Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Here is the situation:

    -Currently hold an offer to LSE MPA Public and Economic Policy for 2009 start

    -Currently have high paying entry level banking job in a good high profit niche (bankruptcy)

    -Originally applied for a 1 yr program, then was accepted to MPA (2 yrs)

    -Requested a deferral in order to have one more year of pay and more time to prepare finances/scholarships

    -REJECTED FOR DEFERRAL!

    Frankly a bit stunned and looking for any real concrete advice for my next move - setting aside philosophical "life decision" factors, does anyone have any pertinent experiences with LSE that could be helpful in my next steps???

    I realize there are worse places to be (choosing between a great job and a great school) and I don't want to come off as ungrateful - but my "ideal" scenario of work for one more year, then attend, has been taken away rather unexpectedly.

    My options are: 1) attend this fall (and snub my employer), 2) decline and keep my file on for next year (and risk not being readmitted) or 3) try to somehow convince them to grant me a deferral.

    I'd really like to defer - does anyone have any input?

    :confused: :eek:
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    I guess you have to apply again since you don't have the money.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hmm yea tough choice. It's between keeping your job and keeping your place in LSE. It may be a better choice to keep your job, especially in this current economic climate, where there's no guarantee that you'll get one which pays as well and has a good a career prospect as your current job.

    And you could just write in to them and appeal. Failing that, there's always next year!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I'm actually close on the money...based on my calcs I could self fund my first year out of savings, and hopefully during that time arrange a loan scheme/scholarships for the second year.

    I'm wondering if anyone here has ever declined an LSE offer, reinstated their application, and been accepted. I have to think my chances are at least 75% given the fact that I had an unconditional offer, and I will have one more year of solid work experience.

    Of course, there are no guarantees - so will probably have to apply to some backup plans then.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    My deferral for the MSc Comparative politics was rejected as well.

    I hold a conditional offer (haven't finish my undergrad yet) and I'm thinking on declining my offer and reinstating my application for the next year, is it a risky decision? what are my chances of getting into again? I dont know what to do, but i know i wanna go to lse!
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warstudies)
    Hey!
    My deferral for the MSc Comparative politics was rejected as well.

    I hold a conditional offer (haven't finish my undergrad yet) and I'm thinking on declining my offer and reinstating my application for the next year, is it a risky decision? what are my chances of getting into again? I dont know what to do, but i know i wanna go to lse!
    What reason did you give for the deferrel?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I said it was because i got an internship and because i didn't think it would be possible to submit all the documents required by the deadline.

    The internship is kind of unique. On the other hand, i think i got into lse by chance and i wouldnt like to tempt fate. I've always wanted to study there and i would deeply regret if i dont get an offer next year (although as far as i know reinstated applications are the first to be considered, so that works in my favor...)

    With one more year i could be able to apply for scholarships (all of them in my home country are already closed, i've never thought i would get into lse so i didnt apply to any); of course it's better to study with an scholarships, but ii's not a major concern in my case.

    i've my last exam the 1st of september, so it's not possible to get my degree this year and to do the internship at the same time. Imagine i turn down the option of the internship and i take the exam and my degree this septmber. My offer is conditional, so if all the documents dont arrive by the 22nd september i couldnt register at lse, so in the end, no internship and no LSE!
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reply
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.