Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    See above.

Considering that he doesn't appear to be popular at all with the Armed Forces, seems to be lacking a spine, was a former Marxist and has denied the need for more chinhooks to be bought for Afghanistan.

Does this man even care enough about the armed forces to hold such a post, has he the credentials that you would expect from a SoS in their department and do you expect SoS's in general to have a genuine interest in their department rather than that of career progression?

Personally I think he's useless and only in the position he is in because he won't provide much opposition to Brown.

ReputationRep:
    He seems a bit thick to me.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the job.

ReputationRep:
    The Ministry of defence call him Bon Aintworth. He is far t stupid to be doing such an important job.

ReputationRep:
    Why did John Hutton go again?

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, after you've been in government for so long, you've been through almost all of the vaguely acceptable ministers. There's only so many Labour MPs who have half a brain, aren't too young, aren't ancient or haven't disgraced themselves.

Yes, I'd say he's a bit rubbish. But there are worse out there.

Bring back John Reid. At least people were scared of him. He was a defence force in himself.

ReputationRep:
    He has a 'tash and if that doesn't scream out of touch I don't know what does.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to be a complete vacuum of worthy ministers after the summers resignations. Andy Burnham at Health was a surprise too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The problem is, after you've been in government for so long, you've been through almost all of the vaguely acceptable ministers. There's only so many Labour MPs who have half a brain, aren't too young, aren't ancient or haven't disgraced themselves.
    This ^^^

The other problem is that the current PM is a micro-manager. Ministers do not have what they should have, and that is policy responsibility for their areas. They always have to clear it with Number 10 (as opposed to "co-ordinating" with number 10).

I don't buy the "strong leader" disciplinarian style of leadership. Personally I'd rather see a PM who was willing to give competent ministers a free reign on policy development and genuinely be accountable for that, rather than having the debacle of things like the gurkas. Did anyone believe Phil Woolas as immigration minister had any flexibility to make concessions without the PM's approval?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    He has a 'tash and if that doesn't scream out of touch I don't know what does.
    That's true.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.