Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if there's any International students heading to Manchester in the autumn. I'm pretty sure I saw a section for overseas students but I can't find it now. But yeah, are there any societies or groups or something at the university for us to go to when we're homesick etc ..

ReputationRep:
    well i'm not an uk national and i'm heading to manchester this autumn
    feel free to add me on yahoo , my id is on my profile.best of luck

ReputationRep:
    There's the international society, and Manchester has a looooot of international students. There's some kind of official figure somewhere.

Also, hello again

ReputationRep:
    hello...um heading to manchester this autumn if i achieve my grades dat is...which courses are you joining in..um in BA economics!!

and i got magazines posted in postal address and it says there are so many clubs and societies for interantional students that we wouldnt get bored at all

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Manchester vote BNP?

I hope I don't get chased by a angry racist mob of skin heads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Didn't Manchester vote BNP?

I hope I don't get chased by a angry racist mob of skin heads.
    I don't know about Manchester specifically, but at least in uni so many people are international that you'll be fine, and at uni, most people are LEFT wing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dubbelfitta)
    Just wondering if there's any International students heading to Manchester in the autumn. I'm pretty sure I saw a section for overseas students but I can't find it now. But yeah, are there any societies or groups or something at the university for us to go to when we're homesick etc ..
    Hey,im also an international student heading to Manchester All alone as a matter of fact,so dont youre not the only one,trust me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    hello...um heading to manchester this autumn if i achieve my grades dat is...which courses are you joining in..um in BA economics!!

and i got magazines posted in postal address and it says there are so many clubs and societies for interantional students that we wouldnt get bored at all
    im BA Econ too, but ive been in the UK for about 9 years. where are you from, if you dnt mind me asking. do you know anything about the Econ society that i hear ppl talking about?? what do they do in it?? im sure there'll b lots of friendly ppl, freshers week is where everyone look for new fds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michy_witchy)
    im BA Econ too, but ive been in the UK for about 9 years. where are you from, if you dnt mind me asking. do you know anything about the Econ society that i hear ppl talking about?? what do they do in it?? im sure there'll b lots of friendly ppl, freshers week is where everyone look for new fds.

nice to know dat we both are in the same course..um an international student from South Asia. Dhaka is the city's name. wher in UK u frm? I herd the Econ society is the largest in manchester uni..andd the most competitive one. hw did ur xams go?wat subs do u have? hope u meet the requirements. um quite doubtful abt mine.! just waitin fo 20th Aug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    nice to know dat we both are in the same course..um an international student from South Asia. Dhaka is the city's name. wher in UK u frm? I herd the Econ society is the largest in manchester uni..andd the most competitive one. hw did ur xams go?wat subs do u have? hope u meet the requirements. um quite doubtful abt mine.! just waitin fo 20th Aug
    I'm from Preston, but originally from Macau (Next to Hong Kong)

I have heard that the society is big as well, but if you're talking about competition, does that mean not everyone would get in it? im scared of having too much time on my hands and not enough to do

my exams went alright, the development modual exam was weird... gave us unexpected questions. i took Econ, Business and Maths as well as AS Further maths. i regret taking business cos lots of top econ unis dont like it manchester was the only uni that wanted me (out of the 5 i applid to) how about u? which did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Preston, but originally from Macau (Next to Hong Kong)

I have heard that the society is big as well, but if you're talking about competition, does that mean not everyone would get in it? im scared of having too much time on my hands and not enough to do

my exams went alright, the development modual exam was weird... gave us unexpected questions. i took Econ, Business and Maths as well as AS Further maths. i regret taking business cos lots of top econ unis dont like it manchester was the only uni that wanted me (out of the 5 i applid to) how about u? which did you apply to?
    oo...i had eco, accounting and maths..am waiting fo my eco results dis aug..other two i finished early in january..which board did u do? edexcel? i did edexcel! n my development unit went good..well um expecting it to be good:P

n i applied to loughborough, lse, ucl and manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    oo...i had eco, accounting and maths..am waiting fo my eco results dis aug..other two i finished early in january..which board did u do? edexcel? i did edexcel! n my development unit went good..well um expecting it to be good:P

n i applied to loughborough, lse, ucl and manchester
    accounting? i hear that some unis arent a big fan of this subject either which unis did you get offers from??

my college was with OCR, but i guess we probably did simliar things

i applied to oxford, lse, warrick, durham, manchester. went to oxford interview but didnt get in, but at least i got the experience durham rejected me because i didnt get A* in GCSE English!! that made me really angry cos im not even applying to do english!! :mad:

so looking forward to manchester! which accomd did u apply to??

ReputationRep:
    accounting? i hear that some unis arent a big fan of this subject either which unis did you get offers from??

my college was with OCR, but i guess we probably did simliar things

i applied to oxford, lse, warrick, durham, manchester. went to oxford interview but didnt get in, but at least i got the experience durham rejected me because i didnt get A* in GCSE English!! that made me really angry cos im not even applying to do english!! :mad:

so looking forward to manchester! which accomd did u apply to??

Wow..atleast u got called for an interview! i cn imagine wat sort of competition oxford mite have if manchester uni is having such problems due to high competition!!

damn...bt i guess manchester is lenient compared to oda unis u applied. some say dey are lenient some say deya arent..hu knws:P

:confused:

i dint apply fo accomodation..have a house dere so wud b living dere. jus kiping fingers crossed till 20th:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    Wow..atleast u got called for an interview! i cn imagine wat sort of competition oxford mite have if manchester uni is having such problems due to high competition!!

damn...bt i guess manchester is lenient compared to oda unis u applied. some say dey are lenient some say deya arent..hu knws:P

:confused:

i dint apply fo accomodation..have a house dere so wud b living dere. jus kiping fingers crossed till 20th:eek3:
    wow, have a house there! thats so handy!! are you thinking of advertising for room-mates to share the costs?

ReputationRep:
    wow, have a house there! thats so handy!! are you thinking of advertising for room-mates to share the costs?

nt actually...i wanted to stay in accom bt my parents want me to stay dere n so dat dey can visit me n stay wth me wen dey miss me n ol..lets seee...um thinking i mite move into dorms on the 2nd year plus my house is far away frm uni campus..close to manchester airport..so its gonna b pretty tuff fo me as i need to catch a bus on time to be on time fo da lectures n stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    nt actually...i wanted to stay in accom bt my parents want me to stay dere n so dat dey can visit me n stay wth me wen dey miss me n ol..lets seee...um thinking i mite move into dorms on the 2nd year plus my house is far away frm uni campus..close to manchester airport..so its gonna b pretty tuff fo me as i need to catch a bus on time to be on time fo da lectures n stuff
    o my :s i hate rush hour traffic and getting crammed with all the commuters in the morning and evenings i've applied for 3 city campus accomd so hopefully i can avoid the rush

ReputationRep:
    o my :s i hate rush hour traffic and getting crammed with all the commuters in the morning and evenings i've applied for 3 city campus accomd so hopefully i can avoid the rush

yea..u did a good ting...city campuses are the best places to live..everything is around the corner!

btw do u think dey'll be lenient this year abt the grades??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)
    yea..u did a good ting...city campuses are the best places to live..everything is around the corner!

as far as i know (i've read this on another thread on TSR ) , this year they won't be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san27)

First of welcome to all the prospective international students. Manchester has loads of international students, from pretty much everywhere, so you'll have no problem meeting other people from all over. With regards to BNP, Manchester didn't really vote BNP, most of the votes came from Oldham, and elsewhere in the North West, and they still only had under 10% of the vote. The Uni is a really awesome and tolerant place so you won't run into any trouble there.

With halls, City campus's may be good for some, but the Fallowfield halls (which are the biggest single site, with almost 4000 students living together) are only a 5 minute bus ride from the main campus are generally, cheaper, have a better more "student" orientated atmosphere, compared to the City Centre which is more "commercial". It depends what you're looking for, City Centre halls are a lot quieter as they are more spread out. Fallowfield Campus halls are all mental, but consequently very noisy a lot of the time.

About grades. Manchester tend be understanding, this doesn't mean easy. If you miss your grades by a small margin, but you have something else on your CV that makes up for it, (eg work experience, volunteer work something a little bit different) it can save your application. Although it does depend on how competitive your course is as well.

I'm about to start my second year at Manc, so any questions just PM me, or ask here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramryan)
    First of welcome to all the prospective international students. Manchester has loads of international students, from pretty much everywhere, so you'll have no problem meeting other people from all over. With regards to BNP, Manchester didn't really vote BNP, most of the votes came from Oldham, and elsewhere in the North West, and they still only had under 10% of the vote. The Uni is a really awesome and tolerant place so you won't run into any trouble there.

With halls, City campus's may be good for some, but the Fallowfield halls (which are the biggest single site, with almost 4000 students living together) are only a 5 minute bus ride from the main campus are generally, cheaper, have a better more "student" orientated atmosphere, compared to the City Centre which is more "commercial". It depends what you're looking for, City Centre halls are a lot quieter as they are more spread out. Fallowfield Campus halls are all mental, but consequently very noisy a lot of the time.

About grades. Manchester tend be understanding, this doesn't mean easy. If you miss your grades by a small margin, but you have something else on your CV that makes up for it, (eg work experience, volunteer work something a little bit different) it can save your application. Although it does depend on how competitive your course is as well.

I'm about to start my second year at Manc, so any questions just PM me, or ask here.
    what subject do you do?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 19, 2009
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.