't wanna be a doctor. For example a medicine degree would be pretty useless for me who wants to be a solicitor.

Well, if you had both you'd have an expertise on legal issues which involve medical matters. You might follow your degree in medicine with a graduate law degree, for example.
Reply 18
To repeat what Miss Mary and others have touched on, it depends on your definition of best. Someone may be very intelligent but not like science, then go down a different route like.....architecture or something. This may be the best degree for this person. Each and everyone is different.

Personally, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after leaving school, but ended up going in to study mental health nursing 2 years ago. Is is the best degree for me? Maybe, maybe not, I haven't done every degree there is to do.
Reply 19
grantrough
To repeat what Miss Mary and others have touched on, it depends on your definition of best. Someone may be very intelligent but not like science, then go down a different route like.....architecture or something. This may be the best degree for this person. Each and everyone is different.

Personally, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after leaving school, but ended up going in to study mental health nursing 2 years ago. Is is the best degree for me? Maybe, maybe not, I haven't done every degree there is to do.

This.

Latest